Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

You didn’t answer the question. There are many supposedly Power 5-caliber players who go to P5 schools and end as journeymen or bench-warmers. In your opinion, will Wieskamp be a difference-maker — a game-changer — for Iowa basketball?

You didn't answer the question when I asked for clarification of you saying JW was a mid-major player. Do you think he belongs at a mid-major?

You watching Cedar Falls?

A little bit. I had some errands to run so didn't get to see much. I watched them Tuesday.

I like AJ Green. I saw him at PTL last summer as well and through the years on the AAU circuit. I don't think he was an option for Iowa. He turned down other schools for UNI. He wanted to play for his dad. Can't blame him.

I was also impressed with the athleticism of Jack Campbell, the Cedar Falls forward. Saw him play against Iowa City West in football. Has a chance to be a good college linebacker once he fills out.

Wieskamp is about the same size as Jok was when he arrived at Iowa. He will never quite be the shooter Jok was but he's a better athlete and can do more than PJ. I'd say if he's better than Pete, we're in good shape.

Let's at least give CJ Fredrick a chance before we show bias and just say he's another Ogelsby or Ellingson. It's just lazy to state something like that.

my view of JW is that he could be an Adam Haluska type. That's a really high bar for those who remember AH. He had an outstanding SR and lead or almost lead the B1G in scoring. 20+ ppg.

my view of JW is that he could be an Adam Haluska type. That's a really high bar for those who remember AH. He had an outstanding SR and lead or almost lead the B1G in scoring. 20+ ppg.
I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. He was really good. How is JWs defense? I've only seen highlights of him on O. If he can D up at all he'll play a ton right away. Might play a lot right away regardless

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. He was really good. How is JWs defense? I've only seen highlights of him on O. If he can D up at all he'll play a ton right away. Might play a lot right away regardless

Hard to tell his on ball defense based on the competition, but his effort and his off ball defense looks like a more athletic Baer from last year.

Hard to tell his on ball defense based on the competition, but his effort and his off ball defense looks like a more athletic Baer from last year.
That's kinda what I figured.... He's played against some good kids in AAU ball I would think was curious from those that may have seen him play against kids of similar skill sets there. Has he played at Iowa's summer deal in North Liberty? (Not that D is played there either I guess)

Unfortunately the roster is full of 2/3s, JW will probably contribute offensively and play major minutes by the end of next season. The Hawkeyes' problem hasn't been the offense, it's the defense. After watching his defense against the West High Trojans, does anyone really think his presence will make our defense better against P5 teams?

How many of those six got to play around 20 minutes a game?????

I'm ok with Dom Uhl and Wagner not getting the minutes. Skin color literally doesn't matter and shouldn't dictate time played. Play the best guys. The point of any of it is that Iowa is plenty "diverse" and have players from all over.

If Weiskamp doesn't run Moss to the bench...I will be disappointed...and surprised...

Playing on a poor team and fighting double teams...seasoned him I would guess...and shoots 85% from the FT line...also a sign of talent.

Chemistry will be important...and please...please...please...team...learn to love defense...

Honestly, I think he runs Baer and Wagner to more bench - he's gonna play the 3 at Iowa. Cmac and Dailey (if he stays) opens up more Jordan at the 2 with Moss as well. Iowa will have much more 1,2 and 3 combos and help next season IMO

Unfortunately the roster is full of 2/3s, JW will probably contribute offensively and play major minutes by the end of next season. The Hawkeyes' problem hasn't been the offense, it's the defense. After watching his defense against the West High Trojans, does anyone really think his presence will make our defense better against P5 teams?

I think if a better player takes minutes from a worse player , the team improves all around. It would be kinda tough to gauge, but I would be surprised if Wieskamp's defense next year isn't an upgrade over Moss's defense this year. Someone pointed out that Moss is capable of better defense than he showed this year, and I agree with that. But this year he was terrible on defense. Wieskamp will not only be a better scorer than Moss, he will be a smarter player and a way better rebounder. I'm thinking by his sophomore year, he will be rebounding like You did his senior year, which is pretty elite for a 2/3.

Iowa's roster is full of 2's and 3's? Not good enough ones, it was the main contributor to this season. Honestly hadn't heard that take before.

Iowa's roster is full of 2's and 3's? Not good enough ones, it was the main contributor to this season. Honestly hadn't heard that take before.

That's what I was thinking . 2s and 3s were by far the biggest weakness on this team. We need a player (not necessarily a point guard) that can attack the rim. We are getting that player. Wieskamp pretty much fills our biggest need.

gu0m2.jpg

This is what I was thinking as well. I remember after seeing some Wieskamp highlights on twitter or here, "When was the last time Iowa had a wing this athletic?" The one I went back to was Haluska. He could have been an elite athlete in 3 different sports at DI level (was an awesome FB and track athlete as well).

Fran needs difference makers, players who can run the fast break, drive to the rim, stop penetration in the lane, disrupt the attack, not be afraid to jump out to the perimeter or bang down low.

Based on their highlight videos, I’m not convinced these guys are that.

We shall see.

I won't speak to Frederick, but you don't see elite athleticism here?