Possible Candidates

I was hoping BF would step down. If his Dad would have pushed him to do so, this would have been a no drama move. I just do not understand why Kirk did not pursue that solution.
If we can take KF’s statement that he wants to continue to coach at Iowa at face value, I see that decision as the best option to maintain program stability. More importantly, if KF walks away, the negative impact on Iowa football will be staggering. Recruiting will result in numerous attacks on a program in turmoil. The transfer portal will be flooded. An outstanding group of young coaches of color and some tried and true veterans will be in the wind. The Idiot Brigade of podcasters, journalists, and social media freaks, will reach new heights of stupidity.
Good grief. Assistant coaches get fired all the time. If extension of this current mess results in the loss of a hall of fame coach, this would likely become a story for the ages. And it would be a very sad story, for certain.
Those who want KF gone are fools.
Kirk will come back, do his best to hire a new OC who will breath some new life into the program, continue his 100% commitment to Iowa football, work hard to keep doing what is best for the players, just as he has done for over two decades. He can then retire with all of the pomp and circumstance he richly deserves. And, the drama will die a quiet death, not with a bang, but a whimper.

Happy to hear...and be wrong after listening to Kirk yesterday...I'm very happy Kirk is coming back next year. He is a good guy and his response on Hawk Talk tonight with Gary Dolphin was awesome to hear. His son did not work out...but that does not mean throw away Kirk. Go get them coach!
Thanks for sharing that info.

My love for Tecmo Super Bowl was bordering on creepiness. Okay, probably not even bordering. I used to copy down my stats from each complete season, and then store them in a binder (probably still in my parents' attic).

I believe I exceeded 8,000 yards passing once with Bernie Kosar. I also had 5 different Houston Oiler WRs exceed 1,000 yards in a season (Curtis Duncan was over 2,000).

I am such a nerd.

I played electric football.

Never realized it until now...
That looks like the Iowa offense!

Last edited:
Well I am having second thoughts about Corey. Seems like he never has any inside info and he talks in generalities and doesn’t apply any names to his sources. The last few times I have listened to him I came away knowing no more than before listening to his podcast. Don P is probably the star of the show even though Don is getting pretty old. Don says he talks with the Iowa coaches but I can’t help wonder if that is out of curtesy and kindness.
Exactly... He's a younger guy too. He hardly goes back to the beginning of KFs tenure. All he's doing is trying to peddle product for advertisers. How he's gotten chummy with Patterson is beyond me but that's his schtick. All I know is he's been anti BF for quite awhile so he's not all bad. I just have a tough time listening to him.

That’s not happening unless Kirk leaves. Chuck was very vocal and very liberal with throwing the nepotism accusations around when talking about Brian.
Ah I wasn't aware of that.... So yeah that makes total sense for Chuck to be on the wrong side of Kirks ire. Good for Chuck for having such a public take.

Well I am having second thoughts about Corey. Seems like he never has any inside info and he talks in generalities and doesn’t apply any names to his sources. The last few times I have listened to him I came away knowing no more than before listening to his podcast. Don P is probably the star of the show even though Don is getting pretty old. Don says he talks with the Iowa coaches but I can’t help wonder if that is out of curtesy and kindness.

Right about Don. I thought same thing.

I played electric football.

Never realized it until now...
That looks like the Iowa offense!
When I was 11 I got the 1969 Tudor Super Bowl Colts v Jets version. Designed plays and played with that thing for hours by myself! It may still be at my parents' home, for all I know. I bought an electric game for my boys in the '90s but they never took to it much.
They preferred the 1991 Techmo Super Bowl video version and got hooked on that. They bought the reissue of that a couple years ago and now whenever they see each other on holidays or get together from living thousands of miles away, they can be found playing that 1991 Techmo game until 2-3 a.m. every night. Crazy.

Would Mark leave to take a package deal of leaving a current head coaching position for a temporarily OC position until Kirk retires then step into the Head coaching Job at Iowa?

What if he doesn’t have to wait and Kirk retires at the end of this season? Just because someone says they are staying doesn’t always end up being true.

Rumors with its thousand tongues. I just heard this crazy possibility on you tube by a pretty popular you tuber and two other people on You Tube podcast. Seems pretty crazy to me.

Last edited:
Unreal, 600 yards, 9 TDs combined.and that’s in one half???? Washington vrs USC. 35-28 at the half.

Hawks not doing due diligence if not looking at Washington and Kansas QB coaches. And big win today!
Kansas QB coach Jim Zebrowski is a hot candidate right now for an OC position. Has been for awhile.

Still hard for me to see Kirk going with a young up-and-comer if he goes outside the program. In that scenario, my guess would still be Chryst or Joe Moorhead. That's just his style.