Fran told to cool it

I dont have any problem with this, as someone else said it is a CYA move by delaney. Fran has been.warned by conference now. He is smart enough (i hope) not to do something like slamming a chair again.

And people that say if Izzo threw a chair they wouldnt care...BS. There would be no fewer than 25 posts stating how out of control he is and he is a lunatic. Much like mike stoops, and bill lynch used to get on fball board.

Couple of thngs from this that catches your attention.

First, as many on here have said, if you are going to send a message like this, you have to know it will be questioned as to why other coaches haven't been told to simmer down in the past. Bo Ryan cursing the refs out on TV would seem to be worse than a coach slamming a chair down.

Also, why make this so public? It's always best to discipline in private and praise in public. Just makes you wonder why make this so public. Because as I said above, it's going to get picked apart and analyzed as to whether it is fair or not. Just seems like it would be something you would do, but not let it get out there.

I don't know whether Fran should have slammed the chair or not. Probably shouldn't have, but I'm sure Big Jim telling him to cool it isn't going to affect him that much.

Last edited:
Funny dude.

Guess you didn't watch Iowa basketball in 2001 or 2006. Oh, let me guess, you're going to declare 7-1 regular season Michigan State the 2011 Big Ten football champions, too, right? Guess that 'splains how Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl.

the commisioner needs to get on the refs as well, for the way they call games so one sided
the Wiscy vs Nebby is a prime example 20ft to 2 Advantage Wiscy, Nebby didn't shoot them until there was 5:15 left in the game then never shot another and they called 5 fouls on Wiscy in the 2nd half, no team is that good
as for Fran he should tell Delany where to get off.
we have a coach who is not going to let this team be pushed around by the ref's

exactly i thought it was most lopsided job done by referees jim delaney needed to look into that as well as tom izzo because he acted like he knew referees would give him advantages to win games . lets wait until big ten tournament and see if we could play msu again. i bet we`ll give them some beat down in game

Alford got a raise when he went to New Mexico. In addition, Iowa's facilities were an absolute joke at the time Alford was here and they are now just coming up to snuff with what B10 caliber recruits are seeing on other B10 campuses (other than Northwestern). I think Tanya likes the winters down there, as well.

If he would have been the coach a lot of people thought he was going to be he would have gotten that upgrade. You aren't going to if you split the fanbase apart.

Guess you didn't watch Iowa basketball in 2001 or 2006. Oh, let me guess, you're going to declare 7-1 regular season Michigan State the 2011 Big Ten football champions, too, right? Guess that 'splains how Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl.

Wow at first I thought you were just being sarcastic, but now I realize you are mentally challenged or drunk/high.
All BB teams get to play in BIG conf tourney. Only division champs get to play in BIG FB champ game. Do you see the difference here? One requires a successful season, the other does not.

Alford won two. Mr. Davis and Lick, zero. Pretty crazy that with all that talent Raveling left, Mr. Davis couldn't win a B10 title. It's like he was Bruce Weber, but not quite as good.

Watching Iowa win the Big Ten Tournament was fun but watching Mr. Davis lead Iowa past the first round of the NCAA Tournament with Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 appearance was even more fun.

Wow at first I thought you were just being sarcastic, but now I realize you are mentally challenged or drunk/high.
All BB teams get to play in BIG conf tourney. Only division champs get to play in BIG FB champ game. Do you see the difference here? One requires a successful season, the other does not.

Winning the B10 tournament provides the only guaranteed path for a B10 team (that is not on probation) to make the tourney. When push came to shove and it was go time, Alford's teams were ready. You can go 0-30 and still make the tourney if you win the B10 tournament, so to discount success there because "everybody makes it" is absurd.

How many times did Steve make it to the 2nd round of NCAA tourney? How many times did he make to the NCAA tourney period?

How many times did Steve make it to the 2nd round of NCAA tourney? How many times did he make to the NCAA tourney period?

Look, can you guys just cool the Alford talk? I just used Alford as an example that when we have good coaches, other programs will go after them and how that if Fran leaves, it is going to be because another team comes calling, not because Delany sends him snarky letters.

OK4P's basketball trolling is nowhere near the level of his football trolling skills.

Why do you think I'm trolling? Going back to the old JD Miller site, I was in the vast minority of Alford supporters. I think Alford was too immature when we hired him, but I thought he started coming into his own. He had issues with getting guys qualified and keeping them in the program (sounds kind of like Kurt), but I thought (and still think) the trajectory of Iowa basketball would have been far better if we had kept him. Losing his recruiting class hurt us pretty bad and Lick was an unmitigated disaster. I am now 100% behind Fran.

Why do you think I'm trolling? Going back to the old JD Miller site, I was in the vast minority of Alford supporters. I think Alford was too immature when we hired him, but I thought he started coming into his own. He had issues with getting guys qualified and keeping them in the program (sounds kind of like Kurt), but I thought (and still think) the trajectory of Iowa basketball would have been far better if we had kept him. Losing his recruiting class hurt us pretty bad and Lick was an unmitigated disaster. I am now 100% behind Fran.

I'm in the minority that thought Alford had become a very, very good coach by the time he left. He did a terrific coaching job in his last year here, leading the Smith-Haluska team to 4th place in the B10. But the fanbase had become too fractured by that point, and there was no way it was going to come back together while he was still the coach.

But to say it Alford was a once in a generation coaching talent and claiming he left for a "better job" in New Mexico is the definition of trolling, plus anyone that reads this site regularly knows exactly what your shtick is.

I can just see how this conversation went down between Barta and Fran:

GB(sticking head in Fran's open office door and knocking), "Hey coach, you got a minute?"
Fran, "I'm a little busy preparing for Purdue."
GB, "This will just ttttake(voice shaking) a minute."
Fran(looks at watch), "What's up?"
GB, "Ummmm just got a call from the higher ups in the B1G and they were wondering....how do I put this(nervous laughter)...they want me to ask you to tone it down a bit."

30 seconds of uncomfortable silence

Fran, "we done here?"
GB, "Yep, great win on Saturday coach."
Fran(pointing at empty coffee cup), "You want to pitch that in the trash on your way out?"

BS If another coach acted like Fran our fans would be all over him.

As far what Delaney said, i don't think it's too much to ask a coach not to slam a chair on the floor.

You are exactly right, but it is nice to have threads like this so the "special" people can identify themselves.

Latest posts