Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

the point I was making is that fred CAN coach and it has clearly been illustrated thus far by what he has been able to do with the talent, or lack there of, he was left with. sorry to disappoint all of those that were hoping he would be in over his head and fall on his face.

like LeBron said... "Karma is a b****. Gets you every time. It's not good to wish bad on anybody"

ISU will finish with a winning record this year, Iowa will be lucky to reach double digit wins

I may be in the minority but I have not been holding out for Fred to fall on his face. Fred is like a Kirk Ferentz in the sense you have to like the guy because he just seems so damn nice.

I went to ISU and covered ISU basketball when Fred was there and interviewed him on several occasions. He is a good guy. I hope he does do well. I think you are trying to hard coming to an Iowa message board and defending Fred ... Or basically, creating a little chaos when this post really has little to do with Fred.

Iowa and ISU are both poor programs right now. I absolutely believe the edge goes to ISU in terms of excitement and expectations starting next season.

What will count for ISU is how they do in the Big 12 next season when they do have these talented players on the roster. It is not just about having talent on the roster; as the coach you need to be able to manage those players and coach them and teach them to win.

Fred has done a nice job thus far. I have actually been impressed with ISU this year. The ISU schedule is similar to Iowa's schedule ... very weak.

I may be in the minority but I have not been holding out for Fred to fall on his face. Fred is like a Kirk Ferentz in the sense you have to like the guy because he just seems so damn nice.

I went to ISU and covered ISU basketball when Fred was there and interviewed him on several occasions. He is a good guy. I hope he does do well. I think you are trying to hard coming to an Iowa message board and defending Fred ... Or basically, creating a little chaos when this post really has little to do with Fred.

Iowa and ISU are both poor programs right now. I absolutely believe the edge goes to ISU in terms of excitement and expectations starting next season.

What will count for ISU is how they do in the Big 12 next season when they do have these talented players on the roster. It is not just about having talent on the roster; as the coach you need to be able to manage those players and coach them and teach them to win.

Fred has done a nice job thus far. I have actually been impressed with ISU this year. The ISU schedule is similar to Iowa's schedule ... very weak.

I don't want Fred to fail either. He is a good guy as far as we know but for clone fans to say he is a good coach is like you say premature. He has never coached at any level and playing is just not the same. He hired a guy that has and that is smart. He also did an excellent job at getting some talent there. That may or may not pan out. Time will tell.

I love reading Clown delusion as much as anyone. On second thought, thanks for this thread.:D Fred is smart but to say that he can coach after half a season is just stupid. He has an assistant coach that knows what he is doing and "recruited" some talent that might play next year. But, you have scoreboard on the Hawks this year so congrats. You are welcome for making Christopherson look like Mark Price, only time that has happened all season for us!!!

Where's the delusion? DO you think that they won't make the tournament next year? I would wager on that. The scout teams beats the starters by 20 points right now on a regular basis. Am I going to say it will be purely do to in game coaching by Fred? No, I won't but basketball is a recruiting game in terms of consistency. If you get talent, you often win. Of course, there's exceptions on both sides but if he can get some wins, bump up recruiting another notch, and get the hang of coaching, there is a bright future. Next year they will bring in White, a returning FInal Four player in Allen, another shooter in Babb and a physical inside presence in Booker. Add that to Ejim, Cristopherson, Godfrey, Railey, Sledge, Cook, and McGee and IMO, you have a pretty stellar roster. They will be much deeper and overall more talented. The key will be the PG spot but I think McGee and Sledge along with Bubu will be fine.

It's funny that you actually believe that. The way things are looking with who ISU has in the wings compared to Iowa, it will be many years before Iowa beats ISU again. Fran needs to start bringing in some athletes. He is bringing in good basketball players in Oglesby and White but those guys need athletes to free them up and get them open looks.

IMO, ISU sold its soul when it started getting thugs for recruits. The NBA type mentality used in that recruiting process will catch up to them and I am hoping so sooner than later. Your losing any hope of keeping your Iowa values intact. That is more important than getting wins sooner than later. If u want to be like the legalized gangs we call the NBA, then go for it but it is nothing to be proud of.

How has it been proven that Fred can coach? ISU played the worst (or close to it) non-conference schedule in the country, and his team got gassed against Nebraska. ISU may well finish above .500 overall (it seems like it would take a pretty monumental collapse to not achieve that) but just like Iowa, they're not going to sniff the top 1/2 of the league standings.

I don't think Iowa is going to be sniffing the top of the bottom 2 in conference.

IMO, ISU sold its soul when it started getting thugs for recruits. The NBA type mentality used in that recruiting process will catch up to them and I am hoping so sooner than later. Your losing any hope of keeping your Iowa values intact. That is more important than getting wins sooner than later. If u want to be like the legalized gangs we call the NBA, then go for it but it is nothing to be proud of.

Again, I'm curious as to who the "thugs" are on the team.

I'll give you Royce White, who so far has been a model citizen at ISU. But who else?

Honestly interested why this perception is out there.

Calling ISU players thugs is a defense mechanism. I consider it a compliment considering that it has no merit. Beyond White there's nothing and he's been a model citizen...so far.

Where's the delusion? DO you think that they won't make the tournament next year? I would wager on that. The scout teams beats the starters by 20 points right now on a regular basis. Am I going to say it will be purely do to in game coaching by Fred? No, I won't but basketball is a recruiting game in terms of consistency. If you get talent, you often win. Of course, there's exceptions on both sides but if he can get some wins, bump up recruiting another notch, and get the hang of coaching, there is a bright future. Next year they will bring in White, a returning FInal Four player in Allen, another shooter in Babb and a physical inside presence in Booker. Add that to Ejim, Cristopherson, Godfrey, Railey, Sledge, Cook, and McGee and IMO, you have a pretty stellar roster. They will be much deeper and overall more talented. The key will be the PG spot but I think McGee and Sledge along with Bubu will be fine.

They could. Or they could turn into the Recker/Evans team of 2001, a team that was supposed to steamroll through the league, but couldn't stay out of it's own way, finished 7-9 in the conference and had to win the Big 10 tournament to get into the dance.

ISU is going to put a talented team on the floor next year, but it won't matter if they can't work together. For ISU fans to put next years team into the NCAA tournament before this season is even over is a bit premature, wouldn't you agree?

Calling ISU players thugs is a defense mechanism. I consider it a compliment considering that it has no merit. Beyond White there's nothing and he's been a model citizen...so far.

Is that what they're calling it these days. You have been to Cyclone Fanatic haven't you?

Back to the original topic.....way too early to tell anything. However, I would like for us to mix in a little defense every once in a while. (maybe every other trip...maybe guard a shooter?)

They could. Or they could turn into the Recker/Evans team of 2001, a team that was supposed to steamroll through the league, but couldn't stay out of it's own way, finished 7-9 in the conference and had to win the Big 10 tournament to get into the dance.

ISU is going to put a talented team on the floor next year, but it won't matter if they can't work together. For ISU fans to put next years team into the NCAA tournament before this season is even over is a bit premature, wouldn't you agree?

Those that are playing for FH right now seem to be working together great, hence the fact that a team minus it's two best players from last year (brackins, gilstrap) and with no depth at all is currently exceeding all expectations. there has been no indication that anything will change next year. Everything that has been said is that the players are completely bought into Fred (even the "thug(s)") and that they love playing under him. Who are you to say things will change and that they will not live up to the hype, other than of course an outright hater?

How has it been proven that Fred can coach? ISU played the worst (or close to it) non-conference schedule in the country, and his team got gassed against Nebraska. ISU may well finish above .500 overall (it seems like it would take a pretty monumental collapse to not achieve that) but just like Iowa, they're not going to sniff the top 1/2 of the league standings.

I think it showed that he has some coaching ability by being able to stay close with Kansas and really only having 7 players. They have no bench, no real talent to speak of. The success of the Hoiberg hire will be evident when and if he is able to recruit talent.

I wish Fran could learn to coach D. Teams with shooters are salivating thinking about playing us... EVERY team we play shoots lights out. What really scares me is it's been known for several games and Fran is not making adjustments. Isn't that what coaches do?

Is that what they're calling it these days. You have been to Cyclone Fanatic haven't you?

What else can it be? How are ISU players thugs? The only one you can call that is White. None of the other players he brought in have ever been in trouble. At all.

It's uninformed and covered in jealousy when Hawk fans call ISU recruits thugs

It is all about expectations. ISU and IOWA had little to none. Well ISU has surpassed those and won 13 games, where as Iowa has lived up to (or down to) those expectations.

And to call ISU players thugs...? C'mon, you do realize our football team's best receiver had a drug ring and 2 players are in court for rape...... You are making yourself, and us, look like idiots.

It is all about expectations. ISU and IOWA had little to none. Well ISU has surpassed those and won 13 games, where as Iowa has lived up to (or down to) those expectations.

And to call ISU players thugs...? C'mon, you do realize our football team's best receiver had a drug ring and 2 players are in court for rape...... You are making yourself, and us, look like idiots.

Boom goes the dynamite!

This is what we are tired of hearing about but I think there is a web site that loves to talk about it. If you are a tournament team next year great come over hear and bump your gums all you want if it makes you happy.

What else can it be? How are ISU players thugs? The only one you can call that is White. None of the other players he brought in have ever been in trouble. At all.

It's uninformed and covered in jealousy when Hawk fans call ISU recruits thugs

Iowa could use some "thugs" right about now imo.

I think the reference to "thugs" is on the basis of the character of a few of your transfers and the academic standing of some of them. The fact is that the Big 12 has very graceful transfer regulations regarding academics. This is why you see a lot of players transfer to the Big 12 in both football and basketball. Iowa and the Big Ten have much more strict acadmeic transfer requirements. Hence why Iowa and other Big Ten schools don't get a lot of transfers.

Cyclone fans won't like this because they want to pride themselves on being an academic institution, which in comparison to the Big 12 they are, but the Big 12 in general isn't on par with the Big Ten when it comes to academic requirements for their STUDENT-athletes. But Fred will do whatever it takes to win at all costs - an advantage Big 12 teams have over Big Ten teams.

Latest posts