Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

Iowa could use some "thugs" right about now imo.

I agree! Fran should look for some recruits that would "pay for play". Calapari got away with it at Memphis and now at Kentucky. If Iowa gets in trouble, so what. It couldn't get any worse then where we are now. At least we would be relevant again. :rolleyes:

Iowa could use some "thugs" right about now imo.

Agreed. Hopefully I'm wrong, but gut feeling tells me that Fran may have to end up taking a few chances on some guys.

Feel free to add to this list, but the way I see it, there are four types of players you can attempt to recruit:

1) Blue Chippers - We all know what these are, and our odds of outdueling UNC, UK, KU, etc. for these types of players

2) "3-star" types that are decent players but with limited skillsets or athletic ability - This seems to be mostly the types of players we have been getting in recent years. Mostly these would seem to be the role players on Top-20 teams.

3) Projects - We've had some of these too. I'm pretty much talking about players recruited mainly just by mid-majors, who are very raw and might be able to contribute something when they are juniors or seniors

4) Talented players with past academic/attitude issues - I guess guys like Royce White, Kaylon Williams, etc.

Fran already said he doesn't want to recruit projects, so I guess strike down #3. If we can't get #1, then that leaves #2 and #4. It seems likely to me that we might have to roll the dice on a few #4's at some point if we want to significantly upgrade our talent level, and potentially risk a little bit of the baggage that can come with it.

Agreed. Hopefully I'm wrong, but gut feeling tells me that Fran may have to end up taking a few chances on some guys.

Feel free to add to this list, but the way I see it, there are four types of players you can attempt to recruit:

1) Blue Chippers - We all know what these are, and our odds of outdueling UNC, UK, KU, etc. for these types of players

2) "3-star" types that are decent players but with limited skillsets or athletic ability - This seems to be mostly the types of players we have been getting in recent years. Mostly these would seem to be the role players on Top-20 teams.

3) Projects - We've had some of these too. I'm pretty much talking about players recruited mainly just by mid-majors, who are very raw and might be able to contribute something when they are juniors or seniors

4) Talented players with past academic/attitude issues - I guess guys like Royce White, Kaylon Williams, etc.

Fran already said he doesn't want to recruit projects, so I guess strike down #3. If we can't get #1, then that leaves #2 and #4. It seems likely to me that we might have to roll the dice on a few #4's at some point if we want to significantly upgrade our talent level, and potentially risk a little bit of the baggage that can come with it.

Alford did all 4!
Lick was stuck with just #4

I'm curious who you're implying is a thug besides Royce White. I'll give you that one, I wasn't real happy to hear we picked him up. Although, he's apparently been a model student so far (yes, it's a long time till next season).

But as for any others, who do you mean?

You weren't happy that we picked up Royce White?

He's far from a "thug" he has made mistakes yes, but so has everyone.

Fran is a good coach, he will get it done.

Fred is a good coach as well, and he will also get it done.

I couldn't care less if ISU's academic requirements are lower than Iowa's. I've heard it argued that they are not but I don't care enough to research or argue about it. I want ISU student athletes to be in good academic standing, however. Whatever the hell that means any more.

I wasn't happy with the Royce White transfer originally either. From what I hear he's been great on all accounts. Fred had to make the call and if it blows up it's on Fred. I do agree 100% with getting the transfers to jump start the program. It's much easier to recruit if there are wins to show. ISU had a class balance issue that the transfers fit in with as well.

I think the reference to "thugs" is on the basis of the character of a few of your transfers and the academic standing of some of them. The fact is that the Big 12 has very graceful transfer regulations regarding academics. This is why you see a lot of players transfer to the Big 12 in both football and basketball. Iowa and the Big Ten have much more strict acadmeic transfer requirements. Hence why Iowa and other Big Ten schools don't get a lot of transfers.

Cyclone fans won't like this because they want to pride themselves on being an academic institution, which in comparison to the Big 12 they are, but the Big 12 in general isn't on par with the Big Ten when it comes to academic requirements for their STUDENT-athletes. But Fred will do whatever it takes to win at all costs - an advantage Big 12 teams have over Big Ten teams.

Hawkeyeryno, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Big 10 teams don't have the luxury to "win at all costs?" Where the hell have you been? Ohio State in football this year? As well as past years? Minnesota basketball? The fab Five at Michigan. Ohio State in basketball. Indiana under Kelvin Sampson.

And Iowa State isn't bringing in kids that are poor students! Chris Allen was in the Big 10 for 3 years as a student. How is Iowa State taking in kids that can't get into Big 10 schools? 3 of them were already in Big 10 schools!

Awful and uninformed post on your part

I said it before and I'll say it again: The ISU team thug is Scotty C. Nobody does a throat slashing gesture and gets away with it! NOBODY! He is straight thug livin! Hell, he's probably got a drug cartel running out of his own house... oh wait....

Seriously guys, can we stop calling ISU's transfers thugs? When in reality the people doing it are just jealous and would love to have just 1 of those transfers on our team. I know I would.

IMO, ISU sold its soul when it started getting thugs for recruits. The NBA type mentality used in that recruiting process will catch up to them and I am hoping so sooner than later. Your losing any hope of keeping your Iowa values intact. That is more important than getting wins sooner than later. If u want to be like the legalized gangs we call the NBA, then go for it but it is nothing to be proud of.

Let's be a little more stereotypical, shall we?

From what I've read in this thread there seems to be a decent amount of retread, so I'll paint with a broad brush here.

#1 - Fred has no experience as a head coach.

This is true, but that is where Bobby Lutz comes in. Let alone the fact that Fran doesn't have any HC experience in major conference basketball either.

#2 - Fred hasn't recruited anyone.

Well this is just plain idiotic. Chris Allen, Chris Babb, Royce White, Anthony Booker, Tavon Sledge, Tyrus McGee, and Jake Anderson. For those that are uninformed, yes Jake Anderson was a transfer, but due to graduating from Northern Illinois and enrolling in a graduate program at ISU, he didn't have to sit out a year.

#3 - Fred is only recruiting thugs.

Really? I mean honestly, coming from Iowa fans that is incredibly hypocritical to begin with and second, the only player that has had a misstep would be Royce White. I guess you can add in Chris Allen for having a disagreement with Izzo, but if having a disagreement at some point in your life makes you a thug, I guess we are all thugs.

#4 - ISU has easier academic standards for transfers than Iowa.

This is by far and away the dumbest of all arguments. The two schools are sister schools and both are state schools in the same damn state. They have the exact same admittance requirements. ISU holds the exact same academic accreditations that are needed to be a school in the Big 10. To say that players are able to go to ISU because it's "easier to get in" is not only uninformed, but plain mouth breathing, knuckle dragging dumb.

Those that are playing for FH right now seem to be working together great, hence the fact that a team minus it's two best players from last year (brackins, gilstrap) and with no depth at all is currently exceeding all expectations. there has been no indication that anything will change next year. Everything that has been said is that the players are completely bought into Fred (even the "thug(s)") and that they love playing under him. Who are you to say things will change and that they will not live up to the hype, other than of course an outright hater?

Considering that you quoted me, it is odd that you didn't address anything I said. Not even a little bit.

You lost me. What does CF have to do with calling ISU basketball players thugs?

You seem like a pretty smart guy. Figure it out. Actually, never mind - I'll spell it out for you.

Cyclone fans coming to this board and complaining about one Iowa fan calling Freddies boys "thugs" is very ironic, especially when you consider the bile that gets spewed at the Iowa football team at Cyclone Fanatic.

You don't take offense when your own folks call Iowa players thugs, but you come here and act offended when it goes the other way? Mind your glass house.

Last edited:
You seem like a pretty smart guy. Figure it out. Actually, never mind - I'll spell it out for you.

Cyclone fans coming to this board and complaining about one Iowa fan calling Freddies boys "thugs" is very ironic, especially when you consider the bile that gets spewed at the Iowa football team at Cyclone Fanatic.

You don't take offense when your own folks call Iowa players thugs, but you come here and act offended when it goes the other way? Mind your glass house.
Pretty sure there was a drug cartel busted and two football players on trial for rape.... hmmm. can you blame them? shada how old are you, 14? you post a lot of narrow minded, none sense. definitely dont have a girlfriend do you?

Pretty sure there was a drug cartel busted and two football players on trial for rape.... hmmm. can you blame them? shada how old are you, 14? you post a lot of narrow minded, none sense. definitely dont have a girlfriend do you?

A drug cartel? One guy is a cartel? The rape case was three years ago, to imply that it has anything to do with what is happening right now is.....narrow minded. I also wasn't aware that Everson and Satterfield were still on the team. I could swear that Kirk booted them before they were even charged with anything.

Nope, I don't have a girlfriend. I have a wife of seven years, two kids, own my own home, have three dogs, etc... I'll also be 31 this April. Anything else you're interested in knowing about me? Hair color?

I'm not complaining and am not the least bit offended. Call them thugs all you like. I just disagree with the opinion. I don't care about Iowa football players, frankly.

I don't like the fact that there are people referring to ISU BB players as thugs. That is not a correct statement. Royce White has run afoul of the law on a few occasions, not what I would call a thug, however imo, he shouldn't have been allowed into ISU. That's a bad and desperate move on Fred's part. If you think he isn't looking out for himself with the White situation, then your naive. Does he want to see the kid succeed? Of course! However, he knows damn good and well that he needs "players" and he's sparing no expense with White. With that said, I'll still be shocked if he ever plays at ISU.

A drug cartel? One guy is a cartel? The rape case was three years ago, to imply that it has anything to do with what is happening right now is.....narrow minded. I also wasn't aware that Everson and Satterfield were still on the team. I could swear that Kirk booted them before they were even charged with anything.

Nope, I don't have a girlfriend. I have a wife of seven years, two kids, own my own home, have three dogs, etc... I'll also be 31 this April. Anything else you're interested in knowing about me? Hair color?
As much as I hate to agree, yes, a drug cartel can be as big as a world wide organization, to as little as one person drug trafficking out of their own house.

As much as I hate to agree, yes, a drug cartel can be as big as a world wide organization, to as little as one person drug trafficking out of their own house.

Interesting, considering the police reports and most everything else published about DJK pointed to his roommate when it came to trafficking and dealing and whatnot. But, DJK does have a "trial" coming up fairly soon, so we'll all find out then.

Interesting, considering the police reports and most everything else published about DJK pointed to his roommate when it came to trafficking and dealing and whatnot. But, DJK does have a "trial" coming up fairly soon, so we'll all find out then.
I wasn't saying he was guilty, but didn't he test positive for some various types of drugs?
And even though he may have not been the one doing the actual trafficking, it took place in the house he lived in, which makes him partly responsible. It would be like me tagging along with my friends to commit a robbery, but I didn't actually take anything.

Latest posts