Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

There’s no way to tell what he’ll do because he’s never played P5 talent on a big stage before. Playing on AAU and other all star teams, while impressive, isn’t the Real Deal Holyfield. I personally don’t think he’s going to be everything he’s cracked up to be. He’ll be a good player and best case scenario similar to Uthoff without the D. He’s not going to come in and be a shot stopper, he just doesn’t play that way. Dunking on outgunned 6’2” high school kids who won’t ever play college ball is one thing, shooting against the Bates-Diops of the world is a whole other deal altogether.

I've seen him play about a dozen games during his years as a starter here in Muscatine. He dunked over 6'2" athletes. He dunked over 6'8" athletes (both big guys from IC West). He shot the three with decent accuracy. He could dribble in a crowd as he was always double and often triple teamed by good athletes and managed to get to the rim. He caught passes I thought were surely out of bounds and he managed to bring the pass in and get a good shot off on the next hop.

DJ Carton has his hand at trying to stop him and I saw JW make him and the rest of the Bettendorf team look foolish on some of his moves both on offense and defense. I saw him play against IC West last year in the substate game and he pretty much took care of everyone IC West could throw at him including PM and CM. Not sure what you mean about not being a shot stopper as he played perimeter defense (from the zone most of the time as Muscatine was NOT a good team) and guys couldn't get shots off effectively against him; he also came from the weak side often to block shots by opposing teams' centers and forwards.

Yeah, it's a bit different in the Big 10 than in high school. But JW has the tools.

If you go back and watch Fleming's tape and then watching CJ's I don't know how you could come to the conclusion he has more game than Fleming did. Fleming had some bounce at least and the rest of it is just them making three's or pull up jumpers pretty much.

Did Fleming shoot 48.3% from three his senior year like CJ? Maybe he did, I'm not sure. I do remember reading how he could shoot well one game and be terrible the next.

And he was willing to come without a scholarship...has one now of course. A guy that turns down scholarship offers to be a Hawk gets a little bit of latitude from me...time to prove himself.

Was he willing to come to Iowa without a scholarship because he was told he'd likely eventually get one? Is it true he was offered by Penn St and Xavier as well?

Look, I'm not willing to dive into a foxhole for CJ but just think he should be given a chance. It's just too easy to say he's another Fleming, JO, or BE. And we all know it's just because they're all white.

I won't speak to Frederick, but you don't see elite athleticism here?

In this clip, it's kind of hard to see but he was knocked to the floor just before this. The shooter thought he had a good look because JW was on his butt on the floor. JW got up and then blocked the shot and then took it the length and flushed it. You can see him getting up on the second and third replays.

I found you!

seven-foot-high-school-basketball-player.jpg
Dude makes Shawn Bradley look like Dwayne Johnson.

If you go back and watch Fleming's tape and then watching CJ's I don't know how you could come to the conclusion he has more game than Fleming did. Fleming had some bounce at least and the rest of it is just them making three's or pull up jumpers pretty much.

For Adidas Nations in 2014, assuming it's the same AF, Fleming was 3-26 from 3 for 11.5%. So there is that.

I've seen him play about a dozen games during his years as a starter here in Muscatine. He dunked over 6'2" athletes. He dunked over 6'8" athletes (both big guys from IC West). He shot the three with decent accuracy. He could dribble in a crowd as he was always double and often triple teamed by good athletes and managed to get to the rim. He caught passes I thought were surely out of bounds and he managed to bring the pass in and get a good shot off on the next hop.

DJ Carton has his hand at trying to stop him and I saw JW make him and the rest of the Bettendorf team look foolish on some of his moves both on offense and defense. I saw him play against IC West last year in the substate game and he pretty much took care of everyone IC West could throw at him including PM and CM. Not sure what you mean about not being a shot stopper as he played perimeter defense (from the zone most of the time as Muscatine was NOT a good team) and guys couldn't get shots off effectively against him; he also came from the weak side often to block shots by opposing teams' centers and forwards.

Yeah, it's a bit different in the Big 10 than in high school. But JW has the tools.
I guess where I was going is that there’s no way to see how he’ll pan out until he gets there. Any predictions now are guesses. There are talents coming out of high school in the United States where you can see, “Yep, that kid is a crazy talent who’ll be a one and done and go right to the NBA.” Joe Wieskamp isn’t anywhere near that level and while he may be really, really good, you can’t tell if he’ll succeed or not by playing against AAU teams made up of mostly non-college players and high school teams with even less talent. I could very well be wrong, but I don’t think it’s time to write him in as the next Hinrich or Collison, which some people here and a lot of people on social media are doing.

I guess where I was going is that there’s no way to see how he’ll pan out until he gets there. Any predictions now are guesses. There are talents coming out of high school in the United States where you can see, “Yep, that kid is a crazy talent who’ll be a one and done and go right to the NBA.” Joe Wieskamp isn’t anywhere near that level and while he may be really, really good, you can’t tell if he’ll succeed or not by playing against AAU teams made up of mostly non-college players and high school teams with even less talent. I could very well be wrong, but I don’t think it’s time to write him in as the next Hinrich or Collison, which some people here and a lot of people on social media are doing.

When a kid is in the conversation for the best player in the history of the state, I'd say there is a 95% chance he'll be a great college player, baring injury. How many players in the last 30 years were being talked about as possibly the best in the state? 5 or 10 maybe? We're any of them not really good college players?

I disagree. Hinrich was not a 1 and done talent and I doubt that Joe is either, but Joe is on the absolute fringe of that level. Hinrich level career is exactly what I expect from Joe.

When a kid is in the conversation for the best player in the history of the state, I'd say there is a 95% chance he'll be a great college player, baring injury. How many players in the last 30 years were being talked about as possibly the best in the state? 5 or 10 maybe? We're any of them not really good college players?
I disagree. Hinrich was not a 1 and done talent and I doubt that Joe is either, but Joe is on the absolute fringe of that level. Hinrich level career is exactly what I expect from Joe.
I obviously can’t prove either of you wrong, but I don’t think he’s that good. Time will tell and I’m more than willing to eat crow.

I obviously can’t prove either of you wrong, but I don’t think he’s that good. Time will tell and I’m more than willing to eat crow.
How do you not take Weiskamp if your Fran. Leader in 4A history in scoring, high BB iq, great kid, quick off his feet. I think he will find his place in the Big 10 and help the Hawks. Will he come in and lead the Hawks in scoring...probably not, but he will help us. Bank on it.

The only way you can be wrong is if you guarantee it one way or the other. It's just crazy that you can see or hear anything about him and form an opinion that he isn't that good. Everything about his game looks really good and looks like it will translate to college.

How do you not take Weiskamp if your Fran. Leader in 4A history in scoring, high BB iq, great kid, quick off his feet. I think he will find his place in the Big 10 and help the Hawks. Will he come in and lead the Hawks in scoring...probably not, but he will help us. Bank on it.
You absolutely take Wieskamp. You’re misinterpreting what I said. He’s the best player Iowa is going to get by a loooooooing shot.

Did Fleming shoot 48.3% from three his senior year like CJ? Maybe he did, I'm not sure. I do remember reading how he could shoot well one game and be terrible the next.

In not sure what Fleming shot at Oak Hill but he was playing against top talent. I know Ellingson shot the ball at a high clip in high school too so not sure it really matters that much. Hell Cook barely averaged double digits as a senior. Everyone's situation is different and Kentucky basketball is not very good, that's about all I know.

Here is a video or Kirk in HS. The abilities are very similar. Kirk was a little better passer at this age. Not near as good of a rebounder.
In not sure what Fleming shot at Oak Hill but he was playing against top talent. I know Ellingson shot the ball at a high clip in high school too so not sure it really matters that much. Hell Cook barely averaged double digits as a senior. Everyone's situation is different and Kentucky basketball is not very good, that's about all I know.

The kids in the CJ highlights are certainly not great opponents. However as we all know you don't have to be LeBron James to get open shots. If you can make them you will probably play.