What is this team's record if Fran had signed 2 guards, rather than Garza/Nunge?

Williams, Dickerson, Dale Jones, Brandon Hutton, Ingram, Kyle Meyer....all of those guys decided to transfer out of the program on their own without being forced out. This offseason you'll see more of the same thing

In other words, they were put between a rock and a hard spot so it “was their decision “.

It's was their decision. Fran didn't say "leave or else I'll revoke your scholarship"

There's no way Fran intended for Hutton or Williams to leave. Why redshirt a kid you don't want on your team?

Common sense? They would have said they were forced out? Both guys said it wasn't a good fit when interviewed after they left. If a coach revoked a scholarship, you'd hear about it

Youbexpect a straight answer and common sense? What does common sense have to do with Fran KF or Barta.

Dont underestimate a coach and his son and motives.

Not to mention that back in 2014 the big ten passed a rule that guarantees 4 year scholarships to athletes as long as they stay in good standing with the school.

So...you know...there's that too
There is such a thing as a player being better than the son of the coach's wife.

The whiffs are just piling up on Mac. I love Garza and think Nudge has as much potential as White did, maybe more as he can hit the 3. They are not the problem. The problem is Mac had put all his eggs in Conner's basket and he got burned. Also, striking out on the last 3 PGs he pursued hasn't helped either. I see so many athletic guards on so many teams, it's truly phenomenal that Mac can't get ANY of them signed. Then there's the signing of a couple of players that don't seem to realize that their not D-1 material, at least in basketball. How many times can you get embarrassed before you realize you just aren't good enough to play at this level. Hopefully, or mercifully some of these players will see the light and head to greener pastures and give Mac some room to bring in some talented players, Maybe a grad student, or a player from a team firing their head coach, or Junior college. I hate to see a player get bitter, or a fan base sour on a player, but that's where Iowa is heading.

I think that's a bit rose colored way to look at it. It's a billion dollar industry. Players transfer all over the place. Its kind of a microcosm of the world at large. Very little loyalty. Kind of like employee employer relations these days. It may not feel good but it is reality.

I feel like Iowa fans suffer a lot from an athletic department that wants everything to be Leave it to Beaver when it just isn't any more. I hope the high horse is comfortable because the view isn't very good.

I don't think it really works like that either,letting a bunch go. If you do that, even worse multiple years, you are pretty much admitting your recruiting sucks and you are failing in that area as a coach or staff.

I don't think it really works like that either,letting a bunch go. If you do that, even worse multiple years, you are pretty much admitting your recruiting sucks and you are failing in that area as a coach or staff.
To be fair, I said Fran won't pull any scholarships and I don't think he should. But, he needs to tell three or four players they're not playing any more other than garbage time if they haven't already figured it out.

I find this “run a bunch of guys off and replace them with new players” argument to be laughable. You’d be talking about the grad transfer and JUCO markets which are hardly slam dunks when it comes to recruiting.

In any event how does that fix any of our issues: Fran would still play too many guys, still lack the ability to teach defense, and I don’t know that it would suddenly get guys to play hard.

I find this “run a bunch of guys off and replace them with new players” argument to be laughable. You’d be talking about the grad transfer and JUCO markets which are hardly slam dunks when it comes to recruiting.

In any event how does that fix any of our issues: Fran would still play too many guys, still lack the ability to teach defense, and I don’t know that it would suddenly get guys to play hard.
I guess for me replacing a few players seems "somewhat realistic". Fran coaching defense, managing a lineup appropriately, managing in-game crucial situations etc. are just utterly unrealistic. Fran put us in this position and none of these faults are one-off so I have no idea why people think we should continue to pay Fran to fail at correcting them.

Winning makes players play hard. If we can improve a little next year, and actually win some non conference games, it's possible we would see an entirely different team. Fran has already proved he can win with the right players. What we need is the right players again AND one clutch player we can rely on to win us close games. If we have that one clutch player, it really won't matter what the coach does in close games. If we had that player a few years ago, we would all be wanting a statue of Fran right now. Well maybe not right now, but we would have a couple years ago.

Winning makes players play hard. If we can improve a little next year, and actually win some non conference games, it's possible we would see an entirely different team. Fran has already proved he can win with the right players. What we need is the right players again AND one clutch player we can rely on to win us close games. If we have that one clutch player, it really won't matter what the coach does in close games. If we had that player a few years ago, we would all be wanting a statue of Fran right now. Well maybe not right now, but we would have a couple years ago.

The problem is we won't have those players next year either unless some players move out and we bring some new guys in that aren't already planning on being here.

I guess for me replacing a few players seems "somewhat realistic". Fran coaching defense, managing a lineup appropriately, managing in-game crucial situations etc. are just utterly unrealistic. Fran put us in this position and none of these faults are one-off so I have no idea why people think we should continue to pay Fran to fail at correcting them.
I believe Fran should be let go but we know that’s not happening.

I would be fine with any of these guys moving on (Ellingson, Kriener, Wagner, Pemsl), however I do not think a mass exodus is healthy for a program. I also don’t think the transfer market is a fruitful as people believe.

There have been plenty of bad teams in the history of basketball that still played hard. I still maintain that there is something more going on here this season. I don’t know what it is and I have no idea if it can be fixed going forward.

Why would we need a clutch player when we get blown out of the gym most nights? JBo has actually shown a hint of a clutch gene over the last two years, but as we know he can’t create his own shot, so we need a coach who is smart enough to set something up for him to get open.

Ultimately Fran is going to need to take a step back here and evaluate the roster he has and make some tough changes to the way he coaches. Maybe he can turn it around, my guess is that’s unlikely because i think he’s pretty stubborn, but if he doesn’t and we have another down year, he will be that much closer to being shown the door.

I understand that this season has left everyone in full on panic mode, but you have to remember what we lost. Coming into the year down one guard with the loss of Jok, we were debating adding Connor as a "burn redshirt in case of emergency" option. Then Williams transferred unexpectedly and we enacted our emergency plan. Then our emergency plan got injured so we went to the double back up emergency plan which was Ellingson. Then Ellingson got injured. Then we went to "throw any warm body at the guard positions" and started playing Baer at the 2 and Maishe at the 1 right after Baer was getting back from his injury trying to get into the swing of things.

So yes, of course two guards would have helped this roster. McCaffery isn't an idiot, he knows we need guards. And he is due blame for the lack of depth having a solid bench defender in Williams transfer and not having someone at the ready. But it was a culmination of bad luck and building to the future that caused it. He knew he was taking a gamble not bringing in at least one guard and going for the best available players instead. The gamble didn't pay off and now we're suffering the consequences. I'll take my lumps this year though to build to the future and have Garza and Nunge on the roster. Connor, Wieskamp, and maybe Fredrick will add 2-3 able bodies at the guard spots so we don't have to overplay guys that aren't ready for those minutes. I think Ellingson is the most likely transfer as he should be set to graduate this spring and could play immediately elsewhere. We could pick up yet another guard in that situation, and completely alter the complexion of this roster. For these reasons, I have high hopes for the next 3 years at least.

I understand that this season has left everyone in full on panic mode, but you have to remember what we lost. Coming into the year down one guard with the loss of Jok, we were debating adding Connor as a "burn redshirt in case of emergency" option. Then Williams transferred unexpectedly and we enacted our emergency plan. Then our emergency plan got injured so we went to the double back up emergency plan which was Ellingson. Then Ellingson got injured. Then we went to "throw any warm body at the guard positions" and started playing Baer at the 2 and Maishe at the 1 right after Baer was getting back from his injury trying to get into the swing of things.

So yes, of course two guards would have helped this roster. McCaffery isn't an idiot, he knows we need guards. And he is due blame for the lack of depth having a solid bench defender in Williams transfer and not having someone at the ready. But it was a culmination of bad luck and building to the future that caused it. He knew he was taking a gamble not bringing in at least one guard and going for the best available players instead. The gamble didn't pay off and now we're suffering the consequences. I'll take my lumps this year though to build to the future and have Garza and Nunge on the roster. Connor, Wieskamp, and maybe Fredrick will add 2-3 able bodies at the guard spots so we don't have to overplay guys that aren't ready for those minutes. I think Ellingson is the most likely transfer as he should be set to graduate this spring and could play immediately elsewhere. We could pick up yet another guard in that situation, and completely alter the complexion of this roster. For these reasons, I have high hopes for the next 3 years at least.

Williams was awful. This isn't bad luck this is having a terrible back court lined up for this season with or without Williams.

Guards instead of those big guys... Well either way you'd still have true freshman right? It'd be tough to know the answer to such a question not knowing who the individuals are etc. Having two less big guys would have been problematic for this roster. Garza has played a ton this year. (Nunge would have been better served to RS) Not having Garza would have meant more PT for Pemsl and Kreiner obviously. Not sure that'd have helped a whole lot....

There have been plenty of bad teams in the history of basketball that still played hard. I still maintain that there is something more going on here this season. I don’t know what it is and I have no idea if it can be fixed going forward.

Why would we need a clutch player when we get blown out of the gym most nights? JBo has actually shown a hint of a clutch gene over the last two years, but as we know he can’t create his own shot, so we need a coach who is smart enough to set something up for him to get open.

Ultimately Fran is going to need to take a step back here and evaluate the roster he has and make some tough changes to the way he coaches. Maybe he can turn it around, my guess is that’s unlikely because i think he’s pretty stubborn, but if he doesn’t and we have another down year, he will be that much closer to being shown the door.

I said we need to get better AND get a player who is clutch to fix our close game problems. If we don't get better, you're right we won't have a need for clutch players.