Possible Candidates

Also, if you're BF, why the hell would you stay until the bowl game? You're a cartoonish laughing stock whether it's justified or not. Why parade yourself out there in front of hundreds of thousands of TV viewers and fans just to get made fun of? He's got plenty of money for the rest of his life.

Retire from coaching and go start a sports academy for O-lineman prospects somewhere down south, turn it into a money-maker (parents are idiots and will pay thousands of dollars to turn their kid into the next Orlando Pace), and then sell the business to some suckers and charge them to license your name for 10 years.

Also, if you're BF, why the hell would you stay until the bowl game? You're a cartoonish laughing stock whether it's justified or not. Why parade yourself out there in front of hundreds of thousands of TV viewers and fans just to get made fun of? He's got plenty of money for the rest of his life.

Retire from coaching and go start a sports academy for O-lineman prospects somewhere down south, turn it into a money-maker (parents are idiots and will pay thousands of dollars to turn their kid into the next Orlando Pace), and then sell the business to some suckers and charge them to license your name for 10 years.
I suspect he might step away after Nebraska. Easy to say he is pursuing opportunities and best to step down at that point.

But if the Hawks do go on a run here, it'll just be assumed he is still coaching. Whether that means the Big Ten title game, or a good bowl, or whatever. Also, logistically, he can take at least a little of the pressure off the rest of the staff by continuing to execute his duties while they are recruiting.

Let me throw out a few names to gauge reactions:

1) Drew Tate
2) Richard Stanzi
3) Charles Long
4) Charles and/or James Hartlieb
5) Kyle McCann
6) Bradford Banks
7) Randolph Reiners

I think Long is the way to go. He has high end OC experience with Oklahoma and a head coaching stint out west.
1) Drew Tate -- yes, best choice for now
2) Richard Stanzi --no real coaching history. He was Joe Labas' "guru" so that might make some sense.
3) Charles Long -- years since he coached anywhere and does not get along with KF. See below.
4) Charles and/or James Hartlieb--Chuck would need to take a huge pay cut. No idea of James history.
5) Kyle McCann --is he a coach. Another guy that could immediately help the QBs.
6) Bradford Banks -- see below.
7) Randolph Reiners--is he in coaching either?

Chuck Long and BB probably could step in at QB coach this week. I would be enthused to see either hired to coach the QBs. Both would immediately improve the QBs. Brad would work well with the mobile QBs, teach them how to look for lanes and the best times to bolt through a hole. He couldn't teach the magic by just introducing that skill would again, immediately improve QB play.

Chuck seems too old; had his chances and they didn't work out as HC and OC.

Want to improve the O? Go to the NFL and get an OC with the responsibility to hire an O line coach. Demand he keeps L. Betts. Best case? Get a guy KF knows and trusts. I would bet KF has plenty of connections. Pay the new OC at the same level as our DC.

He can still do all that AFTER he gets a Gatorade bath if Iowa wins their bowl game.

1) Drew Tate -- yes, best choice for now
2) Richard Stanzi --no real coaching history. He was Joe Labas' "guru" so that might make some sense.
3) Charles Long -- years since he coached anywhere and does not get along with KF. See below.
4) Charles and/or James Hartlieb--Chuck would need to take a huge pay cut. No idea of James history.
5) Kyle McCann --is he a coach. Another guy that could immediately help the QBs.
6) Bradford Banks -- see below.
7) Randolph Reiners--is he in coaching either?

Chuck Long and BB probably could step in at QB coach this week. I would be enthused to see either hired to coach the QBs. Both would immediately improve the QBs. Brad would work well with the mobile QBs, teach them how to look for lanes and the best times to bolt through a hole. He couldn't teach the magic by just introducing that skill would again, immediately improve QB play.

Chuck seems too old; had his chances and they didn't work out as HC and OC.
Tate shoulda been brought in to be QB coach instead of giving BF that hat a yr ago.... I don't think he's called plays before so he's pretty green yet. But I do wish he was on the staff just not as OC yet

Long won a Natty with Stoops at Oklahoma as OC. Yes he's been out of the game awhile but as an interim if say to finish out this season in an emergency I'd take him in a heartbeat. For those jumping up and down wanting Stoops all the time remember who was calling the plays for him that yr..

If he is cleared of the Northwestern situation and can prove he did not know.... Pat Fitzgerald might be an option for OC...... another name to watch Paul Chryst
Pat F is a defensive guy... I can't see that happening at all. (For what it's worth he had to have known of some of that crap that went on)

Chryst is an interesting name. Not sure about how he and KF get along but he's at least of similar mindset about run first O. Has he been just taking the yr off? I haven't heard what he's even been doing.

Assuming Kirk is accepting of all this and stays on, his history would suggest that he will promote from within. I personally don't see him as a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Budmayr promoted to the role. Hopefully, the powers that be will factor in that he has had at least a limited role in this offensive mess. Obviously, Woods is a favorite for many of us but does his resume warrant it at this point? A better role may be ST coach/Co-HC.

If Kirk stays and looks outside the program, I'd keep an eye on Chryst as mentioned above. Another would be Akron coach Joe Moorhead, the former PSU OC. Kirk could bring in a young up-and-comer but his comfort zone seems to be more geared towards guys that he knows that have been around awhile.

My personal choice would be Geno Guidugle, the QB coach at Notre Dame. He'll end up as a very successful OC somewhere. There's also a lot of buzz around Kansas QB coach Jim Zebrowski.

If Kirk is bitter about any of this and hangs it up at the end of the season, then obviously all bets are off. In that scenario we should be calling Ryan Grubb the next day.

What if KF decided to hire Steve Ferentz, just to stick everyone's nose in it?
All contracts have to be approved. That one would not be.

KF may not be thrilled by all this, but he also wants to win. He just had a blind spot here. Hopefully that becomes more obvious to him over time.

Assuming Kirk is accepting of all this and stays on, his history would suggest that he will promote from within. I personally don't see him as a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Budmayr promoted to the role. Hopefully, the powers that be will factor in that he has had at least a limited role in this offensive mess. Obviously, Woods is a favorite for many of us but does his resume warrant it at this point? A better role may be ST coach/Co-HC.

If Kirk stays and looks outside the program, I'd keep an eye on Chryst as mentioned above. Another would be Akron coach Joe Moorhead, the former PSU OC. Kirk could bring in a young up-and-comer but his comfort zone seems to be more geared towards guys that he knows that have been around awhile.

My personal choice would be Geno Guidugle, the QB coach at Notre Dame. He'll end up as a very successful OC somewhere. There's also a lot of buzz around Kansas QB coach Jim Zebrowski.

If Kirk is bitter about any of this and hangs it up at the end of the season, then obviously all bets are off. In that scenario we should be calling Ryan Grubb the next day.
Unfortunately I think you're right on with a Budmayr or Chryst. Wisc realized they needed a modern offense and moved away from them. Joe Philbin wouldn't be the worst but who knows if he wants to come back to the college ranks.

All contracts have to be approved. That one would not be.

KF may not be thrilled by all this, but he also wants to win. He just had a blind spot here. Hopefully that becomes more obvious to him over time.
Fortunately I think the new AD put her foot down on future nepotism.
Funnily enough I've heard from multiple people that James was the Ferentz who would've actually done a successful job at it.

By all accounts he's much smarter and well-spoken, more even tempered, and relates to players better.

Latest posts