Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

Again, I mentioned the last two games notwithstanding.
Before those two debacles (one is expected on the road vs Top 10 team), Iowa's margin of loss was 7 points per game. That's not getting blown out by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as I'm concerned, getting beat by an average of 7 to teams like Long Beach and South Dakota St. is just as bad as losing by 20 in conference play. Staying "competitive" with gutter teams is not "being competitive".

ISU's non-conf SOS is 326th in the nation; Iowa's non-conf SOS is 215th.

ISU's overall SOS is 250th, Iowa's overall SOS is 37th.

Let's be honest stormin, when we are talking the difference between 200 and 300 in non conference SOS, we are splitting hairs. Both aren't very good and show that both teams played nobody. I mean kenpom is breaking down the difference in SIU Edwardsville versus Dartmouth. Does it really matter? Both suck and are wins

And Iowa's SOS is better now because you have now played 4 games (against pretty damn good competition) versus ISU's 2 games. With that said Iowa is going to have a tougher SOS than ISU this year, no doubt. But in reality, not by much

Guys, I'm not calling for Fran's firing. Just saying that Iowa needed more of an instant impact than Iowa State did. Iowa needs wins to get fans in seats but that's not going to happen. More people are going to leave if anything. A coach that we could all relate to and get excited to see would have created an environment like Hilton has. We are approaching wins first, attendance second and we are no where close to winning enough to fill Carver. We needed to fill Carver first then make winning easier to come by. Tonight's game was obvious that no team is intimated to come to Carver.

Filling seats won't bring wins but wins will fill the seats. This year is all development and stabilization. Give it a few years and we will have the last laugh on ISU.

As far as I'm concerned, getting beat by an average of 7 to teams like Long Beach and South Dakota St. is just as bad as losing by 20 in conference play. Staying "competitive" with gutter teams is not "being competitive".
I'm just giving facts to those asking for them.

At face value, Iowa had every opportunity to win the SDSU game, the FTs at the end made the MOV higher than the game really was.

In the LBS game, Iowa was up double-digits late in the first half. Another game they let slip away, but I would say they were competitive in.

Almost all the games Iowa has played they have been competitive, sans the last two. They have flat out sucked those two games.

How many games would you say you have watched so far this year?

Last edited:
I'm just giving facts to those asking for them.

At face value, Iowa had every opportunity to win the SDSU game, the FTs at the end made the MOV higher than the game really was.

In the LBS game, Iowa was up double-digits late in the first half. Another game they let slip away, but I would say they were competitive in.

Almost all the games Iowa has played they have been competitive, sans the last two. They have flat out sucked those two games.

And you're missing my point entirely. My point is that "being competitive" means not losing to teams like this, no matter how close we played them.

Filling seats won't bring wins but wins will fill the seats. This year is all development and stabilization. Give it a few years and we will have the last laugh on ISU.

It's funny that you actually believe that. The way things are looking with who ISU has in the wings compared to Iowa, it will be many years before Iowa beats ISU again. Fran needs to start bringing in some athletes. He is bringing in good basketball players in Oglesby and White but those guys need athletes to free them up and get them open looks.

It's funny that you actually believe that. The way things are looking with who ISU has in the wings compared to Iowa, it will be many years before Iowa beats ISU again. Fran needs to start bringing in some athletes. He is bringing in good basketball players in Oglesby and White but those guys need athletes to free them up and get them open looks.
I sure as hell believe that Iowa is in a good place. Just because ISU has players waiting in the wings doesn't mean anything. The Iowa vs. ISU game was a good game and I don't see any team making that big of a leap that Iowa will go winless for years. Fran has a long way to go to rebuild the program but Freddy also has a long way to go in learning the coaching, recruiting of college basketball it's not as easy as saying "I'm Fred Hoiberg".

I'm not going to judge either program until year three, people have to give their coaches time to implement their style of play and what not.

Wow, I just happened upon this thread. Fran has been coaching us for what almost two months now? The problem as I see with Iowa basketball now is talent. Will Fran be able to get us talent, we will have to wait and see. But he brings in a couple freshman and a jc PG and inherits absolute crap. Gatens couldn't guard anyone and consistently makes the same defensive mistakes over and over. Yes, he can hit threes, when he is wide open.

If Fran can upgrade talent within a program whos image is toward the bottom of the conference, I will be impressed. Iowa basketball has always been about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Mostly the lack thereof.

I sure as hell believe that Iowa is in a good place. Just because ISU has players waiting in the wings doesn't mean anything. The Iowa vs. ISU game was a good game and I don't see any team making that big of a leap that Iowa will go winless for years. Fran has a long way to go to rebuild the program but Freddy also has a long way to go in learning the coaching, recruiting of college basketball it's not as easy as saying "I'm Fred Hoiberg".

I'm not going to judge either program until year three, people have to give their coaches time to implement their style of play and what not.

Iowa State will go from a team that doesn't make the NIT this year to a team that makes the NCAA tourney next year. The talent level on the bench is ridiculous and they will have been playing together for a year, so it isn't like they are incoming freshmen.

No doubt both have a long ways to go but Fred appears to have recruiting down pretty well at this point and he has shown nothing to suggest he isn't going to be a great coach.

I think Fran will do fine as well, it will just take him longer than it will for Freddy. Fran really needs to find a couple more Basabes to go along with guys like Oglesby and Gatens

Wow, I just happened upon this thread. Fran has been coaching us for what almost two months now? The problem as I see with Iowa basketball now is talent. Will Fran be able to get us talent, we will have to wait and see. But he brings in a couple freshman and a jc PG and inherits absolute crap. Gatens couldn't guard anyone and consistently makes the same defensive mistakes over and over. Yes, he can hit threes, when he is wide open.

If Fran can upgrade talent within a program whos image is toward the bottom of the conference, I will be impressed. Iowa basketball has always been about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Mostly the lack thereof.

You nailed it. It's all about bringing in talent.

I agree. I've believed for quite a while now that we need a coach that really can identify talent and successfully recruit it if we're going to turn this thing around, mostly because A) We don't exactly have a reputation as a good hoops program anymore and B) We don't have a state with a big population to recruit from like Illinois, MSU and OSU do.

In other words, we don't have an abundance of blue chip players itching to play for us because they grew up Hawkeye fans and/or think we have a great program. So it's a big challenge for us to get highly rated recruits, and an average to mediocre recruiter isn't going to bring in enough of that talent, IMO.

I believe that Fran is a good coach, but we don't have the necessary talent right now, and whether or not he can upgrade our talent enough to get us back on track I think remains to be seen. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that for a few years, though.

Another way to look at it.

Iowa's best wins:
Alabama - 49
UNI - 105

ISU's best wins:
Iowa - 74
Virginia - 97
Creighton - 99

Yep. Neither team has great wins. Like I said ISU's schedule this year was garbage (just what we needed though) but Iowa's was as well. Iowa State would have done just as well in non conference with Iowa's schedule.

Iowa losses in 2009 by points.

Start of Big Ten

Last edited:

Well ****, Iowa might as well not show up next year.

The same could be said about football and the talent that Iowa has waiting in the wings compared to ISU and it will be many years before ISU wins again. See how stupid that sounds?

Iowa State will go from a team that doesn't make the NIT this year to a team that makes the NCAA tourney next year. The talent level on the bench is ridiculous and they will have been playing together for a year, so it isn't like they are incoming freshmen.

No doubt both have a long ways to go but Fred appears to have recruiting down pretty well at this point and he has shown nothing to suggest he isn't going to be a great coach.

I think Fran will do fine as well, it will just take him longer than it will for Freddy. Fran really needs to find a couple more Basabes to go along with guys like Oglesby and Gatens
Talent is talent, doesn't mean a darn thing. Far as I know they still play the game on the floor and not on paper?

Can I ask who on the roster has Freddy recruited? Don't think there is a player on the roster who has seen the floor that Freddy has recruited? Other than players leaving other programs and coming to ISU he hasn't recruited has he?

Talent is talent, doesn't mean a darn thing. Far as I know they still play the game on the floor and not on paper?

Can I ask who on the roster has Freddy recruited? Don't think there is a player on the roster who has seen the floor that Freddy has recruited? Other than players leaving other programs and coming to ISU he hasn't recruited has he?

If you think those transfers just showed up on ISU's doorstep you are sadly mistaken.

Latest posts