McDermott to Creighton

And the Iowa job was so much better? Just like Iowa, ISU won't need to offer a huge contract for someone to take it.
I think the Iowa job is leaps and bounds more attractive with rampant rumors of conference expansion and the uncertainty of what impact that will have on some of the "lesser" schools of the Big 12.

Nurse may follow Mac. They are friends.

That was my first thought as well. It would make sense.

Not sure who ISU would go after. Could they afford a run at Gregory? It seems like a lot of them are hoping for Gillespie. Again, I don't know what they can afford. But not having to pay a buyout(and apparently getting money from Creighton) has to help their situation.

Doubt it. I mean Mac hired Nurse to be an assistant. That is a far cry from Pollard making the hire for a head coach.

Pollard was a part of that also. Those guys(Grayer) were brought in for a 2 year deal. Retaining TJ on ISU staff will also be critical for them, he's the main recruiter with all the AAU ties.

Pollard was a part of that also. Those guys(Grayer) were brought in for a 2 year deal. Retaining TJ on ISU staff will also be critical for them, he's the main recruiter with all the AAU ties.

Fair enough, but you have to also admit they were hiring them to be ASSISTANTS. Neither one has any Div I coaching experience.

Talk about a bailout. Has Pollard had to fire anyone yet? or do other teams just magically take his mistakes off of his hands and let him start over?

and that is a bad thing? pay someones buyout so you can fire them, or have someone else pay you to take him off your hands? anyone with a brain would take the latter.

Who in their right mind would take the ISU job? Talk about rebuilding! Holy crap, that's a terrible job right now.

Wondering how many years it will be before ISU has a winning season.

At least Fran has something to work with.

In bold are the same words that were said repeatedly about the Iowa coaching vacancy a month or so ago.

you must have some kind of mental deficiency? what about ISU is any worse than what's currently in Iowa City? at this point, both programs are in pretty bad shape. how you can say that ISU is that much worse off is beyond me.

arguably the ISU job is more appealing than the Iowa job was for two reasons; 1) better facilities 2) a fanbase that isn't completely apathetic

McDermott might be the luckiest man alive today. Gets to hightail out of Lames and a futureless program to take over a program built to win and that plays in a freaking NBA caliber arena that routinely sells out.

McDermott is gone from ISU faster than a fly stuck in a spider web bolting after a strong wind blew it loose.

Good luck, Mac. And suck it, Pollard. Hope the Nick Nurse era goes well for you (which it actually might...you're lucky he's there.)

McDermott might be the luckiest man alive today. Gets to hightail out of Lames and a futureless program to take over a program built to win and that plays in a freaking NBA caliber arena that routinely sells out.

McDermott is gone from ISU faster than a fly stuck in a spider web bolting after a strong wind blew it loose.

Good luck, Mac. And suck it, Pollard. Hope the Nick Nurse era goes well for you (which it actually might...you're lucky he's there.)

you do know that everyone in Ames wanted him gone right? it isn't like he stuck it to the program. this is a win-win situation for ISU and McD

Personally, I feel this is a great hire for Creighton and for McD. Greg is a good coach and has proved his ability at the D1 level. Yes, he had his share of problems at ISU, but many were not his fault.

Creighton is a very good private college with a great venue to play ball in. He managed to slide out of Ames with skin still left on his back and only has to go a few hours down the road. Creighton gets a good coach with a great personality, not to mention someone familiar with the league he will be playing in...

I wish him the best!

Now as to who ISU will hire...that is going to be the interesting question. Can you imagine what his new assistants must feel like...I wonder if they will go with him or try to stick around.

Going to have to give my brother a call to see if he is hearing anything from the alumni side of the picture...

you do know that everyone in Ames wanted him gone right? it isn't like he stuck it to the program. this is a win-win situation for ISU and McD

Yeah. McDermott was staring down the barrel of getting fired after next season. Still, I don't think McDermott was the biggest problem ISU basketball has had. There's been a pretty crappy culture up there ever since Eustachy took Natty Light to epic levels.

Ya, like three weeks ago. Its gonna be hard to find a coach now.

not when the caliber of coach you're looking for is mid major or top assistant. also, I wouldn't rule out nick nurse being named interim head coach, and possibly the new head coach. which, in all reality, wouldn't be that bad of a move

In bold are the same words that were said repeatedly about the Iowa coaching vacancy a month or so ago.

you must have some kind of mental deficiency? what about ISU is any worse than what's currently in Iowa City? at this point, both programs are in pretty bad shape. how you can say that ISU is that much worse off is beyond me.

arguably the ISU job is more appealing than the Iowa job was for two reasons; 1) better facilities 2) a fanbase that isn't completely apathetic

Better facilities: okay, so they have a practice gym.

Fanbase not completely apathetic: okay, just partially apathetic. They would have been completely apathetic if McD stayed.

And how many scholarship players are returning next year? ISU is either going to have to hold open tryouts for walk-ons or get a slew of European guys next year.

Yeah. McDermott was staring down the barrel of getting fired after next season. Still, I don't think McDermott was the biggest problem ISU basketball has had. There's been a pretty crappy culture up there ever since Eustachy took Natty Light to epic levels.

please define "culture"? If by culture you mean still a ton of support for the program even though a bad hire (and contract extension) left the program looking stagnant, then I can agree with you. the fans disagreed with McD and many wanted him gone a while back. but they have still supported the program and shown up, which is less than can be said about those in Iowa City.

Latest posts