Fran told to cool it

I do a little mental test on behavior by asking myself whether I would have been bothered/upset by the same behavior from an opposing coach.

Fran's general passionate demeanor? It's ok from another coach.

Chair throwing? I (and most of this board) would have lots to say negatively if an opposing coach did it.

You're kidding, right? Imagine the tables were turned and Iowa was beating MSU by thirty.

Izzo throws a tirade and slams a chair to the court? I would be chuckling more than when I saw Fran do it.

I love his passion for the game and his players. I don't see Fran changing the passion one bit, but I bet he doesn't slam another chair anytime soon.

You're kidding, right? Imagine the tables were turned and Iowa was beating MSU by thirty.

Izzo throws a tirade and slams a chair to the court? I would be chuckling more than when I saw Fran do it.
BS If another coach acted like Fran our fans would be all over him.

As far what Delaney said, i don't think it's too much to ask a coach not to slam a chair on the floor.

Pretty much all of OK4P's posts have more substance than your 2 most recent posts. If you cant take that there might be some sarcasm in his posts and still pick out the point he is trying to make than its your own fault.

Please feel free to point out that magical point the troll was making.

Lute and Alford both headed for greener pastures - don't you have some concern Fran will do the same? I merely pointed out that if Fran leaves, it won't be Delany and his goons who run him out, it will be a more prestigious program begging and paying very well for his services.

Lute left do to the Fishbowl.

Alford left because he knew he was going to be thrown off a cliff but spotted a nice landing spot before that happened.

I thought Alford was a once in a generation kind of coach and we wouldn't see another guy with his talent level in IC for another 20 or 30 years, but Fran is proving me wrong. My biggest fear is that Fran will get this ship turned around and move on to a more prestigious, higher paying gig in a few years anyway, similar to what Alford did. Delany is the least of my concerns right now.

Please feel free to point out that magical point the troll was making.

That Fran will move onto a higher profile job if/when he gets things turned around here. Yeah the Alford comparisons probably arent needed in the post but its not that hard to see that OK has a point.

That Fran will move onto a higher profile job if/when he gets things turned around here. Yeah the Alford comparisons probably arent needed in the post but its not that hard to see that OK has a point.

That gives us something to work with. If this really was his point he has a crappy way of making it.

But still a pipe dream at this point, we can only hope this happens as this means Iowa basketball has at least gotten back to the NCAA Tournament.

If Fran is able to accomplish this he can pretty much write his own paycheck as Fran will be to Iowa basketball what Fry was to Football. It will take a few years for that "fishbowl" effect to come back and for the fan base to forget this stretch and raise the bar of expectations.

Come on OK4P you know there is nothing green in New Mexico. Alf skedaddled to keep from being canned.

Maybe that was his point. New Mexico was 'greener' in the category of job security. Obviously he was given an ultimatum, get to the big dance in the next year or you're out. He wasn't confident that he could do that so he hit the road before he lost his job. Hard to fault him for that. I wouldn't call New Mexico a better job than Iowa in terms of pay, exposure, fanbase, etc. but for Alford, it was a better option than sticking around at Iowa.

Maybe that was his point. New Mexico was 'greener' in the category of job security. Obviously he was given an ultimatum, get to the big dance in the next year or you're out. He wasn't confident that he could do that so he hit the road before he lost his job. Hard to fault him for that. I wouldn't call New Mexico a better job than Iowa in terms of pay, exposure, fanbase, etc. but for Alford, it was a better option than sticking around at Iowa.

New Mexico is a weird ****in state. It was/is perfect for that slimeball.

A perfunctory CYA memo by Delany. No big deal. But I agree that Fran is smart enough to not go the chair route again anytime soon. But he will act out,and get technicals,cus that is how he rolls,and I like it.

My retort to Delany is that when the BTN starts treating Iowa bb as anything but the red-headed stepchild of the league,then Fran will ''cool it''. Take this weekends game vs Michigan for example.....it is played at noon, with the MSU-NW game at 2. So,then later that nite,they show a replay of the OSU-IU game in the prime slot, then at 11, they show the MSU-NW game again. Finally,they deign to show the Iowa-Michigan game at 3 in the morning, only to show the MSU-NW game again at 7 oclock Sunday morning. Normally they show replays in order,ie. the first game is the one replayed first,then the second game. The 11 oclock and 7 oclock time slots are when humans are awake,and they show the MSU-NW game in both slots,and bury the Hawks-Michigan at 3 in the morning. It is typical backhanded treatment of Iowa bb from the BTN,all the time,all season. Who had the least non-conference games on BTN? Iowa. Whose games do not even get replayed,league games? Iowa.
If I was Barta,I would simply reply to Delany that it was surprising and exciting to discover that Delany and the Big Ten now seem to know that Iowa bb even exists,and that they might consider that fact into their programming in the future.

Lute and Alford both headed for greener pastures - don't you have some concern Fran will do the same? I merely pointed out that if Fran leaves, it won't be Delany and his goons who run him out, it will be a more prestigious program begging and paying very well for his services.

Lute? Is he the guy that coached us to our last Big 10 championship a mere 32 years ago.

Okeefe saying Alford left for greener pastures and a higher payday just shows how much credibility his posts have.

0 for 2

A perfunctory CYA memo by Delany. No big deal. But I agree that Fran is smart enough to not go the chair route again anytime soon. But he will act out,and get technicals,cus that is how he rolls,and I like it.

My retort to Delany is that when the BTN starts treating Iowa bb as anything but the red-headed stepchild of the league,then Fran will ''cool it''. Take this weekends game vs Michigan for example.....it is played at noon, with the MSU-NW game at 2. So,then later that nite,they show a replay of the OSU-IU game in the prime slot, then at 11, they show the MSU-NW game again. Finally,they deign to show the Iowa-Michigan game at 3 in the morning, only to show the MSU-NW game again at 7 oclock Sunday morning. Normally they show replays in order,ie. the first game is the one replayed first,then the second game. The 11 oclock and 7 oclock time slots are when humans are awake,and they show the MSU-NW game in both slots,and bury the Hawks-Michigan at 3 in the morning. It is typical backhanded treatment of Iowa bb from the BTN,all the time,all season. Who had the least non-conference games on BTN? Iowa. Whose games do not even get replayed,league games? Iowa.
If I was Barta,I would simply reply to Delany that it was surprising and exciting to discover that Delany and the Big Ten now seem to know that Iowa bb even exists,and that they might consider that fact into their programming in the future.

This+

If he started working at McDonalds he would have had more job security. He had none. He was literally dead man walking.

Alford got a raise when he went to New Mexico. In addition, Iowa's facilities were an absolute joke at the time Alford was here and they are now just coming up to snuff with what B10 caliber recruits are seeing on other B10 campuses (other than Northwestern). I think Tanya likes the winters down there, as well.

Lute? Is he the guy that coached us to our last Big 10 championship a mere 32 years ago.

Alford won two. Mr. Davis and Lick, zero. Pretty crazy that with all that talent Raveling left, Mr. Davis couldn't win a B10 title. It's like he was Bruce Weber, but not quite as good.

Latest posts