Sure is quiet on here...

First, I’m happy... scratch that... thrilled with how Iowa played tonight. As Jon said in his front page story, we've seen glimpses of great play from this team. They finally put it together for most of a game.

However.... I still have to temper my enthusiasm. This team is notorious for taking one step forward & two steps back. Given the teams volitility and lack of consistancy, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not happy I'm feeling that way, it's just that I've been down this path before with this team only to get crushed later.

Great job by the team last night. I hope they can put together a string of games like this.

Always great to get a win! It was nice to see the players smiling with 8 minutes left in the game because they were in total control. NW had chances to takes Iowa's lead to single digits but never really could. I predicted 4-5 Big 10 wins before the Big 10 season started and I think the team gets there! Heck I say they get 5 total Big 10 wins.

I am anxious to for the start of the 2010-2011 season. I want to see if a deeper team will translate into some more success!

Some of us have a life. I didn't get to watch the game and the game didn't get tivo'd so I won't be able to watch it so no real comments on the game.

I won both sides. I took Iowa to win (money line) and the over so I was happy. NW is still NW and Iowa is still Iowa.

Last nights game didn't change my opinion of Lick one bit by the way. I remember a previous coach who's name escapes me that would pull a rabbit out of his hat just when you thought the last nail was being driven in. We won at home to NW. Not exactly that impressive.

This is a pretty cynical outlook

A win is a win

I predicted 4-5 Big 10 wins before the Big 10 season started and I think the team gets there!

I think I was saying that I thought the team will still end up around 3-4 wins at the end of December, and we're in that territory now. I think the team will definitely win another game or two, so they possibly could match last year's 5-13. That didn't look possible a month ago.

I'm not bragging on 5-13, but it highlights the fact that I think the team has improved its overall play in the past month.

Next year.. With practically everyone back (assuming no transfers of course) and add another recruiting class, I see NO reason whatsoever why this team can't/shouldn't get close to .500 in the conference next year. 7-11 or 8-10 seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for next year. Can they get to .500?

It isn't a game we often see anymore...nine white guys on the floor at one time playing most of the game, equal in talent. At least we were able to match up with them one on one with no problem and we were as quick as they were. The only other team I can think of that might have this many white guys would be BYU (I haven't seen them this year).

If they had worn short pants the game would have been a flashback to the 50's, stlye of play and all...just not something we see these days.

But it was a nice win for them. And because we are a bad road team and they are a good home team we will probably split the series.

Neither team had to worry about the other having a point guard break down their player at will like an Evan Turner. These teams will probably really enjoy playing each other in the future...nice change of pace for them not getting beat all the time and getting to play man to man and playing tough defense.

They got to go inside this game because of matchups. NW was missing their best player but even then they have been playing pretty good ball just not on the road. NW didn't play well on defense and Iowa shot well.

This will turn into a great series of equal athletic talent and similar slow down style of bb in the future-- NW/Iowa. There should be some future exciting games in the 40s between these two teams.

I think I would have preferred tough Iowa/MSU or Iowa/Indiana series but it is what is with Lickliter these days.

After that throw up of a post, I am just not sure I can take you seriously anymore. I know we have been on the opposite sides of the fence, but that was ridiculous. I could break it down paragraph by paragraph but you are so far off with most of you points that it may be best not even trying to debate with you because your thoughts regarding Iowa basketball and Coach Lickliter are off the charts.

I think I was saying that I thought the team will still end up around 3-4 wins at the end of December, and we're in that territory now. I think the team will definitely win another game or two, so they possibly could match last year's 5-13. That didn't look possible a month ago.

I'm not bragging on 5-13, but it highlights the fact that I think the team has improved its overall play in the past month.

Next year.. With practically everyone back (assuming no transfers of course) and add another recruiting class, I see NO reason whatsoever why this team can't/shouldn't get close to .500 in the conference next year. 7-11 or 8-10 seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for next year. Can they get to .500?

Have you ignored the posts about Lick's teams here have never been run out of the building? They have always been close in terms of the score because of the style of the system, not necessarily because of the improvement of the team. However, I do agree that this team has improved somewhat, but do I think that this improvement will ever get them out of the basement? Nope

And Spank please stop calling that Northwestern team a bubble team. With their resume their was no way they were going to see the tournament, and this just solidifies it more.

It isn't a game we often see anymore...nine white guys on the floor at one time playing most of the game, equal in talent. At least we were able to match up with them one on one with no problem and we were as quick as they were. The only other team I can think of that might have this many white guys would be BYU (I haven't seen them this year).

enough with this crap... you manage to insult white people and black people at the same time... no small feat.

eric may is one of the top 2-3 freshman in the big ten. at 6-5/220, he is as athletic for his size as anyone in the league. what he gives up in terms of a quick first step he gains back in vertical leap and strength. if you just see a white guy who is "equal in talent" with everyone else on the court, i feel bad for you.

First, I’m happy... scratch that... thrilled with how Iowa played tonight. As Jon said in his front page story, we've seen glimpses of great play from this team. They finally put it together for most of a game.

However.... I still have to temper my enthusiasm. This team is notorious for taking one step forward & two steps back. Given the teams volitility and lack of consistancy, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not happy I'm feeling that way, it's just that I've been down this path before with this team only to get crushed later.

Great job by the team last night. I hope they can put together a string of games like this.

That's pretty much my reaction to the game. It was great to see them win and win handily against a team with a winning record. I thought the defense, rebounding and overall intensity were excellent.

However, the statistic that figured most prominently in the outcome, by far, was shooting. Fifty percent overall and fifty percent from "3", with 12 3's overall. I would guess those are season highs across the board.

When a team whose offense is so focused on three point shots hits 50% for the game, you're going to beat a lot of people. The question is to what extent can we maintain that? With this offense, we almost have to hit three's at a good clip to have a chance to win. Our best returning shooters have been having off seasons, so this was a little more like "normal" (and then some) for a change.

On the other hand, I am encouraged by the fact that we're looking to get the ball inside more and doing a better job of it than in the recent past, both by passing into the post and by driving. I'm particularly encouraged by the continued incremental improvement of Fuller, because he looks like the best bet of anyone on the team to develop into someone who can put the ball on the floor and create a shot when needed. The fact that he can score with either hand inside makes him hard to guard, and if he can add the outside shot to his arsenal on a more regular basis, he could be something this team desperately needs: A go-to guy who does something other than stand outside the three point line.

Not that there's anything wrong with standing outside the three point line, if you can hit 50% of them as a team. I'd gladly take a whole season of that.

We shot lights out and NW couldn't hit anything. We got lucky to win tonight, if bawinkel has a normal game, we maybe win by 2 or 3. To bad the Big Ten tourny isn't played at Iowa City. That is about the only place we can shoot well. Still not impressed though, the hawks should of blown them out of the water!

Hard to say that Iowa got lucky when they won by 13, and had leads of as big as 19 in the 2nd half.

Iowa flat out kicked the **** out of jNW last night.

That's pretty much my reaction to the game. It was great to see them win and win handily against a team with a winning record. I thought the defense, rebounding and overall intensity were excellent.

However, the statistic that figured most prominently in the outcome, by far, was shooting. Fifty percent overall and fifty percent from "3", with 12 3's overall. I would guess those are season highs across the board.

When a team whose offense is so focused on three point shots hits 50% for the game, you're going to beat a lot of people. The question is to what extent can we maintain that? With this offense, we almost have to hit three's at a good clip to have a chance to win. Our best returning shooters have been having off seasons, so this was a little more like "normal" (and then some) for a change.

On the other hand, I am encouraged by the fact that we're looking to get the ball inside more and doing a better job of it than in the recent past, both by passing into the post and by driving. I'm particularly encouraged by the continued incremental improvement of Fuller, because he looks like the best bet of anyone on the team to develop into someone who can put the ball on the floor and create a shot when needed. The fact that he can score with either hand inside makes him hard to guard, and if he can add the outside shot to his arsenal on a more regular basis, he could be something this team desperately needs: A go-to guy who does something other than stand outside the three point line.

Not that there's anything wrong with standing outside the three point line, if you can hit 50% of them as a team. I'd gladly take a whole season of that.

They're probably aren't many teams in the country that could maintain shooting 50% from three over the course of a season. jNW played a defense that invited Iowa to shoot it from downtown, and that's exactly what Iowa did.

Some posts in this thread really crack me up, even when they win people find a way to find something to hate on.

Good stuff.

Almost like some people are p i s s ed that we won. Its extremely weird

The haters will be out in full force on Saturday after the Purdue game

Have you ignored the posts about Lick's teams here have never been run out of the building? They have always been close in terms of the score because of the style of the system, not necessarily because of the improvement of the team. However, I do agree that this team has improved somewhat, but do I think that this improvement will ever get them out of the basement? Nope

And Spank please stop calling that Northwestern team a bubble team. With their resume their was no way they were going to see the tournament, and this just solidifies it more.

Lickliter's teams have never been run out of the building? Really? Did you miss the BTT game against Michigan last year? This year's Minnesota game? Last year's games @Michigan and @ Purdue (down by 30 at one point in those two).

I'm not sure what to expect to happen. But I think it's reasonable to expect that next year's team improve over this year, and win more conference games. If that doesn't happen, then I think Lick's job is in trouble.

It is odd that 12345, HawkIReign, and TCHawk haven't said anything in this thread, isn't it?

I posted on page 5 and I gave them credit for the win. That was actual entertainment for once this season. One good game doesn't change my thoughts on Lickliter in any way but I had fun watching it. Now if they could do that all the time I'd be more than happy but I just don't think thats the style of basketball that wins BT games.

Lickliter's teams have never been run out of the building? Really? Did you miss the BTT game against Michigan last year? This year's Minnesota game? Last year's games @Michigan and @ Purdue (down by 30 at one point in those two).

I'm not sure what to expect to happen. But I think it's reasonable to expect that next year's team improve over this year, and win more conference games. If that doesn't happen, then I think Lick's job is in trouble.

I am sorry if my post was not clear but I was talking about the average points per loss. Of course almost every bottom dwelling team will have some bad games, but a lot of Iowa's losses are very close and that is the product of the system. Of course the terrible part of the system is that those close games almost always result in close L's, not close W's.

I posted on page 5 and I gave them credit for the win. That was actual entertainment for once this season. One good game doesn't change my thoughts on Lickliter in any way but I had fun watching it. Now if they could do that all the time I'd be more than happy but I just don't think thats the style of basketball that wins BT games.

Your not allowed to be realistic on here, everything is great, this team will be in the sweet 16 next year. The win last night changes everything, this Iowa program has turned the corner because of that win. All the haters are wrong because we beat Northwestern last night, its all over, Iowa basketball is back. Anyone who says anything truthful about the team is a hater, they just hate the team, were true fans on here. Blah blah blah...

:rolleyes:

Your not allowed to be realistic on here, everything is great, this team will be in the sweet 16 next year. The win last night changes everything, this Iowa program has turned the corner because of that win. All the haters are wrong because we beat Northwestern last night, its all over, Iowa basketball is back. Anyone who says anything truthful about the team is a hater, they just hate the team, were true fans on here. Blah blah blah...

:rolleyes:

I think people need to be way less negative on here, but I'm not gonna call Sweet Sixteen next year, or even the year after. I think the NIT is a goal they can achieve, and the NCAA the year after. The program is on an upswing, albeit a slower one than we'd all like.

So those of us that find time to watch Iowa BB have no life? Interesting.

You know that's not what I'm saying. I was saying that there are times that I have other more pressing matters to attend to than watch Iowa play ball. In a normal year I am going to do everything I can to re-arrange my schedule in order to watch the game. Not this year. I left the house not even worrying about whether the game was going to be recorded. Never happened before. I did technically 'watch' the game on my blackberry following it on fox sports game trax but since I didn't actually see any of the game then I'm not going to comment on the game.

I am sorry if my post was not clear but I was talking about the average points per loss. Of course almost every bottom dwelling team will have some bad games, but a lot of Iowa's losses are very close and that is the product of the system. Of course the terrible part of the system is that those close games almost always result in close L's, not close W's.

You could also say that a lot of those close losses are due to inexperience within the system. They go hand in hand, and it's not unrealistic (is that a word) to think that if everyone comes back that some of these close losses will turn into wins next season.

Hell, how many wins better do you think this team is if Jake Kelly had stayed? I'd say 3 or 4, easy.

Latest posts