McDermott to Creighton

That's the key. When McDermott left UNI, he told the players to stick with their commitments and UNI had success because of it. Hopefully he does the same here and we can get a coach in soon that will inspire them to stay.

That's because one of his best friends was going to be the coach at UNI. He'll have no such incentive in this instance.

That's because one of his best friends was going to be the coach at UNI. He'll have no such incentive in this instance.

but McD is a pretty stand up guy, and it isn't like he's being fired. I think he gives the same speech to the players about honoring commitments like he did when he departed UNI.

the word "rah-tard" comes to mind. of potential candidates for this job (top assistants or mid major coaches) the possibilities remain unchanged from a few weeks ago. if given the opportunity to go from 300k-ish to upwards of a million annually most will jump at it, regardless of timing. remember, coaching is a job, it is someone's profession. When the opportunity to advance your career presents itself, you go. This job will not be vacant for much more than a week, if that.

Really? Several potential candidates from the mid major pool have taken jobs elsewhere. If you think the pool of candidates is the same you are delusional

Last edited:
Really? Seeral potential candidates from the mid major pool have taken jobs elsewhere. If you think the pool of candidates is the same you are delusional

like "I think bruce pearl is coming" type of delusional or "we're gonna win the national championship this year" delusional?

like "I think bruce pearl is coming" type of delusional or "we're gonna win the national championship this year" delusional?

I think you are in the realm of "bruce pearl is coming" delusional right now. There was a 0% chance Pearl was coming and there is a 0% chance that the pool of coaching candidates is the same as it was a month ago so i think thats a fair comparison.

I think you are in the realm of "bruce pearl is coming" delusional right now. There was a 0% chance Pearl was coming and there is a 0% chance that the pool of coaching candidates is the same as it was a month ago so i think thats a fair comparison.

there are plenty of coaching candidates out there. have some that were available a couple weeks taken jobs? yes. but it isn't like ISU is going to struggle to find a suitable replacement like you originally implied. I'll stand by my previous statement of they'll have a new coach announced in about a week or so.

isthis for sure yet? I think nick nurse should be hired as head coach. That will give the program some stability. I think he was brought in , so he could take over the following year anyway. Now that time is here.

there are plenty of coaching candidates out there. have some that were available a couple weeks taken jobs? yes. but it isn't like ISU is going to struggle to find a suitable replacement like you originally implied. I'll stand by my previous statement of they'll have a new coach announced in about a week or so.

When did i ever say there wasnt a suitable replacement? All i said was there were fewer possibilites....which is a fact

I love when people put words in my mouth and pick a fight that doesnt exist

I am quite sure that ISU will take a run at Jacobsen. I doubt they will get him however, although I think he might listen.

It just shows you that there arent many coaches available right now. Trying to hire a head basketball coach on April 26th is not a good position to be in

More money and fewer possibilities

When did i ever say there wasnt a suitable replacement? All i said was there were fewer possibilites....which is a fact

you've IMPLIED isu will stuggle to find a good coach, because of the alleged lack of candidates. I disagree

you've IMPLIED isu will stuggle to find a good coach, because of the alleged lack of candidates. I disagree

List me the good candidates that are available right now?

I think everything I said is true....no one wants to be searching for a coach on April 26th with signing day quickly approaching

Last edited:
List me the good candidates that are available right now?

There are not any really, but not much has changed since Iowa got their coach. Realistically, you need to make a reach and hope it sticks. Oregon with a gazillion dollar budget and brand new facility just hired Dana Altman from Creighton. Seriously? Guess I'm hoping for a high major assistant such as Montgomery from MSU or a mid-major coach such as Sutton, Marshall, or Eustachy.

I am quite sure that ISU will take a run at Jacobsen. I doubt they will get him however, although I think he might listen.

Good thought, Hoop. You have to wonder if he'd listen given that he's an Iowan and in relative terms, the disruption of that move would be less than most. If he can continue to win as he has been in that conference he will certainly not end his career at UNI.

To the posters who are debating the kind of candidates ISU might attract, I would simply say that this is a tough time to be out looking for a coach. Most of the high quality candidates who were looking to move have moved, and many others have decided to stay put in the face of offers that would have been more appealing than ISU. That doesn't mean ISU can't come up with someone solid--Jacobsen would be a very solid hire for them, for example--but it won't be easy, both because of the limited availability of candidates most of us would be impressed with, and because of what ISU has to offer right now.

If I had to bet on it I'd say the odds of ISU hiring an assistant rather than a current head coach are higher than they were for Iowa, and if they do hire a current HC other than Jacobsen, it won't be a name that means much to any of us right now. Maybe the guy at Illinois State would be a candidate there?

There are not any really, but not much has changed since Iowa got their coach. Realistically, you need to make a reach and hope it sticks. Oregon with a gazillion dollar budget and brand new facility just hired Dana Altman from Creighton. Seriously? Guess I'm hoping for a high major assistant such as Montgomery from MSU or a mid-major coach such as Sutton, Marshall, or Eustachy.

My point is not only the coach but also the timing. The list of candidates hasnt changed much since Iowa hired McCaffrey but the recruiting window keeps getting smaller and smaller. It will be a moot point if ISU doesnt lose any commits but that is unlikely

Good thought, Hoop. You have to wonder if he'd listen given that he's an Iowan and in relative terms, the disruption of that move would be less than most. If he can continue to win as he has been in that conference he will certainly not end his career at UNI.

To the posters who are debating the kind of candidates ISU might have, I would simply say that this is a tough time to be out looking for a coach. Most of the high quality candidates who were looking to move have moved, and many others have decided to stay put in the face of offers that would have been more appealing than ISU. That doesn't mean ISU can't come up with someone solid--Jacobsen would be a very solid hire for them, for example--but it won't be easy, both because of the limited availability of candidates most of us would be impressed with, and because of what ISU has to offer right now.

JP will NOT hire Jacobsen, I can almost guarantee it. Nothing against the guy, just will be put into a terrible situation based on how McD turned out. Fanbase would crucify him.

That was my first thought as well. It would make sense.

Not sure who ISU would go after. Could they afford a run at Gregory? It seems like a lot of them are hoping for Gillespie. Again, I don't know what they can afford. But not having to pay a buyout(and apparently getting money from Creighton) has to help their situation.

I doubt they can afford Gregory or that Gregory would be interested. He can do better.

Latest posts