Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

Well ****, Iowa might as well not show up next year.

The same could be said about football and the talent that Iowa has waiting in the wings compared to ISU and it will be many years before ISU wins again. See how stupid that sounds?

Did I say they shouldn't show up? I just commented that at this time ISU looks to have a brighter future for the next 2 to 3 years. This can't be argued logically at this point in time.

As for your 2nd paragraph, I wouldn't argue. Iowa has better players coming up and being ready to play next year than Iowa State. I can admit that because I can take off my Cyclone glasses and tell the truth. It's really not that hard

I would say that Iowa could have defeated every team that ISU did and could defeat Nebraska!

You lost to SDSU, Long Beach State, and Wake Forest. I don't think you can say that.

You could/would have lost to Creighton, Northern Arizona, and Virginia. Throw in the game to us that you lost and I think your record is the same no matter what

Talent is talent, doesn't mean a darn thing. Far as I know they still play the game on the floor and not on paper?

Can I ask who on the roster has Freddy recruited? Don't think there is a player on the roster who has seen the floor that Freddy has recruited? Other than players leaving other programs and coming to ISU he hasn't recruited has he?

Jake Anderson he recruited. Who has done well. Calvin Godfrey as well. Those two have played

Than he has recruited Royce White, Booker, Allen, and Babb.

And talent is not talent. There are teams that are more talented than others and the teams that are more talented when more games at the end of the year. Is it a coincidence that Ohio State is winning 25+ games a year after they start recruiting top 100 players? No. Paper does mean something.

A coach that we could all relate to and get excited to see would have created an environment like Hilton has. We are approaching wins first, attendance second and we are no where close to winning enough to fill Carver. We needed to fill Carver first then make winning easier to come by. Tonight's game was obvious that no team is intimated to come to Carver.

And exactly how would fans relate better to BJ than to Fran? Just because BJ played college ball at Iowa? Look, this is season No. 1 for Fran and season No. 1 for Fred. Let Cyclone fans worry about the Cyclones and how well Fred does or doesn't do.

You can't first fill the seats and then expect wins. You can only first fill seats for a few games but if you aren't winning those fans are not going to keep coming.

Fran is passionate. He has experience. This program was in sorry shape when he got here. Our roster is made up of very few Big 10-caliber players (and I mean players who can bring it night in and night out).

It is going to take time. Maybe hiring the likes of a BJ would have generated excitement for the short term but I highly doubt he would be doing more with the players than what Fran is doing.

Next season is when we hope to see a step forward. The bottomline in all of this is recruiting. Fran has to be able to recruit better players to come to the U of I. That is the name of the game. No ifs, ands or buts. And that won't be easy because Iowa basketball has not been relevant in the lifetime of many of these kids.

I really think those of you who are continuing with the "Hoiberg is just a flash in the pan" or "He has no experience" type arguments need to wake up. This is simply allowing your blind homerism to get in the way of logic and reason. ISU is 13-4 and they are a dozen or so points away from being undefeated. and this is with only one player (garrett) who can actually create for himself. and not to mention that that's something he couldnt even really do well at all until just this year. Hoiberg has taken what little he has had to work with and is putting a pretty solid product out on the court every night. He has taken the scraps left over from the McDermott train wreck and is going to end up with a better record in year one than McD was able to muster in 4. It is fairly clear that Fred's inexperience isn't hurting him any. Fred was a great hire for ISU and the future is looking very very bright.

I really think those of you who are continuing with the "Hoiberg is just a flash in the pan" or "He has no experience" type arguments need to wake up. This is simply allowing your blind homerism to get in the way of logic and reason. ISU is 13-4 and they are a dozen or so points away from being undefeated. and this is with only one player (garrett) who can actually create for himself. and not to mention that that's something he couldnt even really do well at all until just this year. Hoiberg has taken what little he has had to work with and is putting a pretty solid product out on the court every night. He has taken the scraps left over from the McDermott train wreck and is going to end up with a better record in year one than McD was able to muster in 4. It is fairly clear that Fred's inexperience isn't hurting him any. Fred was a great hire for ISU and the future is looking very very bright.

Let's not get too excited about Fred just yet. Come back at the conclusion of the Big 12 season.

And exactly how would fans relate better to BJ than to Fran? Just because BJ played college ball at Iowa? Look, this is season No. 1 for Fran and season No. 1 for Fred. Let Cyclone fans worry about the Cyclones and how well Fred does or doesn't do.

You can't first fill the seats and then expect wins. You can only first fill seats for a few games but if you aren't winning those fans are not going to keep coming.

Fran is passionate. He has experience. This program was in sorry shape when he got here. Our roster is made up of very few Big 10-caliber players (and I mean players who can bring it night in and night out).

It is going to take time. Maybe hiring the likes of a BJ would have generated excitement for the short term but I highly doubt he would be doing more with the players than what Fran is doing.

Next season is when we hope to see a step forward. The bottomline in all of this is recruiting. Fran has to be able to recruit better players to come to the U of I. That is the name of the game. No ifs, ands or buts. And that won't be easy because Iowa basketball has not been relevant in the lifetime of many of these kids.

If ever a question has been answered so quickly after asking I would like to see it.

Let's not get too excited about Fred just yet. Come back at the conclusion of the Big 12 season.

ISU could lose the rest of their games and ISU fans will still be excited for next season. I just want zero defections/attrition until next season. Winning will be gravy.

Jake Anderson he recruited. Who has done well. Calvin Godfrey as well. Those two have played

Than he has recruited Royce White, Booker, Allen, and Babb.

And talent is not talent. There are teams that are more talented than others and the teams that are more talented when more games at the end of the year. Is it a coincidence that Ohio State is winning 25+ games a year after they start recruiting top 100 players? No. Paper does mean something.
How did Fred recruit Anderson who is a SR? Godfrey has had little to no impact. The other four you mention haven't even seen the floor, right?

Talent is one thing smokey, getting that talent to play together is another. Last time I checked the game was played on hardwood not on how many starts your recruits are.

I wish nothing but the best for Fred and his players, with the exception of when you play or recruit against the Hawkeyes. I hope ISU tears up their conference and goes on and makes it to the tournament and does well there also. I will be cheering for you all the way. This state is good enough for Iowa, ISU, and UNI to all have successful basketball programs. It may take a little while for Iowa to get back on track but I have faith it will happen. As we all know recruiting will be the keystone to that success and coaching and player development will be the cornerstone.

How did Fred recruit Anderson who is a SR? Godfrey has had little to no impact. The other four you mention haven't even seen the floor, right?

Talent is one thing smokey, getting that talent to play together is another. Last time I checked the game was played on hardwood not on how many starts your recruits are.

True, there are a lot of things that can happen between now and next season when the transfers become eligible.

But, I'd rather have the problem of making talent work together than not having talent at all. One thing Freddy has done well this year is instilling the sharing of the ball...I have no doubt that he will do that again next year.

Too lazy to read through all 7 pages, but those last two "splash" hires didn't really work out so well. Alford was the hot coach of the moment and created a lot of excitement. Lick was also the hot coach of the moment when hired and had apathy not been what it was would have been a much bigger splash then it was.

Anderson is a transfer from Northern Illinois. (Similar situation to Tony Freeman) Fred recruited him this summer.

And Godfrey has definitely had an impact. He is generally the first guy off the bench. Doesn't score a lot of points, but does decent with D, boards, and blocks. More than that, he's the energy guy. Fred has said as much. He runs much better than JVB.

the point I was making is that fred CAN coach and it has clearly been illustrated thus far by what he has been able to do with the talent, or lack there of, he was left with. sorry to disappoint all of those that were hoping he would be in over his head and fall on his face.

like LeBron said... "Karma is a b****. Gets you every time. It's not good to wish bad on anybody"

ISU will finish with a winning record this year, Iowa will be lucky to reach double digit wins

the point I was making is that fred CAN coach and it has clearly been illustrated thus far by what he has been able to do with the talent, or lack there of, he was left with. sorry to disappoint all of those that were hoping he would be in over his head and fall on his face.

like LeBron said... "Karma is a b****. Gets you every time. It's not good to wish bad on anybody"

ISU will finish with a winning record this year, Iowa will be lucky to reach double digit wins

How has it been proven that Fred can coach? ISU played the worst (or close to it) non-conference schedule in the country, and his team got gassed against Nebraska. ISU may well finish above .500 overall (it seems like it would take a pretty monumental collapse to not achieve that) but just like Iowa, they're not going to sniff the top 1/2 of the league standings.

Whats impressed me the most with Fred is that he's making it work with virtually no big presence on the floor. Now that will likely change in conference play and some blowouts are coming for sure.

Overall I think hes done a great job considering they can't stop anyone's game down low, and they have to rely on perimeter shooting seemingly all game sans for Garrett taking it to the hole.

I don't watch much Iowa basketball, but I really get the sense that the team is improving from last year.

As a whole both programs are about to fizzle out for the year, but things are looking up.

I love reading Clown delusion as much as anyone. On second thought, thanks for this thread.:D Fred is smart but to say that he can coach after half a season is just stupid. He has an assistant coach that knows what he is doing and "recruited" some talent that might play next year. But, you have scoreboard on the Hawks this year so congrats. You are welcome for making Christopherson look like Mark Price, only time that has happened all season for us!!!

Latest posts