Starting D next year?

Well, Reiff worked his way into the rotation at DE the last 2 games and Brinks got reps early in the season, so with AJ coming on board, there should be some great competition at DE! That's a good problem to have, don't ya think?

Actually Reiff was playing on the interior. LTG

Well, dipshit, I was the first one to talk about Nelson moving to DT after the spring game after seeing how good A. Nelson was. But don't let facts get in the way of your delusions. I wasn't trying to make any bold predictions about next years line-up, just pointing out the obvious so we have something to talk about between now and the bowl game. And you did notice I have a question mark by Epenesa's name, didn't you? Do you know what that means? I still think they should red-shirt him, because he won't start, but I didn't know who else to plug there since at this point I/we know so little about all the DLinemen that came in last year. We do have depth at DE now, so Epenesa has quite a few people to jump to see the field. Oh, and I didn't say Epenesa would redshirt because of our tremendous depth, I said we wouldn't sign Van Ginkel because of it. Nice talking to you loser...you'll never win one this century.......

Dipshit, why that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I love your revisionist history and claims of being first. You are a legend in your own mind. I'll give you the Van Ginkel take, but it's cancelled out by all the other moronic posts (our run defense was great against ISU and really looking good) and omnipotent things you think you've done or said first. It's pretty easy for something to happen then claim you called it. Let me try. Icke will call me dipshit then proceed to revise history to make him feel good about himself. How'd I do?

Last edited:
Needless to say it'll be an interesting shake up on the Dline. I think the rest of the the D is pretty predictable on how it'll line up. Long ways till next year. I just hope Stanley is ready to be the man and he can get a couple of reliable receivers (not to mention play caller) that can help him out. I'm not as worried about the defense as I am the O

That there were some REALLY good LB's in the conference this year? Hell, Jewell is a Butkus finalist and he didn't even make 1st team on either team....SO WHAT DOES THAT SAY.... EINSTEIN? You definetly are 'special'....

A person that has to throw out insults is a person who deflects because there viewpoint is weak. You talk about the ''crazies' but the coaches in this league did not even award Bower's exceptional play with honorable mention. Add the league coaches to your list of crazies. I could have sworn you posted earlier this season that Bower would be all B1G this year based on his play?

Bower tries incredibly hard he's just likely not one of the best 3 LBs on this team. Plenty of evidence that some very good players ride the pine. A perfect example is Anthony Gair. Had it not been for injury he would have never seen the field and quite frankly his performance in limited action is much better than both Taylor & Snyder. Probably not a favorite.

Let's look at real statistical production from our 3 starting LBs.....

Solo tackles - Jewell 50, Bower 41, Neimann 35

TFLs - Jewell 5, Neimann 3, Bower 0.5
(Gair had 1 in 3 games played)

Forced Fumbles - Jewell 1, Bower 1, Neimann 0

Sacks - Jewell 0.5, Neimann 0, Bower 0

QB Hurries - Jewell 5, Neimann 1, Bower 0

INTs - Neimann 1, Jewell 0, Bower 0

Pass Break Ups - Jewell 8, Neimann 4, Bower 4

Total impact plays not including solo tackles....

Jewell 19.5, Neimann 9, Bower 5.5

The coaches would serve their own interests if they stopped getting smaller linemen to bulk up and get more guys like JJ.

And there is the biggest challenge of the "development" program. tough to get those ready made DT, when there is a "miss" or attrition, causes a big depth issue. to a lesser extent I think the same goes for other positions(safety). Harder to say the same for some skill positions(especially with a Davis offense). I think the one position very difficult for frosh to play in Iowa's scheme is Oline (unless truly gifted...and smart)

Tough to be truly elite without great lines and depth therein (Alabama is a great example of this, yes they have great skill positions, but their true dominance is their lines...crazy talent and depth)

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, related to Iowa's defense hinges on the defensive tackles under KF.

2005 is a perfect example. We had both Greenway and Hodge back as LBs and they got eaten up pretty good all year because 1st year starters (and severely undersized) King and Kroul just couldn't keep OLs off of Greenway and Hodge.

So because of that, I'm not as sold on the defense next year yet due to the lack of experienced bodies at DT.

Great point here. Bazata is back and he has had some quality playing time, legit number 1. I think some of the speculation is right on the board here that maybe one of the de's move inside. For some reason I always thought Hesse would be the guy to move inside just because of how tough he is at anchoring and fighting off blocks. I get the Nelson move in concept also. Sam Brinks has had some really productive snaps in mop up time. I think he has two sacks this season. He's huge, kinda moves like (not saying he is anywhere near the league of) Jaleel. I could really see him opposite Bazata as well.

A person that has to throw out insults is a person who deflects because there viewpoint is weak. You talk about the ''crazies' but the coaches in this league did not even award Bower's exceptional play with honorable mention. Add the league coaches to your list of crazies. I could have sworn you posted earlier this season that Bower would be all B1G this year based on his play?

Bower tries incredibly hard he's just likely not one of the best 3 LBs on this team. Plenty of evidence that some very good players ride the pine. A perfect example is Anthony Gair. Had it not been for injury he would have never seen the field and quite frankly his performance in limited action is much better than both Taylor & Snyder. Probably not a favorite.

Let's look at real statistical production from our 3 starting LBs.....

Solo tackles - Jewell 50, Bower 41, Neimann 35

TFLs - Jewell 5, Neimann 3, Bower 0.5
(Gair had 1 in 3 games played)

Forced Fumbles - Jewell 1, Bower 1, Neimann 0

Sacks - Jewell 0.5, Neimann 0, Bower 0

QB Hurries - Jewell 5, Neimann 1, Bower 0

INTs - Neimann 1, Jewell 0, Bower 0

Pass Break Ups - Jewell 8, Neimann 4, Bower 4

Total impact plays not including solo tackles....

Jewell 19.5, Neimann 9, Bower 5.5
Tackles aren't impact plays??? Bahahaha...like I keep saying, you are some kind of special.You didn't even address my question about Jewell and you don't bother to mention that Neimann wasn't named to any teams also. Since they blitz Jewell the most (they blitzed Neimann a couple times and Bower none) You would expect Jewell to have more sacks and QB hurries. LB's that are in coverage every pass play aren't going to have any sacks or QB hurries you fricken genius, lol............Where do you 'crazies' come from??? Oh, and PLEASE present your 'evidence' about all the good players riding the pine, lol. You do understand what 'evidence' is, don't you?

Dipshit, why that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I love your revisionist history and claims of being first. You are a legend in your own mind. I'll give you the Van Ginkel take, but it's cancelled out by all the other moronic posts (our run defense was great against ISU and really looking good) and omnipotent things you think you've done or said first. It's pretty easy for something to happen then claim you called it. Let me try. Icke will call me dipshit then proceed to revise history to make him feel good about himself. How'd I do?
Revisionist history??? You make some delusional claim that I just now thought of moving Nelson to DT because I read it 250 times and I corrected you. How is that revising history? Wouldn't you have to establish the 'history' (with evidence) in order to revise it you stupid twit? You lose again. But, you are a tenacious little twit who just keeps coming back for more.....but you keep bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Actually Reiff was playing on the interior. LTG
When was Reiff 'playing the interior'? Against Illinois, he played DE and came ofthe edge to help with a TFL and according to the 'participation' chart against Nebby, he didn't even play although he was listed on the pregame depth chart at DEFENSIVE END. But what do the coaches know, they get confused between DE and DT all the time....

Tackles aren't impact plays??? Bahahaha...like I keep saying, you are some kind of special.You didn't even address my question about Jewell and you don't bother to mention that Neimann wasn't named to any teams also. Since they blitz Jewell the most (they blitzed Neimann a couple times and Bower none) You would expect Jewell to have more sacks and QB hurries. LB's that are in coverage every pass play aren't going to have any sacks or QB hurries you fricken genius, lol............Where do you 'crazies' come from??? Oh, and PLEASE present your 'evidence' about all the good players riding the pine, lol. You do understand what 'evidence' is, don't you?

I presented numbers and you presented verbal excuses for lack of performance. You indicate that Jewell blitzes more and Bower never did so how about pass break ups? Jewell had 8 Bower 4. Jewell is blitzing a ton according to you and he has more pass breakups?

I did list solo tackles which Bower had 41 to Jewell 50, Neimann 35. You ask why I did not list them as impact plays which is a valid question. The reason is tackles can be a very deceptive stat as you do not know how many yards from the LOS a tackle was made and under what circumstances. As an example Bower could get credit for a solo tackle made 5 yards from the LOS in his fit/gap but a better performing LB might have reacted quicker to the play or was faster filling the fit/gap making the tackle within 2 yards of the LOS. That's a net gain of 3 yards for the opponent due to our player so it's 2 & 5 instead of 2 & 8. That 3 yards might be the difference between getting a 3 & out or allowing a team to extend a drive further taxing the defense. There is no stat also for missed plays/fits/assignments and poor/ slow reads as we know. That is also why I want to see the TFL numbers which Bower had 0.5 after playing the entire season. Yes a half a play made behind the LOS. Fewer than Jewell and Neimann. Could Mends or Jones had that kind of production or better than Bower? Remember he surpassed the projected starter Mends in the last weeks and ended up with few impact plays and a half a tackle behind the LOS. We'll never know because players like Mends & Jones were kept off the field even when the second teamers were in during a blow out. Coincidence?

I also never said anything about Neimann's performance being worthy of all B1G consideration because it was not. As I mentioned before did you not post earlier this year that Bower would be all B1G? You never confirmed or denied that?

Proof of good players riding the pine I gave you one in Gair that you never commented on. How about Rumgamba?

M. Nelson isn't moving to DT at 6'8. Someone said it earlier, but it would just be way too difficult for him to get the kind of leverage he would need to compete on the inside. If we see him at DT then that'll be a sure fire sign to me that we're really weak inside, but I don't think that's the case.

I still think Austin Schulte is going to end up being a stud. I could see him being moved to the interior because of the depth they will have on the ends.

Latest posts