Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump's job isn't to throw out optimistic predictions.

It is to direct the federal response. Because it is the efforts of hospitals and governments that will determine what that percentages will be.

Part of me agrees with this but the other part thinks the country needs optimism too.

Pretty early for exclamation points. One thing they do know fairly well is how long it's been here. They are off a month at most on that one. They also know with extreme certainty the minimum number of people who have it. If you just use the minimum number (we all know its WAY higher) compared to how long it's been here (first case in US 2 months ago and first case ever 3 months ago) it shows without a doubt that this virus spreads like crazy.

Have you read about how bad it's getting in New York? The hospitals there are going to be just as bad as Italy. It's still not known exactly how bad this will end up, but literally every single government is going to extreme measures to stop it. At some point, when you disagree with every expert on something, you have to start questioning if you're wrong. I assume you are a guy who is sick of hearing about this stuff so you don't even pay attention to it. Am I right?

I don’t question every aspect of this and don’t have problem hearing about it. I do have an issue with the knee jerk reactions by posters who haven’t got a clue like most of us that spread even more fear and that’s exactly what you’ve been doing a lot of. So when you claim 500,000 Americans will die from this in the US alone, looking at the numbers of where we are at today and around the country that is very hard to believe PC.

Part of me agrees with this but the other part thinks the country needs optimism too.

Sure, optimism, but not at the expense of not taking things seriously.

Because not taking things seriously will cost lives.

Not necessarily directing this at anyone. You might be taking it 100% serious. But someone who isn't, might read your optimism as maybe a reason not to be serious.

So when you claim 500,000 Americans will die from this in the US alone, looking at the numbers of where we are at today and around the country that is very hard to believe PC.

I mean, isn't this just math?

The virus got from Wuhan, through a lock down, to NY, CA, IL, FL, etc. You don't think this is going to get everywhere?

What percentage of the population would need to be exposed before we achieve herd immunization? 60% at least from what I understand. That would be more than 1 or 2 million at a less than 1% mortality rate.

The reason the UK changed course it because it was so clear their health care system would be overwhelmed with that approach. And when preventable deaths aren't prevented, the rate goes a lot higher than 1%.

So otherwise we are on a lock down/self isolation policy for the next 12-18 months. And Trump is thinking of telling people to end it come Easter.

I wonder why the Iowa Dept of Health isn't releasing seasonal flu numbers with that. Browsing through their stats from 2019, it appears that there are hundreds currently hospitalized with the flu at any given time.

I don’t question every aspect of this and don’t have problem hearing about it. I do have an issue with the knee jerk reactions by posters who haven’t got a clue like most of us that spread even more fear and that’s exactly what you’ve been doing a lot of. So when you claim 500,000 Americans will die from this in the US alone, looking at the numbers of where we are at today and around the country that is very hard to believe PC.

There is now 2 months worth of clues out there for the US. Are you following the graph that compares us to Italy? We are 2 weeks behind in the timeline and we are following the same path. Can you give me one example of a possibility on how it won't be as bad here? Spain is also in the same boat as us. If they have hit their max death per capital (which they may or may not have) it equals to close to 4000 deaths per day for us at its peak. If it even is the peak. I can see the "not enough data" arguement a couple weeks ago. But the more time that goes by, the worse that arguement becomes.

I wonder why the Iowa Dept of Health isn't releasing seasonal flu numbers with that. Browsing through their stats from 2019, it appears that there are hundreds currently hospitalized with the flu at any given time.

Because the seasonal flu doesn't overwhelm our hospitals if it is allowed to just spread.

Have you seen the ER lines in NY?

Do you think Italy had a bad case of the seasonal flu?

Sure, optimism, but not at the expense of not taking things seriously.

Because not taking things seriously will cost lives.

Not necessarily directing this at anyone. You might be taking it 100% serious. But someone who isn't, might read your optimism as maybe a reason not to be serious.

Valid point. It's funny how in consecutive posts, one person says to not be negative and the other says to not be positive.

I mean, isn't this just math?

The virus got from Wuhan, through a lock down, to NY, CA, IL, FL, etc. You don't think this is going to get everywhere?

What percentage of the population would need to be exposed before we achieve herd immunization? 60% at least from what I understand. That would be more than 1 or 2 million at a less than 1% mortality rate.

The reason the UK changed course it because it was so clear their health care system would be overwhelmed with that approach. And when preventable deaths aren't prevented, the rate goes a lot higher than 1%.

So otherwise we are on a lock down/self isolation policy for the next 12-18 months. And Trump is thinking of telling people to end it come Easter.

Even if you suck at math, it's still easy to understand that 2 months ago there were 0 people and every week it's gone up drastically. If you want to eliminate the unknown of how many actually have it, you can look at the known of how many are trying to get into hospitals. You can say the number is rising because we are doing more tests. But a month ago there wasn't thousands of people waiting in line sick enough to want to get tested.

There is now 2 months worth of clues out there for the US. Are you following the graph that compares us to Italy? We are 2 weeks behind in the timeline and we are following the same path. Can you give me one example of a possibility on how it won't be as bad here? Spain is also in the same boat as us. If they have hit their max death per capital (which they may or may not have) it equals to close to 4000 deaths per day for us at its peak. If it even is the peak. I can see the "not enough data" arguement a couple weeks ago. But the more time that goes by, the worse that arguement becomes.

Are you following it?? FYI I Stopped reading after you said have you seen the graph that compares us to Italy?

Is China on its way to 500,000 deaths? How soon Until they get there PC?

Because the seasonal flu doesn't overwhelm our hospitals if it is allowed to just spread.

Have you seen the ER lines in NY?

Do you think Italy had a bad case of the seasonal flu?

Doesn't matter if the seasonal flu overwhelms the hospitals or not, it is an infectious disease that is required by law to be reported.

Did you know that RTI. And some of you think this is some new phenomenon. People of Age and with underlying problems should know the fear of RTI. That is why Italy is getting completely hammered in deaths by this in comparison to others.

In the United States alone, lower respiratory tract infections account for ∼85,000 deaths each year (3.2% of all deaths) and constitute the leading infectious cause of death.

From 1980 through 2014, more than 4.6 million Americans died from a range of chronic respiratory illnesses, the researchers reported. While the risk was pegged at 41 deaths for every 100,000 people back in 1980, it rose to nearly 53 out of every 100,000 by 2014, representing a nearly 31 percent spike over 35 years.Sep 29, 2017

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts