Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important question to all of you. When my buddies and I and spouses and lady friends go out to various tap rooms we don't mind taking a sip from someone else's beer to sample it. Someone gets a nice imperial stout and they say try it so we take a sip.

I doubt if I will keep doing this when places open back up for seating even if vaccinated.

How about you? Do you share sips? Will you go back to sharing sips?
Not for awhile. I think when bars do open up you may also see more disposable "red solo cups" being used rather than beer glasses. There is a large portion of the population that may not trust the dish washer. I'd prefer to drink out of one of those anyway, even pre-COVID.

Last edited:
And you may have forgot geography or specifically the latitudes of the States. Your list of sunny states are more or mostly in the southern part of the country and vice versa with the other list.

Miami FL is at latitude 25.8 degrees while Seattle WA is at 47.6 degrees latitude. So that means on every day of the year the Sun at Local Noon in Miami is right about 21 degrees higher in the sky. That higher angle gives more direct light having to go through less atmosphere (not sure how much less) to absorb UV frequencies. So that is another factor.

We will see what happens to viral spread as we get much closer to the summer solstice and highest solar elevations. But I think density of people, large crowds, lots of close together people contact throughout the day is by far the most important factor because the main way Covid spreads is through respiratory droplets that only take a second or two to be breathed in by another person and sunlight is most likely not going to inactivate the virus in that short time.

I am surprised Hawaii is not a top 10 sunny state but maybe they get a lot more rain and clouds than I would expect.
Hawaii won't be in the top ten if you take daylight hours into effect.

Fun fact: You cannot achieve total darkness unless the sun is at least eighteen degrees below the horizon. The farther north you get in the summer, the longer the daylight, and the slower the onset of darkness, because the sun is setting at less and less of a tangent relative to the horizon. It's like crossing railroad tracks at a twenty degree angle. Since the artic circle is at 66 degrees latitude, cities at 48 degrees or north, which includes parts of North Dakota and Minnesota, will never get totally dark for about a month each summer.

Get a couple hundred miles Into Canada and you really notice it. But you have to be away from City lights. It is difficult to discern visible objects once the sun dips more than twelve degrees below the horizon.

Well this is the irony of all ironies. Politico reports that info from the US Capitol physician states that they do not have enough Covid tests to screen and test all 100 senators. So what happened to Trump and Pence's millions of tests?

Is this really real?? We will find out as more outlets report this or it is debunked. If true the irony is the Repub led Senate is getting stiffed by their own Prez and VP's promises.

Well this is the irony of all ironies. Politico reports that info from the US Capitol physician states that they do not have enough Covid tests to screen and test all 100 senators. So what happened to Trump and Pence's millions of tests?

Is this really real?? We will find out as more outlets report this or it is debunked. If true the irony is the Repub led Senate is getting stiffed by their own Prez and VP's promises.
Maybe It was "sanity tests" they ran out of? Not much of that in DC. Actually worldometer is showing 6.7 million tests have been performed so far in the U.S. Far more than any other country. I know, not on a per million basis but enough for any pol to get their hands on. I'm sure the pols in DC can snap a finger and get a test much quicker than you or I. CNN also reported Kim Jung Un was dead last week but that does not appear to be accurate based on some reports tonight.

Hawaii won't be in the top ten if you take daylight hours into effect.

Fun fact: You cannot achieve total darkness unless the sun is at least eighteen degrees below the horizon. The farther north you get in the summer, the longer the daylight, and the slower the onset of darkness, because the sun is setting at less and less of a tangent relative to the horizon. It's like crossing railroad tracks at a twenty degree angle. Since the artic circle is at 66 degrees latitude, cities at 48 degrees or north, which includes parts of North Dakota and Minnesota, will never get totally dark for about a month each summer.

Get a couple hundred miles Into Canada and you really notice it. But you have to be away from City lights. It is difficult to discern visible objects once the sun dips more than twelve degrees below the horizon.
I lived in Singapore in 2013. It is about 1 degree north of the equator. Daylight there is basically 12 hours every day all year long. A "cold" day was 85 and a "hot" day 88. Humidity about the same as well.

It's from Politico. Do you really think it's real? I'm pretty certain they could scrounge up 100-200 tests. Get real folks. This going against a guy because he has an "R" beside his name has to stop. Really? You are old enough to know better.

It's from Politico. Do you really think it's real? I'm pretty certain they could scrounge up 100-200 tests. Get real folks. This going against a guy because he has an "R" beside his name has to stop. Really? You are old enough to know better.

It's not all because he has an R next to his name. Some of it is because he's not PC. Some people just hate people who aren't PC. Half of me thinks the president of the United states needs to be PC. But the other half likes that he's not.

I think it is real. The swabs and vials to hold the swabs are in short supply so maybe that is the bottleneck.

And I tell you what about the people who have an "R" beside their political title, especially this R group, it is entirely wrong during a pandemic national disaster to worry about your experts being called to testify to the House about the plans going forward so you block them from testifying. The House does the people's business, Fauci is a public servant paid for with the people's tax dollars, what does Trump have to hide I ask. The House wants to know the plan so they can inform the people because so far there hasnt been much of a plan at the Fed level. Dont lecture about being old enough but instead maybe think about what could have happened with direct action led by experts not politicians.

ABC News
White House blocks Dr. Anthony Fauci from testifying before Congress next week, calls it 'counter-productive'

It's not all because he has an R next to his name. Some of it is because he's not PC. Some people just hate people who aren't PC. Half of me thinks the president of the United states needs to be PC. But the other half likes that he's not.

What could Fauci say telling the truth that would be counterproductive to the WH administration? Fauci has been biting his tongue since these theatrical Covid briefings were started by the way he comes out and says the straight goings on when he has to while most of the time mainly standing on the sidelines in these briefings listening to the non-experts.

Not wanting to get in some pissing match but this is no time to hide the truth and hold back from the citizenry by blocking the experts from speaking their minds and answering the people's questions.

In regards to #OperationWarpSpeed

The last time the government sought a ‘warp speed’ vaccine, it was a fiasco

“They were well aware of the ravages of the 1918 flu, and this virus appeared to be closely related,” political scientist Max J. Skidmore wrote in his book “Presidents, Pandemics, and Politics.” “The officials were concerned about a repetition of the tragedy, or the threat of perhaps an even more virulent pandemic.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/05/01/vaccine-swine-flu-coronavirus/

What could Fauci say telling the truth that would be counterproductive to the WH administration? Fauci has been biting his tongue since these theatrical Covid briefings were started by the way he comes out and says the straight goings on when he has to while most of the time mainly standing on the sidelines in these briefings listening to the non-experts.

Not wanting to get in some pissing match but this is no time to hide the truth and hold back from the citizenry by blocking the experts from speaking their minds and answering the people's questions.
I think Fauci is OK and he has been at plenty of the daily briefings, not always as a presenter but available on the side. He's also been available for dozen of other interviews beyond the daily briefing. I think Birx is a better communicator and presenter at the daily briefings.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think there is also some concern about things blowing up for Fauci when there is more investigation in to the Wuhan Lab by the U.S. and probably dozens of other countries trying to figure out WTF happened over there. As you know, he is in charge of the NIH (has been since 1984) and that organization did give the Wuhan Lab a $3.7 million dollar grant to study these bat viruses in 2015. We basically outsourced that type of virus research to China at the time. This has not been widely reported here in the U.S. but it's getting a lot of press in Europe and Asia. Here is a good article from the Asia Times ...

https://asiatimes.com/2020/04/why-us-outsourced-bat-virus-research-to-wuhan/

I sure am glad to hear from all the protectors of democracy and individuals’ rights that it’s perfectly fine to deny Fauci the ability to speak his mind. I guess many of those folks were busy with defense of their rights to ignore safety measures. And before you jump on me, I am absolutely not talking about anyone who does not fit into this narrative.

I sure am glad to hear from all the protectors of democracy and individuals’ rights that it’s perfectly fine to deny Fauci the ability to speak his mind. I guess many of those folks were busy with defense of their rights to ignore safety measures. And before you jump on me, I am absolutely not talking about anyone who does not fit into this narrative.
The guy has had so many interviews and answered so many questions in the past two month he is horse. Here he was 2 days ago at the White House talking about Remdesivir. He's also 79 years old and I'm sure wearing down a bit through all this.

I think Fauci is OK and he has been at plenty of the daily briefings, not always as a presenter but available on the side. He's also been available for dozen of other interviews beyond the daily briefing. I think Birx is a better communicator and presenter at the daily briefings.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think there is also some concern about things blowing up for Fauci when there is more investigation in to the Wuhan Lab by the U.S. and probably dozens of other countries trying to figure out WTF happened over there. As you know, he is in charge of the NIH (has been since 1984) and that organization did give the Wuhan Lab a $3.7 million dollar grant to study these bat viruses in 2015. We basically outsourced that type of virus research to China at the time. This has not been widely reported here in the U.S. but it's getting a lot of press in Europe and Asia. Here is a good article from the Asia Times ...

https://asiatimes.com/2020/04/why-us-outsourced-bat-virus-research-to-wuhan/

Fauci is not in charge of the NIH. He is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. This is one of 27 institutes of the NIH. He is just one pea in the pod of the NIH...

The guy has had so many interviews and answered so many questions in the past two month he is horse. Here he was 2 days ago at the White House talking about Remdesivir. He's also 79 years old and I'm sure wearing down a bit through all this.

And he explained the trials of remdesivir so well and so concisely that it was great for people to hear. Look when reporters ask him questions and the subject of testing or some other divisive subject comes up he has very visibly tried to beat around the bush sometimes to toe a fine line answering those questions, I have watched those videos.

It seems Congress wants to ask about future plans and I am sure they want to find out about past actions. But this is a great time for experts to lay out what needs to be done about testing, vaccines, mitigation, mutations, PPE, because it is Congress that appropriates the money. Congress and the people really have a right to call anyone of import in front of them to testify about important business. And this is really important. Do we really have to go right back to using subpoenas to get people to testify??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts