Iowa Recruits Joe Wieskamp, C.J. Fredrick Capture Gatorade Honors

Looks like CJ needs to be a sharp shooter. Listed at 6'4" and has a breakaway and goes with the layup. Not trying to be negative but he doesn't seem extremely athletic.

Lots of different opinions on if Joe can start right away or what his role will be but most are certainly looking for him to make a significant contribution next year. Hoping Joe and Connor will have a positive impact on the depth of our back court and reduce JBos minutes in a way to use Connor to improve the team defense as well as give JBo more rest and fresher legs for the offensive end for when he is playing. A lot of teams press and pressure him and I'm sure it wore him down on a nightly basis but it also probably took its toll over the season as well.

Many people go through their lives thinking they are not racist because they are generally a good person and do not actively discriminate. That does not mean those people are not racist.

It's called casual racism. https://itstopswithme.humanrights.gov.au/what-can-you-do/speak/casual-racism Just because you think this is new fangled social justice crap doesn't make you correct.

Ok based on that article, I'm definitely a casual racist. Race jokes make me laugh sometimes.

Ok based on that article, I'm definitely a casual racist. Race jokes make me laugh sometimes.
Yeah, that is clear. That's what started this entire conversation. Its not a good thing as you appear to think. "Lighten up" is not an appropriate attitude about racism.

Looks like CJ needs to be a sharp shooter. Listed at 6'4" and has a breakaway and goes with the layup. Not trying to be negative but he doesn't seem extremely athletic.

Lots of different opinions on if Joe can start right away or what his role will be but most are certainly looking for him to make a significant contribution next year. Hoping Joe and Connor will have a positive impact on the depth of our back court and reduce JBos minutes in a way to use Connor to improve the team defense as well as give JBo more rest and fresher legs for the offensive end for when he is playing. A lot of teams press and pressure him and I'm sure it wore him down on a nightly basis but it also probably took its toll over the season as well.

Our Oglesby/Ellingson players over the years never had the ability to get their shots off. It doesn't mean he won't be able to. If he can, he will be a valuable player.

I'm excited to see both of these guys play for the Hawks! The problem I see is that neither of them appear to fill an area of need, and both look like everyone else we have on the team already, which is too many forwards and guards without above average lateral quickness. Scoring lots of points isn't the problem for the Hawks. It's defense and the ability to create offense with quickness, during certain periods of then game.

Was watching the DBs run the 40 at the NFL combine. Prime Time Deion Sanders was on the ground commenting about most of the guys running. First guy I saw run was a white DB who ran a 4.35 40 (can't remember his name) which was one of the fastest times. Deion was blown away and kept saying he couldn't believe the guy ran that fast. Rich Eisen and the other guy in the booth asked him jokingly why he was so surprised because they knew what he was implying. They all laughed.

This ^ is the spirit people should take when talking about the difference between white and black athletes. It's not racist to admit what your eyes see when you see black athletes generally running faster or jumping higher than white ones. It doesn't imply some kind of secret feeling one has towards black athletes that suggests anything animalistic or anything nefarious. If anything, it's complimentary towards them.

The problem here is the knee-jerk need to see everything these days through the prism of victimization and to automatically think the worst of the person with an opinion contrary to yours.

Just lighten up already.

This entire post is racist. I'm sorry you don't think it is, but it is. Jimmy the Greek went down this path and it cost him his job because... its racist. It is 100% racist. It really doesn't matter what your "opinion" is. You don't get to redefine racism because you are saying racist things but don't "consider yourself a racist."

It's also racist because of the historical context of race discrimination. Historically, hand in hand with the idea that blacks are better at sports there is an underlying (and sometimes explicit) message that they are more beastial and animalistic. Also there is a historical context that conversely, blacks are intellectually inferior which still persists today when you see so few black head coaches, owners etc. You can't ignore these historical contexts.
Instead of deflecting @PCHawk ‘s question, why don’t you give us an explanation as to why people with African descent are fewer in population, but make up the vast majority of the best professional athletes in sports that require the highest level of pure athletic ability such as the NBA, NFL, elite sprinting, long-distance running, etc?

Why every 100m sprint record since 1936 has been run by a black man?

Why the last 9 out of 10 marathon record holders, going back to the 80s, is someone of African descent.

I get what you’re saying about racism, but it’s not deniable that genetic heritage makes some people more athletic than others. What color they are might matter to you and your weakly defended agenda, but it doesn’t matter to nature.

And since you’re trying to be a social justice hero (doing a poor job of it, btw) and trying to make people feel guilty, I’ll fall on the sword here and call you out. Everyone here may not like me but they also know I don’t give a F what anyone thinks about me. Am I racist by saying that Asians are generally shorter than Caucasians? Am I racist by saying more Swedish people are blondes? Am I racist by saying that black sprinters are faster? Because there is a wealth of data to support all of those points.

Instead of deflecting @PCHawk ‘s question, why don’t you give us an explanation as to why people with African descent are fewer in population, but make up the vast majority of the best professional athletes in sports that require the highest level of pure athletic ability such as the NBA, NFL, elite sprinting, long-distance running, etc?

Why the last 9 out of 10 marathon record holders, going back to the 80s, is someone of African descent.

I get what you’re saying about racism, but it’s not deniable that genetic heritage makes some people more athletic than others. What color they are might matter to you and your weakly defended agenda, but it doesn’t matter to nature.

And since you’re trying to be a social justice hero (doing a poor job of it, btw) and trying to make people feel guilty, I’ll fall on the sword here and call you out. Everyone here may not like me but they also know I don’t give a F what anyone thinks about me. Am I racist by saying that Asians are generally shorter than Caucasians? Am I racist by saying more Swedish people are blondes? Am I racist by saying that black sprinters are faster? Because there is a wealth of data to support all of those points.
If you are fine being casually racist, I'm fine with it. A lot of people are. Admitting it is part of the solution and being aware of the problem doesn't resolve it but is beneficial. I'm the furthest thing from an SJW you could possibly find. Do some reading if you care to be informed. If you don't that's fine too. I don't need to spoon feed you well supported modern realizations on race when you are clearly primed to reject them with no real consideration.

This entire post is racist. I'm sorry you don't think it is, but it is. Jimmy the Greek went down this path and it cost him his job because... its racist. It is 100% racist. It really doesn't matter what your "opinion" is. You don't get to redefine racism because you are saying racist things but don't "consider yourself a racist."

It's also racist because of the historical context of race discrimination. Historically, hand in hand with the idea that blacks are better at sports there is an underlying (and sometimes explicit) message that they are more beastial and animalistic. Also there is a historical context that conversely, blacks are intellectually inferior which still persists today when you see so few black head coaches, owners etc. You can't ignore these historical contexts.

If you are fine being casually racist, I'm fine with it. A lot of people are. Admitting it is part of the solution and being aware of the problem doesn't resolve it but is beneficial.
Still deflecting. Sooooo....you're not going to answer my questions?

Just so we're clear on that...

You're as bad as Jerry Falwell, believing in fairy tales with nothing to support his position other than deflection and spitting in the face of data.

Couple comments. 1: we live in a world today where some people think some “men” have a uterus, so arguing scientific differences with some will get nowhere.

2: I was at my sons indoor soccer game the other week. He plays in a league that is 90% Hispanic in Des Moines. I stood along a wall with parents of kids on the other team (Hispanic) and I felt like Mark Eaton.

Couple comments. 1: we live in a world today where some people think some “men” have a uterus, so arguing scientific differences with some will get nowhere.

2: I was at my sons indoor soccer game the other week. He plays in a league that is 90% Hispanic in Des Moines. I stood along a wall with parents of kids on the other team (Hispanic) and I felt like Mark Eaton.
Even more mind blowing, what would Mark Eaton have felt like?

If you think Joe Wieskamp is a mid-major talent, you have very questionable judgment when it comes to evaluating basketball players.

We’ll see when they put on the Black and Gold and go up against the likes of Michigan or Sparty or Purdue. Fran has landed other Mr. Basketballs and they’ve been good but not great.

Fran needs difference makers, players who can run the fast break, drive to the rim, stop penetration in the lane, disrupt the attack, not be afraid to jump out to the perimeter or bang down low.

Based on their highlight videos, I’m not convinced these guys are that.

We shall see.