Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

It's hard to get excited about any recruits when we only have two coming so far I look at other power 5 teams and I have three to four maybe even 5. People just remember next year same guys. Playing the same defense. With the same coaches who aren't teaching any defense. Defense wins games. It's just going to be the same thing next year. We're going to have to hold someone accountable.

It's hard to get excited about any recruits when we only have two coming so far I look at other power 5 teams and I have three to four maybe even 5. People just remember next year same guys. Playing the same defense. With the same coaches who aren't teaching any defense. Defense wins games. It's just going to be the same thing next year. We're going to have to hold someone accountable.

you understand how scholarship distribution works right?

Moss: We have seen his talent at times be it all to infrequent. I just wonder if JW, as a true frosh, can beat him out as a starter. I think we all have to wait and see who leaves the program to get the answers we want. If we get a few, I hope Fran goes JUCO for a point guard who is quick and plays defense.

I'm not sure Fran does haha.

That's actually really funny... but, that's exactly what I mean. It's not like he can sign a bunch of kids with no open spots. I get that he needs to either Crean some players or be better with the ships he does have but he only had a total of 4 or 5 or open spots his first 2 years and his 3rd class was big, which is now in cycle of Iowa's Sophomore soon to be Junior class. Those first 2 years of 4 or 5 open spots which were occupied by Marble, White, Basabe and Olseni, Cartwright. Year 3 he had MG, Sapp, Woody, JU.

Still - his Jr and Sr classes from this season and those whiffs- (Uhl, Ellingson, Wagner and Baer) are clearly the glaring issues in the program. That's why I was quite happy with Fran early on, not so much lately.

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's the first player that came to mind. Who would you compare him to?

I'm not sure honestly, but I just think he looks like he a little more game than Fleming, Ellingson or Oglesby. He's not going to be a great one but will have his niche here.

I'm not sure honestly, but I just think he looks like he a little more game than Fleming, Ellingson or Oglesby. He's not going to be a great one but will have his niche here.

If you go back and watch Fleming's tape and then watching CJ's I don't know how you could come to the conclusion he has more game than Fleming did. Fleming had some bounce at least and the rest of it is just them making three's or pull up jumpers pretty much.

And he was willing to come without a scholarship...has one now of course. A guy that turns down scholarship offers to be a Hawk gets a little bit of latitude from me...time to prove himself.

If you go back and watch Fleming's tape and then watching CJ's I don't know how you could come to the conclusion he has more game than Fleming did. Fleming had some bounce at least and the rest of it is just them making three's or pull up jumpers pretty much.

Two guys can have to exact same game, but one can just have a better feel for the game, which allows him to get more shots off. Who knows if that's the case with CJ or not. I'm just saying some guys play above their skill level and some play below it.

It remains to be seen what either will do in college, but both should be solid contributors. I think a lot depends on what kind of motors and mind sets they have. They both have already shown their basketball abilities. They will have a learning curve.

gu0m2.jpg

Who cares what bill cosby thinks.

That's actually really funny... but, that's exactly what I mean. It's not like he can sign a bunch of kids with no open spots. I get that he needs to either Crean some players or be better with the ships he does have but he only had a total of 4 or 5 or open spots his first 2 years and his 3rd class was big, which is now in cycle of Iowa's Sophomore soon to be Junior class. Those first 2 years of 4 or 5 open spots which were occupied by Marble, White, Basabe and Olseni, Cartwright. Year 3 he had MG, Sapp, Woody, JU.

Still - his Jr and Sr classes from this season and those whiffs- (Uhl, Ellingson, Wagner and Baer) are clearly the glaring issues in the program. That's why I was quite happy with Fran early on, not so much lately.

I actually agree with you. Fran has 3 strikes with me already. I litteraly would have fired him by now after this season.

Strike 1) His most talented team to date fell flat on thier face at the end of the season and cost us a 2 seed. Instead we face Gonzaga (I think) and lose.

Strike 2) 2 back to back seasons of sub par recruiting. Obviously He has now had 1 decent recruiting class since and 2 really good ones. So maybe that strike has an asterisk by it.

Strike 3) This season. No matter what this team is way better than Fran ever got them to play. They are still better than we ever saw against any B1G team.

I personally would have let Fran go because of the learning curve he has had here. Since I can't control those decisions. I will obviously see at least 1 more Fran team. So I try to remain hopeful for Fran to figure it out. I believe that we have the players to compete. If Cook comes back and every key player stays and grows another year, then there is absolutely zero excuse to not be a Top 5 team in the B1G. Fran has some serious proving to do. We will see what he gets out of this team next year.

Unfortunately the roster is full of 2/3s, JW will probably contribute offensively and play major minutes by the end of next season. The Hawkeyes' problem hasn't been the offense, it's the defense. After watching his defense against the West High Trojans, does anyone really think his presence will make our defense better against P5 teams?

It’s funny how even now people want to focus on offense. If you average ninety-nine points a game but give up an average of 110 points a game your going to lose A LOT of games.

This place is fantasy island sometimes. Out there right now is someone who is thinking we just need to average 120 points a game. Lol

It’s funny how even now people want to focus on offense. If you average ninety-nine points a game but give up an average of 110 points a game your going to lose A LOT of games.

This place is fantasy island sometimes. Out there right now is someone who is thinking we just need to average 120 points a game. Lol
Someone like Paul Westhead.

We need to be capable of consistent, good offense when the heat is on. There was a decent amount of that. But not enough. Defense is still the main issues by far (one that can be corrected to some extent by just giving max effort for 40 minutes) but offense was an issue too, reguardless of stats.

Our 2 and 3 were probably at the very bottom of the Big 10 this year. You can't have those two positions be that bad and still be good. I would say we were a top 50 team on offense last year when going against teams that were trying .

I thought Fleming had a poor mans Matt Gatens game to him. At least the potential of it. I was off just a wee bit with that. CJ looks so much like Ellingson/Oglesby clones to me it's scary. If he ends up more than that I'll be pleasantly surprised