Starting D next year?

Nice work there Icke, you removed the Seniors and basically shifted the two deep left...really heady stuff and ripe with football knowledge and insight. It's also impressive that you have picked up on the several hundred posts projecting Matt Nelson to DT since he's 282 now and will be 290 by next fall and he's beginning to move like a DT.

Honestly, I couldn't be more impressed and can't wait to see what you come up with on offense for 2017. I hope it's something insightful like James Daniels to center or Matt Vandenburg starting in the slot. Seriously...I can't wait.

Lastly, you've posted previously that AJ would redshirt because of the tremendous depth at DE. So you've now seen the light?
Well, dipshit, I was the first one to talk about Nelson moving to DT after the spring game after seeing how good A. Nelson was. But don't let facts get in the way of your delusions. I wasn't trying to make any bold predictions about next years line-up, just pointing out the obvious so we have something to talk about between now and the bowl game. And you did notice I have a question mark by Epenesa's name, didn't you? Do you know what that means? I still think they should red-shirt him, because he won't start, but I didn't know who else to plug there since at this point I/we know so little about all the DLinemen that came in last year. We do have depth at DE now, so Epenesa has quite a few people to jump to see the field. Oh, and I didn't say Epenesa would redshirt because of our tremendous depth, I said we wouldn't sign Van Ginkel because of it. Nice talking to you loser...you'll never win one this century.......

All the linebackers are strong, no problem there.

Also at defensive tackle Brady Rieff has been practicing there the past 2 weeks. That could be in the plans for next year as well.
I agree on the LB's and I think the depth is really good there also. It's nice when we don't have to throw young LB's to the wolves (like we did Bower in 2014 and Morris his freshman year, etc.) and they can develop. I have to question Reiff practicing at DT the last 2 weeks since he has appeared in the last 2 games at DE. One doesn't normally practice a t one position and play in a game at another. And I'm not even sure they've practiced since the Nebby game, have they?

Bower received criticism from Hawkeyegamefilm early in the season. Not much mention in the middle. He was receiving praise at the end of the season. We should not let our first impressions blind us to improvements.

First impressions? More like "body of work". He was bad last year too.

And he did not make even honorable mention all B1G coaches or media... what does that say?
That there were some REALLY good LB's in the conference this year? Hell, Jewell is a Butkus finalist and he didn't even make 1st team on either team....SO WHAT DOES THAT SAY.... EINSTEIN? You definetly are 'special'....

The only ?mark is the line interior, IMO. Defense will go as the line goes.
I agree, but we only have to fill one spot on the Dline. It's a big one to fill (thus the ?), but if somebody steps up there (and I think they will) we are in good shape...don't you think?

First impressions? More like "body of work". He was bad last year too.
He was bad last year? He did a great job subbing at 2 positions last year when Fisher and Neimann got hurt, especially the Nebraska game last year. Try to know what you're talking about....I'm embarrassed for you.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, related to Iowa's defense hinges on the defensive tackles under KF.

2005 is a perfect example. We had both Greenway and Hodge back as LBs and they got eaten up pretty good all year because 1st year starters (and severely undersized) King and Kroul just couldn't keep OLs off of Greenway and Hodge.

So because of that, I'm not as sold on the defense next year yet due to the lack of experienced bodies at DT.

Not sure he can hold up in there, especially against the run.
Ya, I think Anthony is still a little to light in the britches to play the 1 or 3 tech. Matt on the other hand greatly improved playing with leverage as the year went on and could easily play at 300 lbs. on that frame.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, related to Iowa's defense hinges on the defensive tackles under KF.

2005 is a perfect example. We had both Greenway and Hodge back as LBs and they got eaten up pretty good all year because 1st year starters (and severely undersized) King and Kroul just couldn't keep OLs off of Greenway and Hodge.

So because of that, I'm not as sold on the defense next year yet due to the lack of experienced bodies at DT.
Solid point. Let's hope they get a couple people ready to step up. I think they can?

Isn't Matt Nelson 6'8"? Certainly not impossible and I'm sure it's been done at some point, but the interior DL is all about leverage and at that height, he'd be at a bit of an inherent disadvantage. But you never know...
Solid point! That's why I mentioned how much he's improved his pad level and leverage this year and that will be a huge ? whether he can play in there or not.

Solid point. Let's hope they get a couple people ready to step up. I think they can?

I think Lattimore certainly has the body for it....remains to be seen if he has the motor. And I like the idea of M. Nelson moving inside because from what I'm hearing Gholston (sp?) has been looking pretty good in practice at the DE spot. Might be a way to have Nelson, Bazzata, and Lattimore as the 3 rotating DTs and Hesse, A. Nelson and Gholston at the DE rotation....

Serious question Icke. Why the insults when someone has a different take on a topic? You can post insightful thoughts then vile follows.
It is only directed to a small group of 'crazies' on this site who attack anyone who tries to question their delusions. I don't respond that way to everyone who has a different perspective.

I think Lattimore certainly has the body for it....remains to be seen if he has the motor. And I like the idea of M. Nelson moving inside because from what I'm hearing Gholston (sp?) has been looking pretty good in practice at the DE spot. Might be a way to have Nelson, Bazzata, and Lattimore as the 3 rotating DTs and Hesse, A. Nelson and Gholston at the DE rotation....
Well, Reiff worked his way into the rotation at DE the last 2 games and Brinks got reps early in the season, so with AJ coming on board, there should be some great competition at DE! That's a good problem to have, don't ya think?

And he did not make even honorable mention all B1G coaches or media... what does that say?

That there are some better players than him in the league, but that doesn't make him bad. Akrum Wadley was only honorable mention so he must be terrible to eh?

Not to rain on anyone's parade but AJ plays DE in the 3-4 defense. He is currently 275-280 I think. I hav eheard he will be tried at both DE and DT most likely.

He was bad last year? He did a great job subbing at 2 positions last year when Fisher and Neimann got hurt, especially the Nebraska game last year. Try to know what you're talking about....I'm embarrassed for you.

Stick to being embarrassed for yourself...that should keep you plenty busy.

Latest posts