McDermott to Creighton

It just shows you that there arent many coaches available right now. Trying to hire a head basketball coach on April 26th is not a good position to be in

Nine million over ten years is not a particularly big contract. It's on the high end for that conference, but still less than they were paying Altman.

They have more money than if they had fired him, that's for sure.

Yes, but considering that they apparently couldn't afford to pay what, a $2M or $2.5M buyout, it doesn't speak well for what they have to pay for a new HC.

Their new hire probably won't make a big splash, unless it's Jacobsen. It'll most likely be a mid-major HC whose name wasn't out there a lot this Spring, or a high major assistant. They've certainly got enough money for that kind of a hire.

JP will NOT hire Jacobsen, I can almost guarantee it. Nothing against the guy, just will be put into a terrible situation based on how McD turned out. Fanbase would crucify him.

That would be very stupid of the fan base, and therefore I find what you said to be very plausible. :p

That would be very stupid of the fan base, and therefore I find what you said to be very plausible. :p

I agree 100%. It wouldn't be a bad hire, but with his new contract and what happened with previous UNI coach, don't think its going to happen.

Screw Steve Forbes. We want Bruce Pearl. Obviously he loves the state of Iowa and if we make him a big enough offer there is no way he turns it down.

he'll come because of the "tradition", and because the state of Iowa is actually the center of the universe

this whole coaching search brings me back to that article I found a while back...

"Associated Press

It has been reported by unconfirmed sources inside the University of Iowa Athletic Department that Phil Jackson is letting it be known that he is extremely interested in the vacant Iowa mens basketball coaching position. Phil Jackson, who has led both the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple NBA crowns, believes that the Iowa mens basketball coaching job is the most desirable coaching position in the world. Jackson has always wanted to live in Iowa City, which is widely known to be the center of the universe. Despite the coaching experience and National basketball hall of fame resume that Jackson would bring as head coach, many close to the U of I mens basketball program have concerns about if in fact Jackson would be the right fit, or good enough to coach such a prestigious program. One Iowa City man we spoke to stated, “we deserve the best coach out there. One that’s better than everyone else’s, and is more gooder than those last two we had. Yea, this Jackson character is good in the pros, but this is Iowa we’re talking about here!â€￾ In response to Jackson’s alleged interest in the open coaching position, Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta issued the following statement, “All coaching applications must be processed using the careers section of the Iowa athletics website in order to be considered. If his (Jackson) qualifications and interests match an available position in the athletic department, my secretary can contact him to set up a interview as I desire.â€￾ The University of Iowa plays in the Big Ten conference which is made up of eleven teams soon to be more when the Universities of Texas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, Oklahoma, Washington, and Notre Dame all come to their senses and ask to join. There is also suspicion of the Detroit lions, an NFL franchise, having interest in joining the big ten, however the logistics and legalities of this move have yet to be determined.
"

I think ISU might get Bruce Pearl to come simply due to the geographical relation to Iowa City. And I know he'd kill to be able to coach in carver every other year. I don't know why Iowa didn't consider him more seriously during their coaching search??

this whole coaching search brings me back to that article I found a while back...

"Associated Press

It has been reported by unconfirmed sources inside the University of Iowa Athletic Department that Phil Jackson is letting it be known that he is extremely interested in the vacant Iowa mens basketball coaching position. Phil Jackson, who has led both the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers to multiple NBA crowns, believes that the Iowa mens basketball coaching job is the most desirable coaching position in the world. Jackson has always wanted to live in Iowa City, which is widely known to be the center of the universe. Despite the coaching experience and National basketball hall of fame resume that Jackson would bring as head coach, many close to the U of I mens basketball program have concerns about if in fact Jackson would be the right fit, or good enough to coach such a prestigious program. One Iowa City man we spoke to stated, “we deserve the best coach out there. One that’s better than everyone else’s, and is more gooder than those last two we had. Yea, this Jackson character is good in the pros, but this is Iowa we’re talking about here!â€￾ In response to Jackson’s alleged interest in the open coaching position, Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta issued the following statement, “All coaching applications must be processed using the careers section of the Iowa athletics website in order to be considered. If his (Jackson) qualifications and interests match an available position in the athletic department, my secretary can contact him to set up a interview as I desire.â€￾ The University of Iowa plays in the Big Ten conference which is made up of eleven teams soon to be more when the Universities of Texas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, Oklahoma, Washington, and Notre Dame all come to their senses and ask to join. There is also suspicion of the Detroit lions, an NFL franchise, having interest in joining the big ten, however the logistics and legalities of this move have yet to be determined.
"

This "joke" was an epic fail in its original thread and still is today

ISU might have a tough time recruiting a new coach with all the uncertainty surrounding the Big 12. If the conference implodes in the next year, the left over members will be at a significant disadvantage. I can guarantee that no one is going to pluck Iowa State from the Big 12. They will be left holding the bag.

ISU might have a tough time recruiting a new coach with all the uncertainty surrounding the Big 12. If the conference implodes in the next year, the left over members will be at a significant disadvantage. I can guarantee that no one is going to pluck Iowa State from the Big 12. They will be left holding the bag.

the big XII isn't going anywhere. If you actually believe that the entire conference is going to disolve and that ISU will be left "holding the bag" you're a complete moron. and last I checked coaches weren't "recruited", they're hired. your entire post is an epic fail

PS the teams that were named in the "article" I cited aren't actually waiting to joing the conference... except maybe the lions? I however do understand how this may have caused confusion for someone in your "condition".

Last edited:
the big XII isn't going anywhere. If you actually believe that the entire conference is going to disolve and that ISU will be left "holding the bag" you're a complete moron. and last I checked coaches weren't "recruited", they're hired. your entire post is an epic fail

PS the teams that were named in the "article" I cited aren't actually waiting to joing the conference... except maybe the lions? I however do understand how this may have caused confusion for someone in your "condition".

Must suck being you, because this is not what I am hearing down here in SEC country. Talk pretty much is that Big Twelve will get broken up between Big Ten, ACC, and SEC.

All the talk is 4 16 team major conferences. Currently there are 66 BCS teams, but the Pac Ten is looking to pick up Utah and possibly BYU, which means there are actually less spots for the current BCS teams. Of all the scenarios I am seeing nobody is picking up ISU.

Must suck being you, because this is not what I am hearing down here in SEC country. Talk pretty much is that Big Twelve will get broken up between Big Ten, ACC, and SEC.

All the talk is 4 16 team major conferences. Currently there are 66 BCS teams, but the Pac Ten is looking to pick up Utah and possibly BYU, which means there are actually less spots for the current BCS teams. Of all the scenarios I am seeing nobody is picking up ISU.

Message board/sports talk speculation are great and all, but until there are definitive announcements regarding teams leaving conferences and realignments, I'm not going to put too much stock into it.

at least when the conference dissolves and ISU is the only remaining team, we'll win our conference every year! I can't wait for 20 straight "big 1" titles. although the conference tournament wouldn't be all that exciting! see, It doesn't suck being me. My glass is half full!

If you have any sources that aren't pure speculating and hearsay regarding this please post.

Latest posts