Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly because the numbers in NYC are inflated due to CDC guidelines.

Well, that's not a fair comparison. One of those cities is an overcrowded shithole run by a corrupt group of politburos and the other is in Southeast Asia, where people have masks and exercise some level of personal responsibility when a pandemic breaks out.

University researchers find ‘no additional decline’ in coronavirus infection rate from lockdowns

https://www.thecollegefix.com/unive...in-coronavirus-infection-rate-from-lockdowns/

So the infection rate hasn't declined from lockdowns, but who's to say that the lockdowns didn't help prevent an exponential increase in the infection rate. I'm not looking to reopen the argument as to whether or not lockdowns should be in place, but simply questioning what things would be like if they weren't put in place. We know that mandatory lockdowns are a very controversial topic, but I think many of us would venture to say that despite no additional decline in infection rate some good may have come from them as well.

I'm willing to listen to any ideas about why spending less time around people doesn't help slow the spread of a virus that you contract by being around other people. Can anyone here think of any reason why the virus would spread equally as fast regardless of how little people interact with one another?

So the infection rate hasn't declined from lockdowns, but who's to say that the lockdowns didn't help prevent an exponential increase in the infection rate. I'm not looking to reopen the argument as to whether or not lockdowns should be in place, but simply questioning what things would be like if they weren't put in place. We know that mandatory lockdowns are a very controversial topic, but I think many of us would venture to say that despite no additional decline in infection rate some good may have come from them as well.

So that's the deal then? It hasn't declined or gone up? That doesn't mean shit either way then.

Wishful thinking PC the shelter in place Orders will only Make the fall look like another SHITSHOW!!
Remember tho, we had 60,000 deaths in one month WITH lockdowns in place. If that continues for 2 more months, over half of the country will have already had it and hopefully be immune.

I read an interesting article on CNN today with regard to the claim that flu infections and death rates are comparable to Covid 19. I won’t summarize, because I am not going to get into a back and forth. Read it if you are interested.

DOES SUNSHINE IMPACT THE COVID VIRUS?

We've been hearing from many public health experts and scientist that sunlight does indeed have an effect on killing viruses in a couple ways. First the UV rays from sunlight have a detrimental effect on virus cells on surfaces. Second, sunlight absorbed by our bodies produces huge amounts of vitamin D which has proven to increase our immune system along with other benefits to our cells and well being. I've been searching, but unable to find, any recent studies on how those living in "sunny states" would compare to those living in "cloudy states" in terms of COVID-19 deaths so I decided to to my own.

I used the source linked below to determine the top 10 "sunny states" which are AZ, NV, NM, WY, CA, UT, ID, GA, SD, FL (in descending order) based on the total average sunshine in the state. Using the same source, the top 10 most cloudy states are AK, NY, WA, OH, VT, OR, MI, WI, IN, NJ (also in descending order).

So here are the cumulative numbers as of noon today ...

Top 10 Sunny States:
Total COVID-19 Deaths = 5334
Total Population = 90.6 million
Total COVID-19 Deaths per million = 59

Top 10 Cloudy States:

Total COVID-19 Deaths = 38,528
Total Population = 75.8 million
Total COVID-19 Deaths per million = 508.6

As you can see from these cumulative totals, there have been approximately 8.6 times as many deaths per million in these cloudy states vs. the sunny states. Are there other factors? Sure, things like population density, use of public transportation, age of population, obesity rates, etc. would also have any impact on any population but you would think this is a large enough sample size (over 160 million people in these 20 states) that there must be some correlation between sunshine and avoiding the virus.

I can post or send anyone my spreadsheet with the numbers if interested. Below is my sunshine hours and COVID-19 death sources.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-state-sunshine.php

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited:

We've been hearing from many public health experts and scientist that sunlight does indeed have an effect on killing viruses in a couple ways. First the UV rays from sunlight have a detrimental effect on virus cells on surfaces. Second, sunlight absorbed by our bodies produces huge amounts of vitamin D which has proven to increase our immune system along with other benefits to our cells and well being. I've been searching, but unable to find, any recent studies on how those living in "sunny states" would compare to those living in "cloudy states" in terms of COVID-19 deaths so I decided to to my own.

I used the source linked below to determine the top 10 "sunny states" which are AZ, NV, NM, WY, CA, UT, ID, GA, SD, FL (in descending order) based on the total average sunshine in the state. Using the same source, the top 10 most cloudy states are AK, NY, WA, OH, VT, OR, MI, WI, IN, NJ (also in descending order).

Top 10 Sunny States:

Top 10 Cloudy States:

As you can see from these cumulative totals, there have been approximately 8.6 times as many deaths per million in these cloudy states vs. the sunny states. Are there other factors? Sure, things like population density, use of public transportation, age of population, obesity rates, etc. would also have any impact on any population but you would think this is a large enough sample size (over 160 million people in these 20 states) that there must be some correlation between sunshine and avoiding the virus.

I can post or send anyone my spreadsheet with the numbers if interested. Below is my sunshine hours and COVID-19 deaths sources.

And you may have forgot geography or specifically the latitudes of the States. Your list of sunny states are more or mostly in the southern part of the country and vice versa with the other list.

Miami FL is at latitude 25.8 degrees while Seattle WA is at 47.6 degrees latitude. So that means on every day of the year the Sun at Local Noon in Miami is right about 21 degrees higher in the sky. That higher angle gives more direct light having to go through less atmosphere (not sure how much less) to absorb UV frequencies. So that is another factor.

We will see what happens to viral spread as we get much closer to the summer solstice and highest solar elevations. But I think density of people, large crowds, lots of close together people contact throughout the day is by far the most important factor because the main way Covid spreads is through respiratory droplets that only take a second or two to be breathed in by another person and sunlight is most likely not going to inactivate the virus in that short time.

I am surprised Hawaii is not a top 10 sunny state but maybe they get a lot more rain and clouds than I would expect.

Last edited:
Important question to all of you. When my buddies and I and spouses and lady friends go out to various tap rooms we don't mind taking a sip from someone else's beer to sample it. Someone gets a nice imperial stout and they say try it so we take a sip.

I doubt if I will keep doing this when places open back up for seating even if vaccinated.

How about you? Do you share sips? Will you go back to sharing sips?

Pretty much going insane since she's at home with our 4 year old all day everyday. We never closed our office so I can still go to work, but she has to deal with the boy all day and it's driving her nuts. She only lets him watch 30 minutes of TV per day and is filling a lot of his time with piano and teaching. The kid is probably going to be ready for 3rd grade by the time he starts kindergarten in fall of 2021. We're going to try to send him to the Mandarin immersion school because they teach math in Mandarin and use ancient logic techniques rather than Common Core. My guess is that if he can speak Mandarin, Japanese and English he should be able to find a job when he hits the job market.

Maybe your kid will hire me someday. I'll be super old, but I might still need to work :)

And you may have forgot geography or specifically the latitudes of the States. Your list of sunny states are more or mostly in the southern part of the country and vice versa with the other list.

Miami FL is at latitude 25.8 degrees while Seattle WA is at 47.6 degrees latitude. So that means on every day of the year the Sun at Local Noon is right about 21 degrees higher in the sky. That higher angle gives more direct light having to go through less atmosphere (not sure how much less) to absorb UV frequencies. So that is another factor.

We will see what happens to viral spread as we get much closer to the summer solstice and highest solar elevations. But I think density of people, large crowds, lots of close together people contact throughout the day is by far the most important factor because the main way Covid spreads is through respiratory droplets that only take a second or two to be breathed in by a person and sunlight is most likely not going to inactivate the virus in that short time.

I am surprised Hawaii is not a top 10 sunny state but maybe they get a lot more rain and clouds than I would expect.
Yep, I was already pretty long winded on the original post but latitude would have an impact on total potential sun hours. That source I used did not have a sunshine figure for Hawaii so I did not assume it was in the top 10. If it is actually in the top 10 it would lower than deaths per million even more for the "sunny states" as Hawaii is currently at only 11 deaths per million. It's probably borderline in the top 10 as they do get a lot of rain and both times I was there it was cloudy all week and the volcano was spewing ash so quite hazy.

Last edited:

Top 10 Sunny States:

Top 10 Cloudy States:

I can post or send anyone my spreadsheet with the numbers if interested. Below is my sunshine hours and COVID-19 deaths sources.

You know what's really cool about vitamin D? It doesn't stop you from getting it. It just helps you fight it off when you do get it before it gets severe. That's a great combination of building herd immunity while minimizing deaths. In theory, we would want as many people to get it as possible during the summer months.

You know what's really cool about vitamin D? It doesn't stop you from getting it. It just helps you fight it off when you do get it before it gets severe. That's a great combination of building herd immunity while minimizing deaths. In theory, we would want as many people to get it as possible during the summer months.
Exactly. It's also not really a "vitamin". A few years ago, my Doctor told me it is really a pro-hormone, not a vitamin. I guess Pluto is not a planet anymore either ... which sucks for Pluto. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts