Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna go back and watch that one again.
I watched it last night, the collectors edition on Blu ray is near perfect. Also, this is a cool site for the film. Some avid fans of the movie found the site where it was filmed and found some left items from the movie. The Thing & Alien are my two favorite sci-fi horror movies. Both are film and cinema master pieces.

https://www.outpost31.com/

5577476_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited:
"Shoppers must wear a face covering or mask to be allowed in Costco stores starting Monday to prevent the spread of COVID-19. All members, guests and employees must comply, the company said.
Members who don’t have a mask with them will be supplied a free one for the first week only.
Costco is the first major national retailer to mandate mask wearing by customers, although local and regional retailers have also done so. The requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition, according to Costco’s website."

I saw that too, but from a different source...an infectious disease has to be pretty bad for it to be jumping off the page when looking at total deaths from all causes. @PCHawk has been saying this for awhile, but we can nitpick about case fatality rate and infection fatality rate values all we want, but way more people are dying than is normal/expected, and that cannot be ignored.

The source I saw was a Washington Post article (too lazy to find again and link), and they did point out that it is impossible to know how many of these unexpected, unaccounted for deaths are directly COVID-related, vs. other cause (homicide/suicide, people reluctant to get treated for treatable illnesses because of quarantine, etc.), which is a good caveat to keep in mind.

But then there is this ... total U.S. deaths (all 50 states) in March 2020 were down 15% compared to the past four year average in March ... per CDC data.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ch-2020-actually-15-average-prior-four-years/

Interesting and provocative, but probably not surprising. Things didn't really get up to speed until the end of March, and the data they are reporting is through March 22:
upload_2020-4-30_14-49-50.png

So COVID wasn't kicking our ass yet in March, but people were social distancing. That probably means fewer flu deaths, fewer traffic fatalities, fewer people having pianos fall on them while walking down the street (admittedly, this is likely a small total number), etc..

If you look at the figures from the tweet Rob posted, you will see the red-line taking off at just about the end-point (March 22) of the data from your post. I think April data will look much different from March.

Besides the point of discussion here, just wanted to let you know I have appreciated your contributions to this thread. I have been away for the better part of a week (things were getting tedious), but as I was catching up a bit today, I was reminded that you present useful information without inflammatory rhetoric, and I have learned from many of your posts. Thanks.

2 weeks ago I made a "wait 2 more weeks" post. There were 34,000 deaths. Now there are 61,000. 11,000 more than I got called a doomsdayer for predicting. The good news is it definitely peaked. The bad news is unless something changes soon like a treatment or summer slowing it down, we will probably hit 100,000 by the end of May or shortly after.

I know there are some people here that think social distancing doesn't help. I have no idea how someone can think spending less time around other people doesn't help slow a virus spread, so I won't even address them. As for everyone else that does understand social distancing slows it down, do you think this was worth it? 60,000 deaths over the last 4 weeks. The next 4-6 weeks will almost certainly see 40,000 more. What would it be if nothing closed? Double that? Triple that? I think it was a mistake in hindsight to shut everywhere down at once. But if we did nothing at all, things would have gotten really bad.

I don't think the best comparison is social-distancing vs. nothing, but rather Sweden/Iowa vs. more rigorous, state-mandated lockdowns.

Sweden and Iowa are counting on their citizens to follow their social distancing guidelines, eliminating obvious large gatherings, and closing down some non-essential stuff. Other places are going way more severe with state-mandated shutdowns. Sweden is experiencing more deaths because of this, and Iowa might also at some point. Can the additional deaths be justified by important improvements in health/life-quality in huge portions of the population? Very tough question to answer, and frankly even to discuss without angering many.

Harsh, state-mandated lockdowns negatively affect almost everyone, some only slightly, some much more heavily.

Leniency is going to negatively impact fewer, but the impact will be greater (duh, some will die).

How many extra deaths this month are worth improving the quality of life for millions right now? Remember, the quality of life is not just about people going out and enjoying themselves, or having more money in their pockets; it is a huge factor that impacts the lives of millions over the years/decades to come.

Very tricky question, and one that we may never truly know the answer to. I am okay right now with Iowa looking to open things up more, as long as they have a good plan for test/track and isolating and protecting the most at-risk populations. I hope I don't look stupid for this down the road.

2 weeks ago I made a "wait 2 more weeks" post. There were 34,000 deaths. Now there are 61,000. 11,000 more than I got called a doomsdayer for predicting. The good news is it definitely peaked.

MY ANSWERS IN BOLD CAPS: IT SEEMS TO HAVE PEAKED BUT AS I MENTIONED 3-4 WEEKS AGO IS WHETHER IT WILL PLATEAU AT FAIRLY HIGH NEW CASES AND DEATHS PER DAY OR KEEP GOING DOWN.

THE ANSWER IT HAS PLATEAUED AT A PRETTY HIGH LEVEL PER DAY, NOT GOOD AS YOU SAY/

The bad news is unless something changes soon like a treatment or summer slowing it down, we will probably hit 100,000 by the end of May or shortly after.

I know there are some people here that think social distancing doesn't help. I have no idea how someone can think spending less time around other people doesn't help slow a virus spread, so I won't even address them. As for everyone else that does understand social distancing slows it down, do you think this was worth it? OH MITIGATION WAS WELL WORTH IT. CAN YOU IMAGINE IF WE HAD 500,000

YOU WERE NOT A DOOMS DAYER IN REALITY WERE YOU AS IT IS EASY TO MULTIPLY AVG DEATHS PER DAY (WHEN THEY ARE FAIRLY CONSTANT) BY 30 DAYS TO GET A PROJECTED ANSWER.

60,000 deaths over the last 4 weeks. The next 4-6 weeks will almost certainly see 40,000 more.

What would it be if nothing closed? WITHOUT DOING ANY MITIGATION THE NUMBERS WOULD BE PROBABLY MUCH, MUCH HIGHER AND HERE IS WHY. WE HAVE A MILLION CASES NOW BUT WITH POOR TESTING AND ANTIBODY TEST RESULTS THERE ARE PROBABLY 10 TO 20 MILLION PEOPLE INFECTED IN THE US.

THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE OUTCOMES AND HOTSPOTS IN NYC, NEW ORLEANS, OHIO HAD A BIG SPIKE , FLORIDA AREAS, LA, SEATTLE, CHICAGO. THERE ARE 50+ MILLION PEOPLE JUST IN THOSE AREAS THAT WOULD ALL BE MINGLING, WORKING TOGETHER, ETC.

WITH MUCH LARGER NUMBERS THAT MEANS MUCH WORSE HEALTHCARE COVERAGE WITH SWAMPED HOSPITALS LEADING TO EVEN MORE DEATHS.

THE US WOULD PROBABLY, CONSERVATIVELY HAVE 300,000 TO 450,000 DEATHS RIGHT NOW AND HEADING TOWARDS THE ORIGINAL MODEL NUMBERS OF 1 TO 2.5 MILLION IN A YEAR WITH AS INFECTIOUS AND BAD THIS VIRUS IS. THAT SHOULD NOT BE HARD TO IMAGINE.

Double that? Triple that? MAYBE MORE

I think it was a mistake in hindsight to shut everywhere down at once. I THINK A LOT OF RURAL, LIGHTLY POPULATED AND MUCH SMALLER TOWNS COULD HAVE STAYED OPEN UNTIL THERE WERE SIGNS OF SOME CASES. THE STATE OF WASHINGTON AND THE SEATTLE AREA HAVE GREAT PLANS IN PLACE ALREADY FOR THIS TYPE OF EPIDEMIC. THEY JUMPED ON THEIR OUTBREAK HARD AND KEPT THE PROBLEM TO A MINIMUM THAT WAS MANAGEABLE.

AND ONCE AGAIN I WILL SAY TRUMP AND PENCE DID NOT DO THEIR JOBS AND WERE LATE AND STILL NOT THERE ON TESTING AND MAKING SWABS, ETC SO WE COULD KNOW WHERE PROBLEMS ARE OR WERE. THE STATES CANNOT INCREASE THEIR MONETARY SUPPLY NOR MAKE COMPANIES PUMP OUT GOODS LIKE TESTS AND PPE.

But if we did nothing at all, things would have gotten really bad.

"BBC: Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin has gone to hospital after he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

His positive test came on the same day that Russia recorded a record 7,099 cases, taking the total number of infections above 100,000.

Mr Mishustin was given the role of prime minister in January and has been actively involved in Russia's handling of the epidemic.

Russian TV showed him telling President Vladimir Putin of his diagnosis.

"I have just learned that the test on the coronavirus I took was positive," the prime minister said during the video call.

Mr Mishustin suggested that First Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov should take his place and Mr Putin agreed. Mr Mishustin will now go into self-isolation.

"What's happening to you can happen to anyone, and I've always been saying this," Mr Putin told him.

"You are a very active person. I would like to thank you for the work that has been done so far."

Yeah I bet those sites are crazy and I am not going to waste my time looking at them. I dont think any of us are going to drastically change each other's minds a lot on here but I think we are all frustrated and we want to discuss our views of why we think processes should be a certain way. And I think we all want to have others look at things through a somewhat different way.

The latest unemployment numbers are terrible. We only have to go back 12 years to a depression caused by greed and lack of oversight and mostly a lack of courage. Some of you dont remember or lived through 18% interest rates, higher unemployment and layoffs in the 1970s and 1980s but it was bad, and all the farmers going bankrupt and their farms being gobbled up by big agribusiness, a lot of suicides, at the same time a very large savings and loan scandal was going on.

Jacket.aspx

With the meat plant closures and Tyson CEO and some others claiming the food supply chain is broken it might be a good time to look at other non-meat sources of protein that many of us know about. The list is pretty easy to find online and common foods like eggs, cheeses, tofu and soy, fish, nuts, seed type veggies like corn and peas, green bean with their seeds. IIRC there are about 9 essential amino acids our bodies cannot make internally and over a long period of time we need to ingest enough of those essential amino acids.

The main problem with our food chain supply I have read is there are two supply chains, one for residential and one for commercial foods and there is not enough of the packaging and processing space for residential now that so many people are eating at home rather than business and school cafeterias and all sort of eateries.

There are quite a few sources of protein other than The Charred Remains of Dead Animals

:cool:

Yes this seems to be the age factor breakdown and a lot of those 55 and 60 year olds were pretty healthy and it seems younger people who die are having some blood clotting and stroke blockage issues.

In Iowa, most of the cases are contained in the 18-60 range by an enormous range

2853 in the 18-40 group

2848 in the 41-60 group

1072 in the 61-80 group

347 in the 81+ group

But the Deaths are extremely high in the older groupings

61-80.....62 Deaths

81+.....77 Deaths

In Iowa, most of the cases are contained in the 18-60 range by an enormous range

2853 in the 18-40 group

2848 in the 41-60 group

1072 in the 61-80 group

347 in the 81+ group

61-80.....62 Deaths

81+.....77 Deaths

In Minnesota the median age of C-19 deaths is 85. (for those of you who forgot, "median" means half are above and half are below). The average life expectancy for all people is 78. Think about that for a minute.

In Minnesota the median age of C-19 deaths is 85. (for those of you who forgot, "median" means half are above and half are below). The average life expectancy for all people is 78. Think about that for a minute.

Take out infant and early childhood deaths and get back to us after you think about that :cool:

I just get tired of! the expendable crewman mentality. We should have shut the boarders... We didnt. There is so much b s in all of this on both sides. In the end it's human lives. I'm more irritated by fat is ok mentality more than distancing.

Who is expendable? Those with wheel chairs? Immigrants working for Tyson? Minorities? Those with PTSD? Those on welfare? Less than 100k assets at a certain age?

We have a problem. Our system is broken. What should have been done? What can be done? My friend is still struggling a month out of recovery.

Last edited:

2853 in the 18-40 group

2848 in the 41-60 group

1072 in the 61-80 group

347 in the 81+ group

61-80.....62 Deaths

81+.....77 Deaths

Based on those numbers if you're 81+ you have a 22.2% chance of dying from C-19.

If you're in the 61-80 group you have a 5.8% chance of dying from C-19.

My parents and in-laws are in the 61-80 group and 5.8% is still way higher than I feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.