Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

They could. Or they could turn into the Recker/Evans team of 2001, a team that was supposed to steamroll through the league, but couldn't stay out of it's own way, finished 7-9 in the conference and had to win the Big 10 tournament to get into the dance.

ISU is going to put a talented team on the floor next year, but it won't matter if they can't work together. For ISU fans to put next years team into the NCAA tournament before this season is even over is a bit premature, wouldn't you agree?

I didn't say I guaranteed they would be. I said that I would wager on them making the tournament. I just think they will have a good enough team to make it judging by what Fred is doing with the current roster and the pieces that will be added. I think the key is that those transfers fill huge voids and will piece the team together nicely. I may be wrong, but it's a prediction.

I think the reference to "thugs" is on the basis of the character of a few of your transfers and the academic standing of some of them. The fact is that the Big 12 has very graceful transfer regulations regarding academics. This is why you see a lot of players transfer to the Big 12 in both football and basketball. Iowa and the Big Ten have much more strict acadmeic transfer requirements. Hence why Iowa and other Big Ten schools don't get a lot of transfers.

Cyclone fans won't like this because they want to pride themselves on being an academic institution, which in comparison to the Big 12 they are, but the Big 12 in general isn't on par with the Big Ten when it comes to academic requirements for their STUDENT-athletes. But Fred will do whatever it takes to win at all costs - an advantage Big 12 teams have over Big Ten teams.

Haha, the irony of this is the fact that 2 of the transfers were eligible in the Big Ten for multiple years. Your points on academics are almost right but the difference isn't huge. It is big enough to make it very difficult to transfer in and that varies within conference. Michigan, for instance hasn't had a JUCO transfer in as long as I can remember and actually, I can't name a transfer at all off the top of my head. Yes, there is a slightly more strict code in the Big Ten but it's not across a whole team. It's broken into sections. The Big 12 will allow their teams to accept more minimum qualifiers while I believe the Big Ten has a lower allotment. At least that's how I understand it. Besides that, all that matters is the results on the floor. There's unintelligent beings coming out of all conferences.

Interesting, considering the police reports and most everything else published about DJK pointed to his roommate when it came to trafficking and dealing and whatnot. But, DJK does have a "trial" coming up fairly soon, so we'll all find out then.

Come on, I know you know better than that. I'm not saying DJK is guilty but I'm not going to go simply off of what he said. At the very least, he knew about it and did nothing to keep himself out of it.

I don't like the fact that there are people referring to ISU BB players as thugs. That is not a correct statement. Royce White has run afoul of the law on a few occasions, not what I would call a thug, however imo, he shouldn't have been allowed into ISU. That's a bad and desperate move on Fred's part. If you think he isn't looking out for himself with the White situation, then your naive. Does he want to see the kid succeed? Of course! However, he knows damn good and well that he needs "players" and he's sparing no expense with White. With that said, I'll still be shocked if he ever plays at ISU.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't play for ISU.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't play for ISU.

I hate to say it, but I agree. If he has enrolled for the Spring Semester, he will most likely stick around until next year. Otherwise, why wouldn't he have transferred already? And as I much as I hate to admit it, if he didnt see potential for a great team next year, why would he stick around? Could be a long 3 years for us Hawks playing against him.

I don't like the fact that there are people referring to ISU BB players as thugs. That is not a correct statement. Royce White has run afoul of the law on a few occasions, not what I would call a thug, however imo, he shouldn't have been allowed into ISU. That's a bad and desperate move on Fred's part. If you think he isn't looking out for himself with the White situation, then your naive. Does he want to see the kid succeed? Of course! However, he knows damn good and well that he needs "players" and he's sparing no expense with White. With that said, I'll still be shocked if he ever plays at ISU.

This just reeks of jealousy and hypocrisy.

How any Iowa fan is able to make comments about another teams players in regards to their character is absolutely ridiculous.

IMO we need to be very careful when referring to any players from other schools thugs. We've had a very embarrassing run the last several years with thugs.

GSR percentages regarding Iowa/Big Ten versus Iowa State/Big 12 academic standings.

Northwestern: 95
Penn State:
Iowa:
Illinois:
Michigan:
Indiana:
Wisconsin:
Ohio State:
Purdue:
Minnesota:
Michigan State:

Oklahoma State: 92%
Nebraska: 82%
Kansas: 80%
Texas A&M: 64%
Oklahoma: 55%
Missouri: 44%
Texas Tech: 44%
Colorado: 43%
Texas: 42%
Kansas State: 40%
Baylor: 38%
Iowa State: 35%

It would be great if they tracked arrest, jail time % by school. Our players must go back to school and graduate after the get out of jail.

GSR percentages regarding Iowa/Big Ten versus Iowa State/Big 12 academic standings.

Northwestern: 95
Penn State:
Iowa:
Illinois:
Michigan:
Indiana:
Wisconsin:
Ohio State:
Purdue:
Minnesota:
Michigan State:

Oklahoma State: 92%
Nebraska: 82%
Kansas: 80%
Texas A&M: 64%
Oklahoma: 55%
Missouri: 44%
Texas Tech: 44%
Colorado: 43%
Texas: 42%
Kansas State: 40%
Baylor: 38%
Iowa State: 35%

This just reeks of jealousy and hypocrisy.

How any Iowa fan is able to make comments about another teams players in regards to their character is absolutely ridiculous.

Basketball guy, basketball. Besides, Iowa has KICKED off all the players that ran a foul of the law recently. Iowa St. is bringing one in on the other hand. One btw, that the U of Minnesota no longer wanted in school. Now, if you could show me an example of a player Iowa has brought in from another school after that player has been in trouble numerous times, then you'll have an argument, but you won't find one.

Ok, I have read through the 10 pages of this and am left to wonder why Iowa/ISU love to compare one to another. Iowa/ISU are not in the same conference and will only play one time per year. I don't think we will ever meet in a Final Four, not in my lifetime anyway and we are rarely in the NCAA tournament at the same time...that is sad for both program.
Back to the "splash" hire thing, I am not sold on Hoiberg, except to say that he has surrounded himself with some good assistants. The same can be said for Fran, he brought in a lot of experience to Iowa with him.
In the comparisons, I see a lot of talk about the transfers and that is fine, but don't get caught into the web that Iowa did and think that every transfer will pan out and be great. You still have to recruit quality freshman that are going to stick, that is where Iowa failed a lot lately. How will ISU maintain that level of "talent" when these transfers leave, Allen will be a senior, unless I am mistaken and I think Babb will be a Junior, maybe Senior and obviously White will be a what, I guess I don't know.
Fran has not reached to transfers yet, except Cartwright, but he has added some attributes Iowa has lacked. You can say Fran didn't recruit Marble/McCabe, but he also had to convince them to stay before they ever set foot on campus, so he did recruit them. Of Fran's recruits there are 5 freshman and 1 transfer, I like this ratio a lot because those freshman, unless they leave are there for four years and the roster will work together for those years. Stability is a big thing to me, look at the top programs, they always have quality senior classes, they many not be the stars of the teams in all cases, but they are players that have been there. Iowa has had no stability in years on the roster for many reasons and that has been the biggest factor in their demise. Look when Iowa had a good senior class, it was with Horner/Brunner who were the leaders and had been there.
The ISU-Iowa rivalry has lost its luster the last few years, but the time where Drake/UNI are the best teams in the state are soon to be over, if they aren't now, expect both Iowa and ISU to dominate these teams moving forward, the way it used to be. Both programs cannot be fully judged for some time, but I think both fanbases should be happy with each coach.
The only splash hire Iowa could have made was Frank Martin, IMO.
I am upset with the overall performance of Iowa in its last two games and could see it happen more, but the Iowa program is moving forward, not backwards. It is a process and when Iowa can just get a full roster and can overcome an injury or two with its depth there won't be the blowouts and disappointments.

For all you Cyclone fans saying Fred should be COY, I would say the Colorado coach has more credentials. He is in his 1st season and has them 3-0 in Big 12, 14-4 overall with wins over Oklahoma State, Missouri and Kansas State. Fred's best win is over a 7-9 Iowa team. How is that Colorado can be so good in their first year? They have worse fan apathy than Iowa.

For all you Cyclone fans saying Fred should be COY, I would say the Colorado coach has more credentials. He is in his 1st season and has them 3-0 in Big 12, 14-4 overall with wins over Oklahoma State, Missouri and Kansas State. Fred's best win is over a 7-9 Iowa team. How is that Colorado can be so good in their first year? They have worse fan apathy than Iowa.

Colorado is good, no doubt, and their coach deserves credit for it. The big difference between them and Iowa/ISU is the makeup of the team. They have 9 upperclassmen on the roster and 4 of their 5 highest scorers are seniors.

ISU is a young team, and Iowa is even younger. Any 1st year coaching job is going to be tough, but having a team with little experience makes it even tougher.

no one saidf anything about COY, relax. we have lived up to our expecations(meaning havent done squat), while ISU has surpassed the low expecatations.

Basketball guy, basketball. Besides, Iowa has KICKED off all the players that ran a foul of the law recently. Iowa St. is bringing one in on the other hand. One btw, that the U of Minnesota no longer wanted in school. Now, if you could show me an example of a player Iowa has brought in from another school after that player has been in trouble numerous times, then you'll have an argument, but you won't find one.

Just because a few players were kicked off the team after the violations (read: rape, drugs, assault) occurred doesn't mean they don't count.

Just so I know where you are coming from, it's ok for Clayborne to beat up a cab driver and stay on the team, but it's not ok for White to steal a pair of jeans and be given a second chance.

But as I was alluding to earlier, you would have a completely different outlook on the situation if White had gone to Iowa. Your stance is completely based off jealousy and before you try to prove me wrong from some moral high horse perspective, trust me I won't buy it so don't bother wasting your time.

Ok, I have read through the 10 pages of this and am left to wonder why Iowa/ISU love to compare one to another. Iowa/ISU are not in the same conference and will only play one time per year. I don't think we will ever meet in a Final Four, not in my lifetime anyway and we are rarely in the NCAA tournament at the same time...that is sad for both program.
Back to the "splash" hire thing, I am not sold on Hoiberg, except to say that he has surrounded himself with some good assistants. The same can be said for Fran, he brought in a lot of experience to Iowa with him.
In the comparisons, I see a lot of talk about the transfers and that is fine, but don't get caught into the web that Iowa did and think that every transfer will pan out and be great. You still have to recruit quality freshman that are going to stick, that is where Iowa failed a lot lately. How will ISU maintain that level of "talent" when these transfers leave, Allen will be a senior, unless I am mistaken and I think Babb will be a Junior, maybe Senior and obviously White will be a what, I guess I don't know.
Fran has not reached to transfers yet, except Cartwright, but he has added some attributes Iowa has lacked. You can say Fran didn't recruit Marble/McCabe, but he also had to convince them to stay before they ever set foot on campus, so he did recruit them. Of Fran's recruits there are 5 freshman and 1 transfer, I like this ratio a lot because those freshman, unless they leave are there for four years and the roster will work together for those years. Stability is a big thing to me, look at the top programs, they always have quality senior classes, they many not be the stars of the teams in all cases, but they are players that have been there. Iowa has had no stability in years on the roster for many reasons and that has been the biggest factor in their demise. Look when Iowa had a good senior class, it was with Horner/Brunner who were the leaders and had been there.
The ISU-Iowa rivalry has lost its luster the last few years, but the time where Drake/UNI are the best teams in the state are soon to be over, if they aren't now, expect both Iowa and ISU to dominate these teams moving forward, the way it used to be. Both programs cannot be fully judged for some time, but I think both fanbases should be happy with each coach.
The only splash hire Iowa could have made was Frank Martin, IMO.
I am upset with the overall performance of Iowa in its last two games and could see it happen more, but the Iowa program is moving forward, not backwards. It is a process and when Iowa can just get a full roster and can overcome an injury or two with its depth there won't be the blowouts and disappointments.

ISU has more freshmen coming into their program next year than Iowa does. I have no concern about when the transfers leave. Recruiting is going well and the wins that the transfers accrue will only help.

So Iowa should have hired a "coach" with no experience just because he is a former player in order to "excite" the fan base. How long do you think fans would show up just to "see" B.J. Armstron, etc.? Not long.

I'd rather have a coach that actually knows what he is doing.

Ryno, you must not have attended any games. I've been to all the home games this year. Fans ARE starting to come back (although last night's debacle isn't going to help) and they ARE getting more excited.

It isn't going to happen overnight. And making a "splash" hire would do nothing but end up setting the program back even farther.
Just because a guy is considered a splash hire doesn't mean he will be bad. It is't one or the other between a coach knowing what he is doing and being a 'splash hire'.
There is really no point to saying that it is one or the other.

I see over at CF they are caught in a dilemma. Some are very concerned that they are going to lose Fred to the NBA and others say this is a dream job, he wont leave.

Latest posts