Possible Candidates

I watched the debacle on national television. The West isn’t on the same level as The East. Penn State was just on another level that Iowa can only dream of unless changes are made either during the season or after the season.

I propose Iowa getting Jonathan Smith from Oregon State as Head Coach, Warren Ruggiero from Wake Forest as Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach & AJ Blazek (former Hawkeye) from Vanderbilt as Offensive Line Coach.

Any thoughts fellow Hawk fans?

Half measures will avail us nothing. Kirk isn't going to bring in an outsider offensive coordinator. To do that would mean an entire new offensive staff. That's a lot of IOWA DNA that goes away and we just can't have that can we.

I can't imagine an OC that would be willing to join a team without latitude to name his own staff. So that won't happen

Kirk has to decide he's had enough on his own. We're stuck with Kirk and his offense for the foreseeable future.

Good stuff. You know, I had this funny thought. What if Brian quit tomorrow, said he didn't want to be a distraction anymore. Or Goetz fired him immediately.

What if Kirk turned around and called up O'Keefe, Chuck Long and Glen Mason. Three guys that are sitting around but seem to still follow football (I still listen to a Minneapolis sports radio show after living there for a number of years and Mason is a great guest during football season).

Anyway, Kirk tells them he raised $300k overnight, they each get a $100k to grind from now through November. Nothing but eat, live and sleep offensive football for 60 days. No recruiting or media, just work together to put together an offense and game plan with what they have. Autonomy to run anything they want.

I think they'd probably do it. And almost without a doubt, I bet they'd come up with something more functional that we're seeing now, even when making huge changes on the fly.

What should I do if I have an erection that has lasted since an hour after this was posted?

Woods is by far the best recruiter and second-best coach on this mostly now rag tag squad, behind Phil. He is going to get poached by a team that wants to win, and he will win multiple playoff games as a HC.

And it's Kurt's fault. He knows he's burning the program down eventually as he leaves.

If sonny boy can't be a successful king of Iowa football, no one is going to be.

Kirk Farence's legacy to me will be letting a program tank that had an opportunity to bring Hayden Fry's legacy forward for another 25 years and throwing it in the toilet. I don't care how many years he coached or wins he had.
On one hand you say that it would be absolute lunacy to fire Kirk and on another you state that he’s burning the program to the ground. You also say that Woods will end up winning multiple playoff games as a head coach. If Woods is destined for greatness and Kirk is destroying the program then we should fire Brian today and force Kirks hand. Hopefully he quits negating his contract and then we hire Woods and win a national championship. Am I right?

Let me throw out a few names to gauge reactions:

1) Drew Tate
2) Richard Stanzi
3) Charles Long
4) Charles and/or James Hartlieb
5) Kyle McCann
6) Bradford Banks
7) Randolph Reiners

I think Long is the way to go. He has high end OC experience with Oklahoma and a head coaching stint out west.
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No

Are you the one that recommended bj Armstrong as the basketball coach each time?

There's a lot of logic to what you say. I just hope he doesn't cause thinking BF should be handed the keys to the castle is pure lunacy. It was borderline lunacy before his kid had been OC for 1 day. Now that he has this long it's just a total non starter. If he were to suggest that to Goetz I'd hope she'd laugh him out of the room.
It was the absolute plan under barta. Take that to the grave

It was the absolute plan under barta. Take that to the grave
Wouldn't surprise me if it was their master plan till Barta got himself pushed out. Then again him doing this contract thing for BF was all Barta. I can't see anybody else being for it. Maybe since 6-7 yrs ago things have changed and even Barta changed his mind on having BF in line. Heck if I know. What I do know is that BF isn't going to be a D1 HC for anyone anytime soon

When KF retires, we will hire a heavy NFL based coaching staff, including the head honcho. Book it.

Good stuff. You know, I had this funny thought. What if Brian quit tomorrow, said he didn't want to be a distraction anymore. Or Goetz fired him immediately.

What if Kirk turned around and called up O'Keefe, Chuck Long and Glen Mason. Three guys that are sitting around but seem to still follow football (I still listen to a Minneapolis sports radio show after living there for a number of years and Mason is a great guest during football season).

Anyway, Kirk tells them he raised $300k overnight, they each get a $100k to grind from now through November. Nothing but eat, live and sleep offensive football for 60 days. No recruiting or media, just work together to put together an offense and game plan with what they have. Autonomy to run anything they want.

I think they'd probably do it. And almost without a doubt, I bet they'd come up with something more functional that we're seeing now, even when making huge changes on the fly.
Bump. Do we have any plane tracker data for Ken, Glen and Chuck?

If Brian steps down, Kirk will restich together the existing staff. And I'm not sure Kirk goes outside for a new OC next year either. That would mean all new Offensive staff.

What OC worth his stuff would join up knowing that he can't name his own staff. ?

What OC would join a program where the HC is likely gone in a few years.

I don't think KF goes anywhere. This is to save face on his legacy. The elephant in the room was Brian. Something had to give and I think this allows Brian to go out on his own terms, and does not force Kirk's hand.

Curiosity will be does Brian take Barnett's spot? I cannot see Barnett having a job after the season. I definitely could see Woods taking over the OC spot. I don't see KF stick around forever. Not sure O'Keefe has the desire to come back in this role, but at minimum, he would be well aware of the work that needs to be done and what he is getting into.

Chuck Long intrigues me. But didn't he leave on some bad terms? I can't recall.

I don't think KF goes anywhere. This is to save face on his legacy. The elephant in the room was Brian. Something had to give and I think this allows Brian to go out on his own terms, and does not force Kirk's hand.

Curiosity will be does Brian take Barnett's spot? I cannot see Barnett having a job after the season. I definitely could see Woods taking over the OC spot. I don't see KF stick around forever. Not sure O'Keefe has the desire to come back in this role, but at minimum, he would be well aware of the work that needs to be done and what he is getting into.

Chuck Long intrigues me. But didn't he leave on some bad terms? I can't recall.
Chuck long intrigues you? In what respect? And coaching isn’t an option because that’s laughable

Curiosity will be does Brian take Barnett's spot?
Nope. The statement from Goetz says he's gonzo...

Anyone who loves Iowa football recognizes both the success and challenges that have brought attention to our program this season. Our struggles on offense coupled with the offensive coordinator’s contract make this a unique situation.

"After conversations with head coach Kirk Ferentz, coach Brian Ferentz, and President Wilson, I informed Brian that our intention is for him to be with us through the bowl game, but this is his last season with the program. Making this known today is in the best interest of the program and its loyal fans; it provides clarity during this pivotal time in the schedule.

It is not my practice to be involved in assistant coaching decisions and certainly not to make public such a change during a season. Our priority is to put all our student-athletes in the best position to have both short-term and long-term success, on and off the field. Our football team has a group of outstanding young men and talented athletes, who at 6-2, have a lot to play for. As a former athlete, I know every opportunity to put on the jersey is a cherished one.

As Hawkeyes, let’s continue to support all our coaches, staff and student-athletes in their pursuit of a Big Ten Championship and bowl game victory."

The transparency and honesty of the release is refreshing and healthy. And a sign of solid leadership. Iowa would have been better served with that kind of transparency and honesty with Barta and KOK's departures, too.

Latest posts