What is this team's record if Fran had signed 2 guards, rather than Garza/Nunge?

Why would we assume that the guards would be better defenders as freshmen than Moss and Dailey? We don't need random new guards. We need upgrades over the guards we have. If all we needed was a random guard who could defend, we had one when McCaffery signed Nunge and Garza.

Here's another question. Say there was some way to know Garza and Nunge will both turn out to be really good. Would it be worth a throw away this yearto have them both for the next 3?

Yep, what I also touched on below. Well stated.

It just doesn't work that easy to say if we swapped out two positions for these we'd have 5-6 more wins. Really laughable when you think about it.

Yep, what I also touched on below. Well stated.

It just doesn't work that easy to say if we swapped out two positions for these we'd have 5-6 more wins. Really laughable when you think about it.

I hope it works that way because we are bringing in 3 guards next year. That means we're for sure a bubble team at worst.

The first priority in the offseason should be cutting some of the dead weight. Find a core of the 6 or 7 players you want to keep, cut the rest, and go hard after some legitimate guards.

Fredrick, Wieskamp and Connor McCaffery.

Gotcha. I guess I don't count Connor since he's already here. I also see Weiskamp as more of a 3 than a 2. Isn't Fredrick like 6'8"? That would seem to make him more of a 3 as well. Of course, someone will have to play guard for us lol.

Gotcha. I guess I don't count Connor since he's already here. I also see Weiskamp as more of a 3 than a 2. Isn't Fredrick like 6'8"? That would seem to make him more of a 3 as well. Of course, someone will have to play guard for us lol.

CJ is listed as a 2 and 6'4" - Since Connor RS, he moves to that class. I really didn't see enough of him to really count him. I see Joe W as a 3 as well.... which is why I ask if having Connor at the 1, Jordan and 2 and Joe W at the 3 would be an upgrade over this year?

The first priority in the offseason should be cutting some of the dead weight. Find a core of the 6 or 7 players you want to keep, cut the rest, and go hard after some legitimate guards.

This isn't professional sports. You don't just cut players. Yes, a program has the right to pull a scholly for any reason, but they don't typically pull one unless for specific reasons such as a player doing something detrimental to the team or for academics or something. I think a coach would get just burned if pulled scholly's because wanted to upgrade the talent.

This isn't professional sports. You don't just cut players. Yes, a program has the right to pull a scholly for any reason, but they don't typically pull one unless for specific reasons such as a player doing something detrimental to the team or for academics or something. I think a coach would get just burned if pulled scholly's because wanted to upgrade the talent.

He won't and he would...but there are ways of it happening. I really think this is BE's last few games. When is Senior day for Iowa? Will be interested to see if he's honored

He won't and he would...but there are ways of it happening. I really think this is BE's last few games. When is Senior day for Iowa? Will be interested to see if he's honored

Yea, I suppose coaches kind of "recommend" a player move along. I guess that happens. I think even KF has done that on occasion. Go here to get more playing time.

Yea, I suppose coaches kind of "recommend" a player move along. I guess that happens. I think even KF has done that on occasion. Go here to get more playing time.

Well, I think they have a 1 on 1 at the end of every season and expectations and future is laid out. I feel like it's happened a lot at Iowa since Fran has got here. Dale Jones last year... other departures that moved on and went down a level. It seems like the guys who haven't been able to cut it get shown the door - or some still try and stick it out. But I think he shoots them straight. ... He may have over played his hand last season tho - and I think you might see a more direct approach now that we've experienced such a miserable year.

Why would we assume that the guards would be better defenders as freshmen than Moss and Dailey? We don't need random new guards. We need upgrades over the guards we have. If all we needed was a random guard who could defend, we had one when McCaffery signed Nunge and Garza.

Here's another question. Say there was some way to know Garza and Nunge will both turn out to be really good. Would it be worth a throw away this yearto have them both for the next 3?
First, it's not a huge leap for someone to be better defenders than Moss and Dailey. Second, I inferred from the OP that the guards would be an upgrade in talent, otherwise, what's the point of new guys if they're like the old guys.

Regardless, it didn't happen. So, now Fran has to fix it. Fast. Another season like this or anything close to this cannot be allowed, for no other reason than this forum next year will be nothing more than a copy and paste set of posts coming from this year. I'll be reduced to reading cat memes. And,

images

Well, I think they have a 1 on 1 at the end of every season and expectations and future is laid out. I feel like it's happened a lot at Iowa since Fran has got here. Dale Jones last year... other departures that moved on and went down a level. It seems like the guys who haven't been able to cut it get shown the door - or some still try and stick it out. But I think he shoots them straight. ... He may have over played his hand last season tho - and I think you might see a more direct approach now that we've experienced such a miserable year.

I think this year the way it's gone, he may have a difficult time evaluating the talent vs who has a promising future or room to grow. They've been inconsistent and too much turnover could be detrimental and set the team back further.

I think this year the way it's gone, he may have a difficult time evaluating the talent vs who has a promising future or room to grow. They've been inconsistent and too much turnover could be detrimental and set the team back further.

yeah, you could be right, but at this point, I think all options/scenarios are on the table. They have to completely look at every aspect of the team//// from off season work outs, PTL, assistant coaches, how they travel to what they eat for breakfast every day. That's typically what this kind of season brings.

Exactly....same ol pattern.... big guard/small forward bodies who aren't quick ball handlers. Good players no doubt... but not at the position of greatest need.

This won't happen, despite the fact that it should. That's not the Iowa way to do things. It would buy Fran some capital in my book if he actually would "Creen" some players as Steve Deace put it in the podcast but I'm probably a little more ruthless than the average Iowa fan. I've had to fire low performers and after going through it few times it kind of hardens you and makes you realize that you were hurting the rest of your team by letting them hang on.

As others have said, you can be honest with players and say, "You're not going to get PT. Do with that information what you will but you're essentially scout team from here out." Given Fran's rotation proclivities, I question if he has that level of mature honesty in him.