Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

Fran needs difference-makers, players who can lift Iowa out of the depths of the B1G into contending for a conference title and getting into the NCAA tournament. Is Joe Wieskamp one of those?

He averages 15-16 points a game when he goes to the top 100 player camps. That sounds like a difference maker to me. I've watched him play over a dozen games in his career. He's rarely one-on-one from about midyear in his sophomore season. This season, he was ALWAYS double teamed and often triple teamed. And the MAC is one of the best conferences in the state; there are very few poor athletes (maybe poor basketball players but not poor athletes) on those teams. He still found ways to get to the rim and score; many times getting fouled and he shoots +80% from the line (he's scored over 600 of his points in his career from the FT line). He also is a very capable 3 point shooter, especially when not bodied up by two guys. All of this, to me, adds up to mean he's a difference maker.

I'll take that. I just saw Ricky on this youtube show with Kevin Garnett the other night. Dude shot some hoops from the top of the key and was just draining them. Iowa could have been pretty darn good if he'd have stuck around a few more years. He and Dean Oliver could have done some serious damage.

No way Ricky would have remained eligible. He was barely eligible to play at North.

He was gangly, but not that bad.

I hope the kid can put on some weight. Might be some validity in having him meet with Doyle. Google Ike Boettger High School and you get an idea of what the guy can do (as long as the body will cooperate).

As a high school senior, Jarrod was 6'8" and 200 pounds.

He averages 15-16 points a game when he goes to the top 100 player camps. That sounds like a difference maker to me. I've watched him play over a dozen games in his career. He's rarely one-on-one from about midyear in his sophomore season. This season, he was ALWAYS double teamed and often triple teamed. And the MAC is one of the best conferences in the state; there are very few poor athletes (maybe poor basketball players but not poor athletes) on those teams. He still found ways to get to the rim and score; many times getting fouled and he shoots +80% from the line (he's scored over 600 of his points in his career from the FT line). He also is a very capable 3 point shooter, especially when not bodied up by two guys. All of this, to me, adds up to mean he's a difference maker.

His game is completely different than I had pictured. I had no clue he could get to the rim like that. I also had no idea how much he played above the rim.

Joe Wieskamp is a Power 5 talent. If he wasn't going to Iowa, he'd be at another Power 5 school.

You didn’t answer the question. There are many supposedly Power 5-caliber players who go to P5 schools and end as journeymen or bench-warmers. In your opinion, will Wieskamp be a difference-maker — a game-changer — for Iowa basketball?

Patrick has had trouble adding weight since undergoing cancer treatment in eighth grade. It's been really gradual, but he actually getting stronger. Uthoff and Baer both struggled to add weight but got stronger. I think Patrick is always going to be light, but he can get stronger.

BTW, currently watching Xavier Foster at the state tournament for the second time this week. He's very impressive and has two seasons left.
You watching Cedar Falls?

You didn’t answer the question. There are many supposedly Power 5-caliber players who go to P5 schools and end as journeymen or bench-warmers. In your opinion, will Wieskamp be a difference-maker — a game-changer — for Iowa basketball?

I assume Rob will want to temper expectations for him. But he's seen him play , so he knows he will be a difference maker.

Do you consider Dev Marble a difference maker? Weiskamp will be better than him.

Pat is listed as 6’8” 180. It’d be tough for anyone to put on 20+ lbs let alone after the medical issues McCaffery had.

When I graduated from HS I was 6'8" and 160 pounds. I put on 40 pounds in college. (60 pounds heavier now :( )

Bold statement. But, yeah, Dev clearly had a positive impact on the team(s) he was on.

Not all that bold. What percentage of top 50 recruits end up at least as good as Dev? Half maybe? Probably a little less. I also think he's under rated tho. If he would have committed to a blue blood he would be ranked where the NBA camps think he should be. More like top 20. Then ask what percentage of top 20 recruits have a bigger impact than Dev. Probably 75%

There’s no way to tell what he’ll do because he’s never played P5 talent on a big stage before. Playing on AAU and other all star teams, while impressive, isn’t the Real Deal Holyfield. I personally don’t think he’s going to be everything he’s cracked up to be. He’ll be a good player and best case scenario similar to Uthoff without the D. He’s not going to come in and be a shot stopper, he just doesn’t play that way. Dunking on outgunned 6’2” high school kids who won’t ever play college ball is one thing, shooting against the Bates-Diops of the world is a whole other deal altogether.

There’s no way to tell what he’ll do because he’s never played P5 talent on a big stage before. Playing on AAU and other all star teams, while impressive, isn’t the Real Deal Holyfield. I personally don’t think he’s going to be everything he’s cracked up to be. He’ll be a good player and best case scenario similar to Uthoff without the D. He’s not going to come in and be a shot stopper, he just doesn’t play that way. Dunking on outgunned 6’2” high school kids who won’t ever play college ball is one thing, shooting against the Bates-Diops of the world is a whole other deal altogether.

He doesn't play that way? That's exactly how he plays.

When I graduated from HS I was 6'8" and 160 pounds.
Jesus man, that’s almost not healthy. So if you ate say a pound of cheese balls a day it’d go in the top end and right out the bottom without ever gaining an ounce? I kinda wish I had that sometimes.

When I graduated from HS I was 6'8" and 160 pounds. I put on 40 pounds in college. (60 pounds heavier now :( )
I found you!

seven-foot-high-school-basketball-player.jpg

If Weiskamp doesn't run Moss to the bench...I will be disappointed...and surprised...

Playing on a poor team and fighting double teams...seasoned him I would guess...and shoots 85% from the FT line...also a sign of talent.

Chemistry will be important...and please...please...please...team...learn to love defense...

6 of Iowa's 13 scholarship players are African American and they have a player from Europe. The freshman and sophomore class has kids from DC, IN, MO, IL, IA and OH. How diverse do we have to be?
How many of those six got to play around 20 minutes a game?????