Sure is quiet on here...

That's pretty much my reaction to the game. It was great to see them win and win handily against a team with a winning record. I thought the defense, rebounding and overall intensity were excellent.

However, the statistic that figured most prominently in the outcome, by far, was shooting. Fifty percent overall and fifty percent from "3", with 12 3's overall. I would guess those are season highs across the board.

When a team whose offense is so focused on three point shots hits 50% for the game, you're going to beat a lot of people. The question is to what extent can we maintain that? With this offense, we almost have to hit three's at a good clip to have a chance to win. Our best returning shooters have been having off seasons, so this was a little more like "normal" (and then some) for a change.

On the other hand, I am encouraged by the fact that we're looking to get the ball inside more and doing a better job of it than in the recent past, both by passing into the post and by driving. I'm particularly encouraged by the continued incremental improvement of Fuller, because he looks like the best bet of anyone on the team to develop into someone who can put the ball on the floor and create a shot when needed. The fact that he can score with either hand inside makes him hard to guard, and if he can add the outside shot to his arsenal on a more regular basis, he could be something this team desperately needs: A go-to guy who does something other than stand outside the three point line.

Not that there's anything wrong with standing outside the three point line, if you can hit 50% of them as a team. I'd gladly take a whole season of that.
Nicely said. Fifty percent three-point shooting is a wonderful thing. When Michigan comes to town, I hope we can come close to that number and they'll fall far short. If both teams hit 50%, that would be an interesting game.

Iowa must have won.

Who cares ... We beat a mediocre team at home ... Did you start this thread with the hope of egging on the non believers? Good for you ... Now you and your four lonely Lick supporters can spend all day talking about how good the program is ... Enjoy!

I think people need to be way less negative on here, but I'm not gonna call Sweet Sixteen next year, or even the year after. I think the NIT is a goal they can achieve, and the NCAA the year after. The program is on an upswing, albeit a slower one than we'd all like.

Just curious what makes you say they are on an upswing?

Who cares ... We beat a mediocre team at home ... Did you start this thread with the hope of egging on the non believers? Good for you ... Now you and your four lonely Lick supporters can spend all day talking about how good the program is ... Enjoy!

I started the thread because I didn't really think any of the normal negative Nancys would show up on here. They normally don't.

It was to show the ridiculousness of message boards sometimes.

Iowa loses - boards go crazy.
Iowa wins - crickets.

It's sad in that regard.

Some of what he said is true. Its not like one win changes much at this point. What I got from that game is that if we can shot 50% from three we could be dangerous but I don't think thats to realistic.
Technically, if Iowa shot 33% from 3 they still would have won. (8/24 from three would have given them the win still)

Sure, it was great that Iowa shot well from behind the arc, but they just destroyed NW last night. 50% made the margin bigger, but I would argue Iowa's D won it for them.

I started the thread because I didn't really think any of the normal negative Nancys would show up on here. They normally don't.

It was to show the ridiculousness of message boards sometimes.

Iowa wins - crickets.

It's sad in that regard.
Come on, spank, it's human nature. People enjoy criticizing and complaining. Makes us feel better somehow. Heck, even your attempt to show the ridiculousness of message boards is criticizing in a way.

Some of what he said is true. Its not like one win changes much at this point. What I got from that game is that if we can shot 50% from three we could be dangerous but I don't think thats to realistic.

Not the point. Iowa flat out kicked the **** out of NW last night, but some people can't wait to poo-poo it.

So, we held NW to 44 % shooting (31% from 3 point range), we outrebounded NW by 8, we had 6 more assists, and only had 8 turnovers for the entire game. Those are not positives that also contributed to the win? I don't think it was just our 3 point shooting (IMO).

Granted, it was one game. But, it was better than it had been.

Come on, spank, it's human nature. People enjoy criticizing and complaining. Makes us feel better somehow. Heck, even your attempt to show the ridiculousness of message boards is criticizing in a way.

I think you are correct in the fact that I am being ironically hypocritical. I'll agree to that.

Technically, if Iowa shot 33% from 3 they still would have won. (8/24 from three would have given them the win still)

Sure, it was great that Iowa shot well from behind the arc, but they just destroyed NW last night. 50% made the margin bigger, but I would argue Iowa's D won it for them.

If you do the math you might be correct but if Iowa isn't hitting those 3's it a completelty different flow to the game. Who knows, not my point anyway. Point being is we can win some games when we shot the ball that well but we can't expect that everynight.

Not the point. Iowa flat out kicked the **** out of NW last night, but some people can't wait to poo-poo it.
And a loss is a loss but people want to take a close loss to MSU and make it into something big. Or turn a loss to OSU into if they didn't have Evan Turner we might have beat them twice. It goes both ways and when you are in the worst 3 year swing in school history some people are going to be negative.

And a loss is a loss but people want to take a close loss to MSU and make it into something big. Or turn a loss to OSU into if they didn't have Evan Turner we might have beat them twice. It goes both ways and when you are in the worst 3 year swing in school history some people are going to be negative.

There is a big difference in being negative, and being negative all the time about everything. Iowa came back from what, 11 or 13 down at East Lansing to make it close at the end. They played a good game, and that is what people were pleased about.

Instead of constantly complaining about everything (even when they win!) some people look for positives and signs of improvement.

Great win but I don't think anyone is waiting to poo poo it as some of you say. I think it is quiet because the first quality win of the season is not a sign this team is and or is going to be at the level it should be at and has been in the past. I hope this is the turning point but doubt it. Good win though!

There is a big difference in being negative, and being negative all the time about everything. Iowa came back from what, 11 or 13 down at East Lansing to make it close at the end. They played a good game, and that is what people were pleased about.

Instead of constantly complaining about everything (even when they win!) some people look for positives and signs of improvement.

And we've played this look for signs of improvement game before. We've been looking for signs of improvement for almost 3 years now. I would think its about time that we start seeing some consistant improvement instead of having to search for it.

And we've played this look for signs of improvement game before. We've been looking for signs of improvement for almost 3 years now. I would think its about time that we start seeing some consistant improvement instead of having to search for it.

And outside of the Michigan game, wouldn't you say that you've seen it?

Last edited:
Just curious what makes you say they are on an upswing?

Gee I don't know, maybe the fact that they have played FAR better over the last month (outside of the Michigan game), and that we have just one senior, so we should expect to see everybody back, and we also add what looks like a pretty good recruiting class. It's not shown in the win column yet, but the improvement is there. And an upswing means they're improving. Just not as fast as we'd all like.

Good win. The team played well, defended very well and finally took advantage of what the defense was giving them without turning it over.

As far as it being quiet, what do you want people to say? It's the 9th win of the season, the 3rd Big Ten win. I think most people are waiting for some consistency before lighting up the message board with great support of Iowa basetkball. You aren't going to change the haters' minds by beating a team for the 39th time in their last 41 trips to CHA.

Go Hawks!

Iowa wins - crickets.

It's sad in that regard.

Iowa wins - crickets?

Because Iowa is supposed to win. Iowa should be expected to win. It shouldn't be news when Iowa wins.

Negative Nellies are true fans who expect more from this program.

Latest posts