Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

We’ll see when they put on the Black and Gold and go up against the likes of Michigan or Sparty or Purdue. Fran has landed other Mr. Basketballs and they’ve been good but not great.

Fran needs difference makers, players who can run the fast break, drive to the rim, stop penetration in the lane, disrupt the attack, not be afraid to jump out to the perimeter or bang down low.

Based on their highlight videos, I’m not convinced these guys are that.

We shall see.

You honestly think Joe Wieskamp is a mid-major player?

We’ll see when they put on the Black and Gold and go up against the likes of Michigan or Sparty or Purdue. Fran has landed other Mr. Basketballs and they’ve been good but not great.

Fran needs difference makers, players who can run the fast break, drive to the rim, stop penetration in the lane, disrupt the attack, not be afraid to jump out to the perimeter or bang down low.

We shall see.

Weiskamp will for sure be the guy who drives to the rim. I can't comment on his desire to play defense. But he definitely has the physical tools to be a good defender.

Was watching the DBs run the 40 at the NFL combine. Prime Time Deion Sanders was on the ground commenting about most of the guys running. First guy I saw run was a white DB who ran a 4.35 40 (can't remember his name) which was one of the fastest times. Deion was blown away and kept saying he couldn't believe the guy ran that fast. Rich Eisen and the other guy in the booth asked him jokingly why he was so surprised because they knew what he was implying. They all laughed.

This ^ is the spirit people should take when talking about the difference between white and black athletes. It's not racist to admit what your eyes see when you see black athletes generally running faster or jumping higher than white ones. It doesn't imply some kind of secret feeling one has towards black athletes that suggests anything animalistic or anything nefarious. If anything, it's complimentary towards them.

The problem here is the knee-jerk need to see everything these days through the prism of victimization and to automatically think the worst of the person with an opinion contrary to yours.

Just lighten up already.

For those who didn't see this already ...

I saw Weiskamp drive by a guy and dunk 2 handed live. It was amazing. I saw it on video after and it was just pretty good. The best dunk I can compare it to as far as a guard driving in traffic and dunking was when Marble had his business meeting against Minnesota. It was a dunk I didn't think he had in him. This one of Weiskamp's was even better than that one because it was 2 hands. Have you ever seen a guard from Iowa drive the lane in traffic and 2 hand dunk it? I'm sure it's happened before, but it's rare.

We shall see.

Uthoff, Jok and Bohannon are 3 Mr. Basketball's I can think of off my head. One was Iowa's fist consensus All-American in 19 years, the other lead the B1G in scoring and was 1st team all B1G selection, the other's on pace to destroy a lot of records at Iowa and was on the All Frosh team and honorable mention his Sophomore year. Who are the others?

You honestly think Joe Wieskamp is a mid-major player?
Fran needs difference-makers, players who can lift Iowa out of the depths of the B1G into contending for a conference title and getting into the NCAA tournament. Is Joe Wieskamp one of those?

Uthoff, Jok and Bohannon are 3 Mr. Basketball's I can think of off my head. One was Iowa's fist consensus All-American in 19 years, the other lead the B1G in scoring and was 1st team all B1G selection, the other's on pace to destroy a lot of records at Iowa and was on the All Frosh team and honorable mention his Sophomore year. Who are the others?

I think the more relevant question is how many kids were talked about as one of the greatest players in state history, then went on to be anything other than really good in college? That's gotta be close to 100% doesn't it?

Fran needs difference-makers, players who can lift Iowa out of the depths of the B1G into contending for a conference title and getting into the NCAA tournament. Is Joe Wieskamp one of those?

Joe Wieskamp is a Power 5 talent. If he wasn't going to Iowa, he'd be at another Power 5 school.

Both of the incoming recuits shoot in the mid eighties for their free throws. Both are players of the year in their states so they must be good athletes. I'm sure they will need work on their defense, but the offensive ability is definitely there. They should be enjoyable to watch and great additions to the team.

Both of the incoming recuits shoot in the mid eighties for their free throws. Both are players of the year in their states so they must be good athletes. I'm sure they will need work on their defense, but the offensive ability is definitely there. They should be enjoyable to watch and great additions to the team.

Joe is athletic and he will be relied on next year. He's the real deal. If Fredrick plays serious minutes next year that's not a good thing in my opinion.

Joe is athletic and he will be relied on next year. He's the real deal. If Fredrick plays serious minutes next year that's not a good thing in my opinion.

Why not a good thing? We already know what we have on the team now. If Fredrick is an upgrade, how's that not good?

Joe Wieskamp is a Power 5 talent. If he wasn't going to Iowa, he'd be at another Power 5 school.
I know he wasn’t part of the OP, but what are your thoughts on McCaffery being so skinny? I’m not going at this condescendingly; I’m honestly wondering. He’s obviously a highly regarded recruit but after seeing the pics of him at the state tourney I just can’t imagine him playing Big Ten basketball. I’m sure his cancer treatments had a lot to do with it but I just don’t see how someone like that can hang with the forwards in this league. He’s absolutely skin and bones.

I know he wasn’t part of the OP, but what are your thoughts on McCaffery being so skinny? I’m not going at this condescendingly; I’m honestly wondering. He’s obviously a highly regarded recruit but after seeing the pics of him at the state tourney I just can’t imagine him playing Big Ten basketball. I’m sure his cancer treatments had a lot to do with it but I just don’t see how someone like that can hang with the forwards in this league. He’s absolutely skin and bones.

I think he's noticeably bigger than last year (crazy huh ) and he still has 2 years before his freshman year. So if he keeps getting bigger, it won't be THAT bad hopefully.

I think he's noticeably bigger than last year (crazy huh ) and he still has 2 years before his freshman year. So if he keeps getting bigger, it won't be THAT bad hopefully.
I brought it up because I thought he looked thinner at the tournament actually. Maybe I was wrong.