Possible Candidates

Brian, like me, is of the Nintendo generation. Tecmo Super Bowl is a far superior game to Madden and its 8 play playbook (there were only 4 in the original Tecmo Bowl) offers plenty of creativity for anyone aspiring to coach offense at Iowa.

My love for Tecmo Super Bowl was bordering on creepiness. Okay, probably not even bordering. I used to copy down my stats from each complete season, and then store them in a binder (probably still in my parents' attic).

I believe I exceeded 8,000 yards passing once with Bernie Kosar. I also had 5 different Houston Oiler WRs exceed 1,000 yards in a season (Curtis Duncan was over 2,000).

I am such a nerd.

My love for Tecmo Super Bowl was bordering on creepiness. Okay, probably not even bordering. I used to copy down my stats from each complete season, and then store them in a binder (probably still in my parents' attic).

I believe I exceeded 8,000 yards passing once with Bernie Kosar. I also had 5 different Houston Oiler WRs exceed 1,000 yards in a season (Curtis Duncan was over 2,000).

I am such a nerd.

No, friend, you are normal. We are a product of our times. Boomers used to put Mickey Mantle rookie cards in their bicycle spokes so they could pretend they were riding a motorcycle. Only a man like me can truly understand you. No Boomer can, no Millennial can.

Reactions: trj
No, friend, you are normal. We are a product of our times. Boomers used to put Mickey Mantle rookie cards in their bicycle spokes so they could pretend they were riding a motorcycle. Only a man like me can truly understand you. No Boomer can, no Millennial can.

Naah, dawg. GenXers on the older side like myself definitely get it.

Yes, that is my point, only a Gen Xer can understand this story. We're a small generation, ridiculed, called slackers, left for dead sandwiched between worthless hippie Boomers turned yuppies and their satanic spawn Millennials who grew up sipping on juice boxes while wearing bike helmets and sharing orange slices during soccer games. We are God's chosen people.

Or perhaps you meant Millennials. There is some basis for the creation of a microgeneration called the Xennials, basically a posse of people who were born into the throes of the economic woes of the late '70's and early '80's, the kids who didn't see internet until college. I could see a kid born in '81 or '82 possibly understanding this man, but I draw a hard line there.

Yes, that is my point, only a Gen Xer can understand this story. We're a small generation, ridiculed, called slackers, left for dead sandwiched between worthless hippie Boomers turned yuppies and their satanic spawn Millennials who grew up sipping on juice boxes while wearing bike helmets and sharing orange slices during soccer games. We are God's chosen people.
Like Moses coming down from Mount Sinai, our people have witnessed a Deion Sanders/Bo Jackson tussle in TSB.

Tate shoulda been brought in to be QB coach instead of giving BF that hat a yr ago.... I don't think he's called plays before so he's pretty green yet. But I do wish he was on the staff just not as OC yet

Long won a Natty with Stoops at Oklahoma as OC. Yes he's been out of the game awhile but as an interim if say to finish out this season in an emergency I'd take him in a heartbeat. For those jumping up and down wanting Stoops all the time remember who was calling the plays for him that yr..
That’s not happening unless Kirk leaves. Chuck was very vocal and very liberal with throwing the nepotism accusations around when talking about Brian.

There's something amiss with KF and Longs relationship I think. I can't point to anything specific but I've wondered for yrs now that Chuck has been out of college football why wouldn't KF want him to be a part of it. Even as just a QB coach or passing game coordinator/hold BFs hand guy he'd be a huge addition to the program. But all these yrs he's never been brought in and for whatever reasons I've never heard anyone in the media even ask why. The fan base woulda done back flips to have Chuck replace BF at any point the last 3 yrs. Too bad we'll never see it.
Kirk has anxiety issues with QB’s who throw over more than ten yards. Preferably five yards.

Kirk's singular and only vision has always been for Brain to take over as CEO. Anyone else brought in that would have an effect on that role is a threat.

There's a reason LeVar Woods hasn't been promoted past OC at Iowa.

When that guy is a head coach somewhere I will root for that team equal to Iowa. LW is a Hayden Fry way coach through and through, and he's the only remaining embodiment of Hayden's legacy. I don't care what team's colors he wears eventually
I agree with your comments here. Levar is the type that demands excellence at what he does. Someone like him would be excellent.

Nope. The statement from Goetz says he's gonzo...

Anyone who loves Iowa football recognizes both the success and challenges that have brought attention to our program this season. Our struggles on offense coupled with the offensive coordinator’s contract make this a unique situation.

"After conversations with head coach Kirk Ferentz, coach Brian Ferentz, and President Wilson, I informed Brian that our intention is for him to be with us through the bowl game, but this is his last season with the program. Making this known today is in the best interest of the program and its loyal fans; it provides clarity during this pivotal time in the schedule.

It is not my practice to be involved in assistant coaching decisions and certainly not to make public such a change during a season. Our priority is to put all our student-athletes in the best position to have both short-term and long-term success, on and off the field. Our football team has a group of outstanding young men and talented athletes, who at 6-2, have a lot to play for. As a former athlete, I know every opportunity to put on the jersey is a cherished one.

As Hawkeyes, let’s continue to support all our coaches, staff and student-athletes in their pursuit of a Big Ten Championship and bowl game victory."
That has to rub Kirk the wrong way. He still the head coach and in most circumstances the head honcho gets to choose his coaches….. ….. nepotism be damned!

I am such a nerd.
I did the same shit! Strat-O-Matic baseball was another one that I kept stats on.

Pat F is a defensive guy... I can't see that happening at all. (For what it's worth he had to have known of some of that crap that went on)

Chryst is an interesting name. Not sure about how he and KF get along but he's at least of similar mindset about run first O. Has he been just taking the yr off? I haven't heard what he's even been doing.
I am not supporting the idea of Pat F but correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t the current Georgia coach a defensive coordinator for Alabama? That guy is kicking ass right now. What interesting is how much the Iowa/Georgia program mirrored each other before Georgia made the change. Very similar. 8, 9, 10 win seasons year in year out. There were many Geogia fans that seemed satisfied with that before their current coach was hired. I live there in Georgia for twenty years and heard all about the different opinions among the fans there. Good thing some of those fans were ignored or else Georgia wouldn’t be where they are today.

Corey Brada? Are you serious?
Well I am having second thoughts about Corey. Seems like he never has any inside info and he talks in generalities and doesn’t apply any names to his sources. The last few times I have listened to him I came away knowing no more than before listening to his podcast. Don P is probably the star of the show even though Don is getting pretty old. Don says he talks with the Iowa coaches but I can’t help wonder if that is out of curtesy and kindness.

Happy to hear...and be wrong after listening to Kirk yesterday...I'm very happy Kirk is coming back next year. He is a good guy and his response on Hawk Talk tonight with Gary Dolphin was awesome to hear. His son did not work out...but that does not mean throw away Kirk. Go get them coach!

Latest posts