Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

Wieskamp is about the same size as Jok was when he arrived at Iowa. He will never quite be the shooter Jok was but he's a better athlete and can do more than PJ. I'd say if he's better than Pete, we're in good shape.

Let's at least give CJ Fredrick a chance before we show bias and just say he's another Ogelsby or Ellingson. It's just lazy to state something like that.

The question is is Fran a power 5 coach and will he get power 5 performance out of Joe.

Is clearly an average power 5 coach since that's what we've been overall during his tenure here. He's also gotten power 5 performances out of most of his players that weren't fallback type guys.

Wieskamp is about the same size as Jok was when he arrived at Iowa. He will never quite be the shooter Jok was but he's a better athlete and can do more than PJ. I'd say if he's better than Pete, we're in good shape.

Let's at least give CJ Fredrick a chance before we show bias and just say he's another Ogelsby or Ellingson. It's just lazy to state something like that.

My guess is he had a career similar to Jok, but one year ahead of schedule.

His film reminds me of Fleming's coming out of high school but Fleming was a lot more athletic.

Weiskamp will be the best 2/3 at Iowa since Ricky Davis.
I'll take that. I just saw Ricky on this youtube show with Kevin Garnett the other night. Dude shot some hoops from the top of the key and was just draining them. Iowa could have been pretty darn good if he'd have stuck around a few more years. He and Dean Oliver could have done some serious damage.

Patrick has had trouble adding weight since undergoing cancer treatment in eighth grade. It's been really gradual, but he actually getting stronger. Uthoff and Baer both struggled to add weight but got stronger. I think Patrick is always going to be light, but he can get stronger.

BTW, currently watching Xavier Foster at the state tournament for the second time this week. He's very impressive and has two seasons left.

He's skinny - but he's not Erek Hanson, JR Koch, Ryan Bowen freshman year skinny is he?
Skinnier, I think. Like I said maybe I'm wrong but I can't see him dancing with a B1G senior forward unless he puts some serious pounds on.

AR-171009757.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

61008084E.jpg

Patrick looks like Bobby Jones...IMHO

Hopefully all of these guys can get Iowa back to living in a "discussion" about where their seed will be each year in March Madness...

I'm just going to put this out there and if it gets me banned, so be it.

Fran's teams lack diversity -- geography, race, athletic strength, speed, playing experience, backgrounds. These may be two really good players at the high school level. But I question whether they're going to contribute much to making Iowa a better team in the B1G and on the national level.

Just seems like two more of what we see a lot of in Fran Mac-recruited teams, who would be better suited to compete in the MAC than a Power 5 conference.
Uhl came from Germany.
Olesaini From England.
Luka from DC.
Bryce Cartwright was from California.
Basabe from New York City.

You may not be off base in saying they won't make Iowa a better team in the BIG or the national level. There's a decent chance that your spot on. But it won't be because of lack of diversity in geography, race, or backgrounds. And to be honest in state talent seems to be on a steady upswing but perhaps not quite to the level of when Roy Williams was stealing it. I'm with you, though, that I would love a Bruno Blutarsky type. Or whatever the name of that dude from Maryland is.

Skinnier, I think. Like I said maybe I'm wrong but I can't see him dancing with a B1G senior forward unless he puts some serious pounds on.

AR-171009757.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

61008084E.jpg
How big was Uthoff as a high school junior? Seems to me that they have the same frame. Uthoff didn't seem to bulk up until his junior year and that included a redshirt year.

As for Wieskamp he reminds me of a little more athletic Jake Kelly. I don't know if he will start on day one but I think his true value to this team is he will be able to put pressure on Moss to get better and more consistent.

How big was Uthoff as a high school junior? Seems to me that they have the same frame. Uthoff didn't seem to bulk up until his junior year and that included a redshirt year.
He was gangly, but not that bad.

I hope the kid can put on some weight. Might be some validity in having him meet with Doyle. Google Ike Boettger High School and you get an idea of what the guy can do (as long as the body will cooperate).

I'm excited to see both of these guys play for the Hawks! The problem I see is that neither of them appear to fill an area of need, and both look like everyone else we have on the team already, which is too many forwards and guards without above average lateral quickness. Scoring lots of points isn't the problem for the Hawks. It's defense and the ability to create offense with quickness, during certain periods of then game.
I too am excited both these guys are Hawks, especially Weiskamp. Be shocked if he isn't a difference maker next year.

Maybe I'm missing something here but last year with Jok and these current (younger) players we were pretty dam good! So the missing ingredient was the drop off at the 2 spot not JBO's lack of being a "true" point guard since we didn't hear that complaint a lot last year it seemed. So adding Weiskamp and a now fighting to keep his spot as a JR Moss the play at the 2 might just get back to where Jok had it thus taking the heat off JBO once again. I'm thinking the loss of Joks leadership was a very big contributer as well and perhaps there was some disarray as a result that should be resolved hopefully.

Add another year to all these guys and I'm picking the Hawks top 5 in the BIG and dancing! GO HAWKS!

Latest posts