McDermott to Creighton

“I know this was a very difficult decision for Greg and his family,” Pollard said. “The contract terms that Creighton offered him and an opportunity to coach his son were significant factors in his decision. We wish Greg the best of luck at Creighton.”

looks like his son factored into this decision. I'm guessing he knew that he would not have been able to caoch his kid through the entirety of his college career had he brought him in at ISU. kinda sucks for UNI to lose a good scholly player at the end of April.

Must suck being you, because this is not what I am hearing down here in SEC country. Talk pretty much is that Big Twelve will get broken up between Big Ten, ACC, and SEC.

All the talk is 4 16 team major conferences. Currently there are 66 BCS teams, but the Pac Ten is looking to pick up Utah and possibly BYU, which means there are actually less spots for the current BCS teams. Of all the scenarios I am seeing nobody is picking up ISU.

A few things.

1) Still think these super conferences are 4-5 years away. Maybe the Big 10 gets a jump and in 3 years there is a change. But college Presidents are not the type to make quick decisions. If they were we would have a playoff system in college football. Doubt if a hoops coach is too worried about conference affiliation 5 years from now. More about what kind of facilities do I have to work with in comparison to the other schools in the conference.

If the conferences were to split into 4 (and I think a school like Texas is not going to want to move any time soon given the Big 12 does no have any real revenue sharing to speak of so they keep most of their $$) it probably falls this way.

3) Pac 10 East
Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State Boise State (or perhaps Nebraska if they do not go to the Big 10)

Pac 10 West
Washington, WSU, USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State.

BYU will not be asked to join the Pac 10 A little too conservative in their views given the larger quantity of more liberal schools that reside in the Pac 10. The CAL's, Oregon's Washingtons,USC's and UCLA's of the world will not be welcoming BYU with open arms. Utah will be a tough enough sell.

Mizzou and Nebraska to the Big 10.
OSU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, Texas A & M, Baylor to the
SEC (Or maybe TCU).

Big East (Football schools) & Notre Dame divided amongs the ACC and
Big 10.

I doubt if a there is any hard 16 team cap on any of these super conferences and they could grow to 18 or even 20 teams easily.
TCU, Boise State could also be added to the Pac 10 to make it
an 18 team conference.

"what about ISU is any worse than what's currently in Iowa City?"

One word: Ames.

Another: Pollard.

That said, they'll have no trouble finding an eager assistant ready to move to HC at a BCS school.

the big XII isn't going anywhere. If you actually believe that the entire conference is going to disolve and that ISU will be left "holding the bag" you're a complete moron. and last I checked coaches weren't "recruited", they're hired. your entire post is an epic fail

PS the teams that were named in the "article" I cited aren't actually waiting to joing the conference... except maybe the lions? I however do understand how this may have caused confusion for someone in your "condition".

Based on the brilliance of your reply, why don't I find it surprising that you don't understand the concept of recruiting for a job opening.

The original Big 8 members have regretted the decision to form the Big 12. Texas is on TV all the time because they have by far the biggest TV audience. ISU isn't attractive to other conferences simply because of the lack of television sets tied to the school. Money talks. Texas has even explored forming its own TV network which would only further skew the money balance in the Big 12.

Based on the brilliance of your reply, why don't I find it surprising that you don't understand the concept of recruiting for a job opening.

The original Big 8 members have regretted the decision to form the Big 12. Texas is on TV all the time because they have by far the biggest TV audience. ISU isn't attractive to other conferences simply because of the lack of television sets tied to the school. Money talks. Texas has even explored forming its own TV network which would only further skew the money balance in the Big 12.

I'm aware of the fact that Texas has more television sets and that ISU isn't nearly as attractive, but this still in no way indicates that the big XII is going to disolve and that ISU will be left high and dry. that is pure speculation on your part which you have nothing substantial to back it up with.

Yes, but considering that they apparently couldn't afford to pay what, a $2M or $2.5M buyout, it doesn't speak well for what they have to pay for a new HC.

Their new hire probably won't make a big splash, unless it's Jacobsen. It'll most likely be a mid-major HC whose name wasn't out there a lot this Spring, or a high major assistant. They've certainly got enough money for that kind of a hire.

Jake would not be received well.

Latest posts