Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every day is going to get way bigger for the next 7 days at least.
Iowa has held its own to this point. Chicago too. It's New York that's getting killed.

Chicago, thanks for better or worse to Pritzker and mayor Lightfoot, hunkered down early. If they don't overwhelm medical centers they will have fewer casualties than during the 1995 heat wave.

Iowa has held its own to this point. Chicago too. It's New York that's getting killed.

Chicago, thanks for better or worse to Pritzker and mayor Lightfoot, hunkered down early. If they don't overwhelm medical centers they will have fewer casualties than during the 1995 heat wave.

Iowa is always going to be behind the coasts. It won't get it as bad as New York because we aren't as compact. But its gunna keep spreading until most people have had it or until there is a vaccine.

I'll be shocked if the US doesn't have at least one 1000 death day. If I had to guess, I'd say we will be over 1000 a day for a week straight.

You would be wrong based on what I know locally and not reported.

They aren't testing. They sending people home they never would otherwise

Last edited:
Iowa is always going to be behind the coasts. It won't get it as bad as New York because we aren't as compact. But its gunna keep spreading until most people have had it or until there is a vaccine.
Most people as in nationally?

You're talking about 200-250 million cases then, and around 3 million deaths (actually closer to 20,25, or even 50 million because medical facilities would truly be overwhelmed).

That would be right up there with the Bubonic Plague.

"WASHINGTON — FEMA announced that federal emergency aid has been made available for the state of Iowa to supplement state, tribal and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by the COVID-19 pandemic beginning on January 20, 2020, and continuing.

The President's action makes federal funding available to state, tribal and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency protective measures (Category B), including direct federal assistance under Public Assistance, for all areas affected by COVID-19, at a federal cost share of 75 percent."

Why do you think only a million will get infected? If the numbers already out tell us anything we can all agree on is this virus is extremely contagious. We are only a couple months in from the number 0 to what we have now. I'm confused how your math gets to that. Those numbers are soooooo much lower than numbers that would give the world even a tiny scare.

This virus is different in a couple ways which makes it extraordinarily contagious and unprecedented. This virus has such an active life cycle when living on surfaces or even in the air. It apparently can live 3hrs in the air, like 4 hours on copper, 24 hrs on cardboard and up to 3-4 days on plastic and stainless steel.

When you add into that, that people can have the virus symptom-free for 1-2 weeks, while going around and touching all the surfaces and sneezing, it is a recipe for a disaster. This is why it spreads so rampant. Just a nasty virus to try to contain.

Many have stated that what we need is heat. I'll take anything at this point or any kind of hope, but, this virus is so weird that there is no given that heat will kill it off like other "more typical" viruses. I think it has proven to spread in pretty hot climates in a couple countries. Whose to say this virus can't tolerate the heat? This seems to be a rather rugged and robust virus. Hopefully the heat can knock it down, though.

Addendum: Well, this is at least promising. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/warm-weather-coronavirus.html

Last edited:
Most people as in nationally?

You're talking about 200-250 million cases then, and around 3 million deaths (actually closer to 20,25, or even 50 million because medical facilities would truly be overwhelmed).

That would be right up there with the Bubonic Plague.

With how fast it is spreading, I just don't see how it's going to stop. Especially if we just kept on like normal. All I know is there used to be a handful in the US. Then there were hundreds. Then there were thousands. Now there are 10s of thousands. It's a lot easier for 10000 people to mass spread a virus that hundreds. So how can it stop?

It might not end up as bad as the plague, but when every country in the world is shitting their pants, you have to assume it will be really bad. China is just now starting to come out of complete lockdown for 2 months.

Last edited:
This virus is different in a couple ways which makes it extraordinarily contagious and unprecedented. This virus has such an active life cycle when living on surfaces or even in the air. It apparently can live 3hrs in the air, like 4 hours on copper, 24 hrs on cardboard and up to 3-4 days on plastic and stainless steel.

When you add into that, that people can have the virus symptom-free for 1-2 weeks, while going around and touching all the surfaces and sneezing, it is a recipe for a disaster. This is why it spreads so rampant. Just a nasty virus to try to control.

Many have stated that what we need is heat. I'll take anything at this point or any kind of hope, but, this virus is so weird that there is no given that heat will kill it off like other "more typical" viruses. I think it has proven to spread in pretty hot climates in a couple countries. Whose to say this virus can't tolerate the heat. This seems to be a rather rugged and robust virus. Hopefully the heat can knock it down, though.

Yep. As fast as these numbers went from 1 to 60,000 gives me no reason to think its stopping before it gets most everyone.

Yep. As fast as these numbers went from 1 to 60,000 gives me no reason to think its stopping before it gets most everyone.

I mean people are thinking their safe hunkering down at home and periodically going out for a bit for necessities like to the grocery store or to get gas. Once this is a local epidemic, how many people have touched the boxes in the stores (takes one employee who stocks shelves) or the atm machine, bathroom door handle etc. then when to get gas the pump handle. I mean if a 100 people have used that gas pump in a day, chances of getting this virus are pretty good.

Wear nitrile gloves and toss them in the garbage after pumping gas people. I can stay away from people in public to not get coughed or sneezed on, it's the surfaces that concern me.

What's funny is when Trump said it was FDA approved, he meant it wasn't some new drug that might kill you later. It has been approved, it just hasn't been confirmed to help with COVID. Trump's point was this could move faster because they aren't starting from scratch.

I’m sorry I find that to be Just crazy talk PC.
I'm not sure why you think it's crazy talk. The math by now is fairly accurate. Unless something stops the spreading, that's what's going to happen. Now if these medications get approved and they really help, that changes everything. But with no medication, no vaccine, and no complete lockdown, what's going to stop the spread? If the numbers are fairly accurate on how many people have it (I doubt they are) then their death ratio is also accurate. If way more people have it already, that means they are wrong on the death rate but it's also way more contagious than they think, which means pretty much everyone gets it. Just out of curiosity, which part of their numbers do you think are so far off that it won't be bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts