Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I'm hoping for some kind of college football season, even if abbreviated with no fans in the stands.
my gut feeling is the warm summer weather will knock this virus out for now. Football practice will start in August and it will be hot and humid. What worries me is come mid/late October when the weather turns cold and the flu/cold season kicks in so will the Coronvirus once again and we probably won't have a vaccine by then, and that would end the football season for high school, college and NFL mid way through the football season. I think it will be either we don't have a football season at all or they will get in a half season. I would be shocked if a full football season played if there is no vaccine. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Updated state map

April2_map.png

my gut feeling is the warm summer weather will knock this virus out for now.

I worry how social isolation will go when cold weather cities start getting warm again.

For Chicago in the summer, city really comes alive. Those Florida beaches will look like a ghost town, versus the beaches here on the first hot summer day.

My friend did test positive. Been sick 2.5 weeks now. Saw him couple of days ago...from 70 feet. Looked like hell. Lost noticable weight. Been at home. Fever up and down but 102,5 common w higher spikes. No fever now. Wife is sick... Not as bad. Didn't test her.

I saw a story days ago that California was sent broken ventilators, but were able to fix them within a day.

Might not be a one off thing.

Most of the 100,000 ventilators that President Donald Trump promised the U.S. would obtain won't be available until June, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials told the House Oversight Committee this week.

If what the World Health Organization says is true then masks are unnecessary.

Full report here: https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

QUOTE]

I am pretty sure you may be mis-representing what that document says about Airborne spread vs close contact with infected people, infector and infectee. There is airborne spread when something in the air just keeps riding the air currents. But what you showed does say that infected people spew little droplets while they breathe and talk so a sick person should be wearing a very good mask and experts are now saying wearing a good mask can help non infected people.

Whether it is microscopic ash from a volcano, soot from large fires or smokestacks, or other very small aerosols they can hang and spread in the air for many miles. And who knows maybe this is what this report is saying that the virus in and by itself does not just float around in the air and atmosphere for long periods of time.

But I will keep looking for the exact definition of how this spreads.

But if you are at the store and people walk by you they are breathing and even that releases these very small droplets of water or water vapor from lungs.

My wife is making masks with cloth on the outside that hold a piece of HEPA filter material between them and the HePA material traps objects down to .3 microns. I have a blue hospital mask from having a preventive check procedure about 3 weeks ago when this was just heating up and the office made everyone wear a mask. I am still wearing it when I go to the store.

I would think buying a Hepa furnace filter and cutting it up and putting the hepa filter material on the outside of a drywall mask would be better than nothing when you make those necessary runs to the store, doctor, pharmacy, or if you have to work, or a run to get some beer/bourbon, etc

Going back to college football, any of you think that maybe they play a shortened season? Maybe dump non conference games and just have a shorter season with conference match up's only? Maybe start the season earlier in August? Have a shortened season of August/September only and conference title games the first or second Saturday in October, maybe? At least we get some football games. Might have to bite the bullet and no bowl games and BCS games in the winter time. If we can only have a season with a shorter schedule and only conference games, I can live with that for one year.

Am wondering if this will happen with major league baseball? Play a shorter season June, July & August then have the playoffs / World Series in September and ends in early October before the cold/flu season kicks in?

Last edited:
I understand you all will miss my services if HN goes down. My team is working on a contingency plan in order to provide updates and uninterrupted love advice. My services couldn't be any more important than in these dire times.
How do I block you? (JK :))....

Going back to college football, any of you think that maybe they play a shortened season? Maybe dump non conference games and just have a shorter season with conference match up's only? Maybe start the season earlier in August? Have a shortened season of August/September only and conference title games the first or second Saturday in October, maybe? At least we get some football games. Might have to bite the bullet and no bowl games and BCS games in the winter time. If we can only have a season with a shorter schedule and only conference games, I can live with that for one year.

Am wondering if this will happen with major league baseball? Play a shorter season June, July & August then have the playoffs / World Series in September and ends in early October before the cold/flu season kicks in?
If they have anything, MLB, NFL, college football, etc.....it'll be with greatly shortened seasons. No spectators, no bowl games, no playoffs. But that's a big if.

If what the World Health Organization says is true then masks are unnecessary.

Full report here: https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

A fomite is listed below so I suppose rubbing your fingers across your nose and getting virus on skin cells that can come off could pass the virus to a person through shaking hands or via being put on surfaces.

Fomite - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomite
A fomite (/ ˈ f oʊ m aɪ t /) or fomes (pronounced / ˈ f oʊ m iː z /) is any inanimate object that, when contaminated with or exposed to infectious agents (such as pathogenic bacteria, viruses or fungi), can transfer disease to a new host. For humans, skin cells, hair, clothing, and bedding are common hospital fomites.

From NIH https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/ below seems the droplets for normal exhaling/breathing are greater than 5 micrometers or 5 microns which is that greek letter preceding the 'm' for meter. And it says those droplets only go about one meter outside the host body so about 3-4 feet. Those Hepa filters as I said are said to filter down to .3 microns which is even smaller

Currently, the term droplet is often taken to refer to droplets >5 μm in diameter that fall rapidly to the ground under gravity, and therefore are transmitted only over a limited distance (e.g. ≤1 m). In contrast, the term droplet nuclei refers to droplets ≤5 μm in diameter that can remain suspended in air for significant periods of time, allowing them to be transmitted over distances >1 m (Stetzenbach, Buttner & Cruz, 2004; Wong & Leung, 2004).

Now, sneezing and coughing can go much farther. Below is from a US News and World Report article quoting MIT.

In a cough or sneeze, though, they can fly from five to 200 times farther, according to research out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. And that’s why it’s important to cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when you do so – and to stay as far away as possible from others who are visibly sick.

My friend did test positive. Been sick 2.5 weeks now. Saw him couple of days ago...from 70 feet. Looked like hell. Lost noticable weight. Been at home. Fever up and down but 102,5 common w higher spikes. No fever now. Wife is sick... Not as bad. Didn't test her.

So are they just presuming the wife has it as well? Good luck to them both.

If they have anything, MLB, NFL, college football, etc.....it'll be with greatly shortened seasons. No spectators, no bowl games, no playoffs. But that's a big if.

Serious question though, how are these sports teams being pro or college going to be able to afford to play games without fans and $$$ coming in? Are they willing to take on the overhead of playing games without having a revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts