McDermott to Creighton

Better facilities: okay, so they have a practice gym.

Fanbase not completely apathetic: okay, just partially apathetic. They would have been completely apathetic if McD stayed.

And how many scholarship players are returning next year? ISU is either going to have to hold open tryouts for walk-ons or get a slew of European guys next year.

yea, things would have gotten worse if McD stayed, which is why this is a win-win situation. Hilton doesn't have to look like carver did all last year, and a new coach will create some buzz about the program. ISU isn't really any worse off than Iowa going into next year, by any meaningful measure anyway. both teams will compete for the bottom spot in their conference and we'll all get to have a slap fight over who sucks more. both schools are a few years out from being competetive. I guess you're right though, Iowa is a little better off. the worst they can do is 11th in conference, ISU could be 12th.

Better facilities: okay, so they have a practice gym.

Fanbase not completely apathetic: okay, just partially apathetic. They would have been completely apathetic if McD stayed.

And how many scholarship players are returning next year? ISU is either going to have to hold open tryouts for walk-ons or get a slew of European guys next year.

Currently, we have 10 scholarship players, of which, 5 are incoming recruits. This team next year will depend a lot on whether we can keep these recruits.

Currently, we have 10 scholarship players, of which, 5 are incoming recruits. This team next year will depend a lot on whether we can keep these recruits.

5 returning scholarship players. I'd say that's worse than Iowa. Sucks to be a Clonehomer right now. But at least it doesn't suck as much as if McD stayed.

Assuming all 5 of those incoming recruits do not ask out of their LOI.

That's the key. When McDermott left UNI, he told the players to stick with their commitments and UNI had success because of it. Hopefully he does the same here and we can get a coach in soon that will inspire them to stay.

You would think with the issues surrounding receiving state funds for athletics that, as much as they would like to, they wont be able to throw bags of money at the next guy.

Classic...but really?

nurse could get promoted, then there is a lot of the same names that were talked about on here for the iowa job being tossed out; gregory, forbes, mike davis, and a few "bring bag eustachy or floyds". pretty much all the same speculatory message board BS. nothing solid to this point. official word has not even came from the University yet about McD's leaving.

You would think with the issues surrounding receiving state funds for athletics that, as much as they would like to, they wont be able to throw bags of money at the next guy.

that has no bearing on this whatsoever. state funding accounted for around 3% of ISU's athletic budget last year and that void has since been replaced by donor dollars. there is no blank check here, but they certainly will be able to offer upwards of a million annually for the right guy. also, there will be a ton of performance based incentives in the contract like there was with McDermott's.

that has no bearing on this whatsoever. state funding accounted for around 3% of ISU's athletic budget last year and that void has since been replaced by donor dollars. there is no blank check here, but they certainly will be able to offer upwards of a million annually for the right guy. also, there will be a ton of performance based incentives in the contract like there was with McDermott's.

I wonder what those were, they never had to be exercised

More money and fewer possibilities

the word "rah-tard" comes to mind. of potential candidates for this job (top assistants or mid major coaches) the possibilities remain unchanged from a few weeks ago. if given the opportunity to go from 300k-ish to upwards of a million annually most will jump at it, regardless of timing. remember, coaching is a job, it is someone's profession. When the opportunity to advance your career presents itself, you go. This job will not be vacant for much more than a week, if that.

That's the key. When McDermott left UNI, he told the players to stick with their commitments and UNI had success because of it. Hopefully he does the same here and we can get a coach in soon that will inspire them to stay.

The big difference between McDermott leaving ISU as compared to when he left UNI is his best friend was taking over the program he was leaving and didn't want to leave him with a mess of transfers. And unless Nick Nurse is named the head coach I don't think McDermott will care if the ISU recruits don't honor their LOI's like he did when he left UNI.

During the Iowa job search, many fans,including myself,were intrigued by Steve Forbes. After he was passed over,many fans speculated that next year,after Greg Mac is fired, that Forbes would be hired by ISU and recruit like a madman and have them sitting pretty soon.
Now, fast forward, Iowa hired Fran, and suddenly, next year is actually this year for ISU...will they jump on Forbes?

Never a dull moment in Iowa college bb programs,it seems. Me? I want some dull offseasons for a change at Iowa...ie. no transfers,no firings, just good recruits commiting to the Hawks.

Latest posts