Fran told to cool it

So you aren't concerned with Fran being a target for a Duke/UNC/KU level program once he brings Iowa basketball fully back?

Not in the least. I think KU is set for quite a while and
Duke/UNC have such impressive family trees that the job
will almost require you to be an alumni or previous ***'t
there. No one from the outside is just going to waltz into
any of those jobs.

Not in the least. I think KU is set for quite a while and
Duke/UNC have such impressive family trees that the job
will almost require you to be an alumni or previous ***'t
there. No one from the outside is just going to waltz into
any of those jobs.

Apparently you can't abbreviate the word assistant on this forum... lol

Here is a snippet from a contemporary article about Alf's flight to UNM.

With football reigning as the most popular sport at Iowa, sources said Alford was looking for a school that is passionate about basketball first. Krebs has pledged to make the Lobos nationally prominent, bumping up the coach's salary more than $500,000 in an attempt to get it closer to Alford's nearly $1 million annual salary at Iowa.

Sounds like they where not quite able to match his Iowa salary, just as I recalled.

North Mexico, all things considered, was a better job at the time Alford left. Iowa crippled the guy with ultimatums and refusals to extend that would have hobbled recruiting

If NM was a better job than Iowa at the time Alford went there, that is because Alford took Iowa Basketball down a notch. Iowa was a better job when Alford took over in '99 than it was at the time he left.

And Alford's recruiting was picking up by the time he left. Lack of extensions did not hamper Alford's recruiting at all. If memory serves, Alford still had 3-4 years left on his contract at the time he left. He got plenty of extensions.

Here is a snippet from a contemporary article about Alf's flight to UNM.

Sounds like they where not quite able to match his Iowa salary, just as I recalled.

Yes, "nearly 1 million" - it was $950k and he went to $975k at NM. I know it is painful to say it, but at that moment in time, the NM job was better than the Iowa job. We are just now seeing capital expenditures that Alford wanted like a decade ago. Hell, the Pit has a higher capacity than Carver.

Here is a quote from an article about Alfs salary while at Iowa.

Last year Alford earned an estimated $1.15 million, putting him in the top tier of Big Ten coaches, Bowlsby said.

Sorry OK4P, You wrong.

And Carver could increase their capacity if they installed bleacher seating like they have at the pit. No thanks, I get enough prole overflow into my lap at Kinnick.

Last edited:
If NM was a better job than Iowa at the time Alford went there, that is because Alford took Iowa Basketball down a notch. Iowa was a better job when Alford took over than it was at the time he left.

And Alford's recruiting was picking up by the time he left. Lack of extensions did not hamper Alford's recruiting at all. If memory serves, Alford still had 3-4 years left on his contract at the time he left. He got plenty of extensions.

Other coaches were negative recruiting and Steve's impending departure was one of their tools. Another was the lack of a dedicated practice facility which left the basketball team scrambling to find practice times that worked with the volleyball team and other crap. We missed guys in his last class and then Lick running everybody sure as hell didn't help the program.

That's true. And Alford knows that all too well, after all without B10 tournament upsets, he may have only got us to the NCAA's one time.

Correct - 2 of those 3 appearances would not have happend w/out the B10 Tournament.

2006 was the only year (out of 8) where Iowa was an NCAA lock. And even that year, Iowa managed to lose two games to bottom feeders (@NW and @Minny) that cost us the Big 10 title. And no, that team did NOT win the Big Ten that year. They won the Big Ten TOURNAMENT.

Alf's teams had a knack for being upset by teams they had no business losing to.

Other coaches were negative recruiting and Steve's impending departure was one of their tools. Another was the lack of a dedicated practice facility which left the basketball team scrambling to find practice times that worked with the volleyball team and other crap. We missed guys in his last class and then Lick running everybody sure as hell didn't help the program.

If other coaches were using Steve's impending departure as a negative recruiting tool, it had to have been regarding the possibility he would be fired soon. I know for a fact there was a lot of discussion about whether Iowa could afford Stevie's buyout if he was fired, since he had several years left on his contract.

You are correct about the facilities being garbage, and Lick's player retention issues.

And the $975 at UNM was his maxed out potential.

Your numbers also do not agree with this article from the gazette.

As part of the extension will be a Lobo until 2020. His salary will increase by $145,000. This year he will pocket more than $1.1 million.

If his salary was increased to 1.1 million in 2010, he would only have been making $955 in 2009.

Last edited:
If other coaches were using Steve's impending departure as a negative recruiting tool, it had to have been regarding the possibility he would be fired soon. I know for a fact there was a lot of discussion about whether Iowa could afford Stevie's buyout if he was fired, since he had several years left on his contract.

You are correct about the facilities being garbage, and Lick's player retention issues.

Steve got hurt a few years earlier by the Indiana rumors, too. But I guess I can count you as a guy who doesn't think the Indiana job would carry more prestige than the Iowa job.

Oh man, this stings. The Steve Alford Inn has a giant Lobos sneaker in front of it now:

115-1575_IMG.gif

Slow media day if they keep bringing up this chair incident.

Fran was brought here to change the culture of the program. I am totally supportive of his approach and if it means a chair slam or a T every once in awhile, then I am all for it.

Media- move on to some other more storyline more worthy of your time. Our team is improving with a coach that we should be thankful for. You irritating things with a dumb, worthless story does not help. We need to recruit better players and you beating this storyline to death certainly does not help. Move on!

The great Tom Davis's awesome NCAA tourney performance with a 5 seed:

you might want to check that.That wasn't Mr. Davis's team. That was Keno. Also, Drake got screwed with their draw, they were the highest ranked 5 seed playing the strongest by far 12 seed. Also, that 12 seed went to the sweet 16.

How much do you suppose they pay steve for the use of his name at that dump? Is that figured into your inflated $975 number?

Yeah, you're right, Tom would have never gotten them to a 5 seed. Point is, sometimes there are upsets in the Tournament. That's basketball.

Yeah, well, he did get Iowa to a #2, 2 #4's and 2 #5 seeds. Which is really all that matters if you're talking about Iowa coaches.

Latest posts