Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Iowa, most of the cases are contained in the 18-60 range by an enormous range

2853 in the 18-40 group

2848 in the 41-60 group

1072 in the 61-80 group

347 in the 81+ group

But the Deaths are extremely high in the older groupings

61-80.....62 Deaths

81+.....77 Deaths

There are a lot of people of all ages who have it and got infected. Any one can breathe in the virus but those stats like someone pointed out for the aged or with certain conditions is a pretty bad killer. Iowa and other states have a lot of death in elderly people in nursing and care homes.

Last edited:
Pretty much going insane since she's at home with our 4 year old all day everyday. We never closed our office so I can still go to work, but she has to deal with the boy all day and it's driving her nuts. She only lets him watch 30 minutes of TV per day and is filling a lot of his time with piano and teaching. The kid is probably going to be ready for 3rd grade by the time he starts kindergarten in fall of 2021. We're going to try to send him to the Mandarin immersion school because they teach math in Mandarin and use ancient logic techniques rather than Common Core. My guess is that if he can speak Mandarin, Japanese and English he should be able to find a job when he hits the job market.
You still didn't answer my question about the Wisconsin transplants who work at your John Deere plant down there. I might know them. They would have moved down there four-five years ago.

The Gov of Maryland a week or so ago had the state buy 500,000 swab type PCR tests from S Korea, which you may have heard about. It was an interesting story because he had Maryland Nat Guard troops on the plane and at the airport when they had a secret arrival time. He took these precautions so that FEMA or some other Fed people on orders from Trump or his henchmen tried to hijack the tests (FEMA and the Feds per stories have been stealing/commandeering other peoples stuff for awhile now)

Here is the rub to the story though as there is still this shortage of the long swabs and the plastic vial containers they come in to collect the snot/mucous from testees (no jokes please). So Maryland testers cannot use the test reagents because no one can take a sample.

Now this swab shortage is 4-5 weeks old. There are factories that are already set up to injection/pressure/cast mold these plastic vials and how hard is it to make swabs because there are already swab making factories.

Remember whittling I mentioned? Does Trump and his people have factories full of people whittling short thin sticks to glue cotton on the end to make swabs. Is that why it is taking so much time to get enough swabs???

What a shit show as Trump was complaining today to reporters about CNN's coverage of Michael Flynn. It almost makes you want to tear your hair out.

Take out infant and early childhood deaths and get back to us after you think about that :cool:

I just get tired of! the expendable crewman mentality. We should have shut the boarders... We didnt. There is so much b s in all of this on both sides. In the end it's human lives. I'm more irritated by fat is ok mentality more than distancing.

Who is expendable? Those with wheel chairs? Immigrants working for Tyson? Minorities? Those with PTSD? Those on welfare? Less than 100k assets at a certain age?

We have a problem. Our system is broken. What should have been done? What can be done? My friend is still struggling a month out of recovery.

Hope you didn't pull a hammy with the big leap you took. Man, can you take some simple facts and run with it. All I stated are CDC statistics...you know, the kind of stuff scientists and medical professionals use to analyze and understand things. If they don't fit with your emotional state of mind or false assumptions that's your thing.

Last edited:
Hope you didn't pull a hammy with the big leap you took. Man, can you take some simple facts and run with it. All I stated are CDC statistics...you know, the kind of stuff scientists and medical professionals use to analyze and understand things. If they don't fit with your emotional state of mind or false assumptions that's your thing.

Then what point we're you trying to make? It easily can be interpreted that since they are going to die soon enough anyway ...

Isn't that your point?

I happen to strongly disagree with your point. If it wasn't your point, then what was it?

I see that COVID has now killed 200 more people in Chicago than the 1995 heat wave. Hopefully they are 20% through this pandemic, but that's optimistic.

Michigan the last 7 days or so they are averaging about 1000 new cases a day and about 110 deaths a day the last 5 days. They were higher but it has plateaued at these numbers that are pretty high. If the numbers stay as is then you have to imagine on the cusp of May 1st that at the end of May another 30,000 people with be infected, about 5,000 badly ill, and 325 dead. Not good, hope it drops some more but they are still one of many hotspots. Just throwing out facts.

I see that COVID has now killed 200 more people in Chicago than the 1995 heat wave. Hopefully they are 20% through this pandemic, but that's optimistic.
Hopefully you didn't confuse the city of Chicago with Cook County this time. Cook county is twice as big.

Im sure you didn't though. It sounds like the virus got a real toehold in some parts of the city where it's difficult to socially distance

Today's US Daily Cases graph from John Hopkins with yesterday's count of 29.5 thousand. The red line fairly rhythmic natural sine wave look just like so many other natural/social measures like temps, high and low pressure, wind speeds, daily traffic amounts, etc. The orange line roughly shows that average at 30K per day and the best way to describe the plateau is the amount was right at 30K on April 2nd and ends 4 weeks later on April 30 at 30K without much variance around that mean during April (there are stats people on here and they can add analysis if they want).

I think what the graph shows is that with about a 10-14 day lag time with contracting the virus and showing bad enough symptoms to get tested and confirmed as a case the plateauing starts about 10-14 days after Governors started mitigation in their states. IIRC a lot of states started shutting down businesses and tough social distancing around March 15 to March 20th (correct me if need be). The mitigation worked to flatten the curve not totally to dimishish the curve but flatten it. I dont want to think about May and June being like April.

upload_2020-5-1_7-36-55.png

Last edited:
Then what point we're you trying to make? It easily can be interpreted that since they are going to die soon enough anyway ...

Isn't that your point?

I happen to strongly disagree with your point. If it wasn't your point, then what was it?

No, that wasn't my "point". Not even close.

Last edited:
Here's a mind blowing stat. Of the 64,000 deaths so far, 60,000 have been in April. 60,000 deaths in one month while we are destroying the economy trying to slow it down as much as possible. The only good news is it sounds like for the most part, hospitals aren't being overwhelmed. If we have 60,000 more deaths in May and June, we will probably be close enough to herd emmunity to have sports in the fall.

Today's US Daily Cases graph from John Hopkins with yesterday's count of 29.5 thousand. The red line fairly rhythmic natural sine wave look just like so many other natural/social measures like temps, high and low pressure, wind speeds, daily traffic amounts, etc. The orange line roughly shows that average at 30K per day and the best way to describe the plateau is the amount was right at 30K on April 2nd and ends 4 weeks later on April 30 at 30K without much variance around that mean during April (there are stats people on here and they can add analysis if they want).

I think what the graph shows is that with about a 10-14 day lag time with contracting the virus and showing bad enough symptoms to get tested and confirmed as a case the plateauing starts about 10-14 days after Governors started mitigation in their states. IIRC a lot of states started shutting down businesses and tough social distancing around March 15 to March 20th (correct me if need be). The mitigation worked to flatten the curve not totally to dimishish the curve but flatten it. I dont want to think about May and June being like April.

View attachment 6740
They knew that flattening the curve would prolong the event, and other then keeping hospitals below capacity they took little else into consideration.

What's done is done. I'm now looking to the exciting possibilities of treatments, vaccines, and herd immunity.
The breakthrough will occur. What are they going to do, repeat this whole process from October to May next year?

They knew that flattening the curve would prolong the event, and other then keeping hospitals below capacity they took little else into consideration.

What's done is done. I'm now looking to the exciting possibilities of treatments, vaccines, and herd immunity.
The breakthrough will occur. What are they going to do, repeat this whole process from October to May next year?
More interesting info about COVID and nicotine as a treatment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3592351/

Here's a mind blowing stat. Of the 64,000 deaths so far, 60,000 have been in April. 60,000 deaths in one month while we are destroying the economy trying to slow it down as much as possible. The only good news is it sounds like for the most part, hospitals aren't being overwhelmed. If we have 60,000 more deaths in May and June, we will probably be close enough to herd emmunity to have sports in the fall.

Wishful thinking PC the shelter in place Orders will only Make the fall look like another SHITSHOW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.