Starting D next year?

When was Reiff 'playing the interior'? Against Illinois, he played DE and came ofthe edge to help with a TFL and according to the 'participation' chart against Nebby, he didn't even play although he was listed on the pregame depth chart at DEFENSIVE END. But what do the coaches know, they get confused between DE and DT all the time....

You are going off the depth chart...lol. you don't know Ferentz. LTF

I presented numbers and you presented verbal excuses for lack of performance. You indicate that Jewell blitzes more and Bower never did so how about pass break ups? Jewell had 8 Bower 4. Jewell is blitzing a ton according to you and he has more pass breakups?

I did list solo tackles which Bower had 41 to Jewell 50, Neimann 35. You ask why I did not list them as impact plays which is a valid question. The reason is tackles can be a very deceptive stat as you do not know how many yards from the LOS a tackle was made and under what circumstances. As an example Bower could get credit for a solo tackle made 5 yards from the LOS in his fit/gap but a better performing LB might have reacted quicker to the play or was faster filling the fit/gap making the tackle within 2 yards of the LOS. That's a net gain of 3 yards for the opponent due to our player so it's 2 & 5 instead of 2 & 8. That 3 yards might be the difference between getting a 3 & out or allowing a team to extend a drive further taxing the defense. There is no stat also for missed plays/fits/assignments and poor/ slow reads as we know. That is also why I want to see the TFL numbers which Bower had 0.5 after playing the entire season. Yes a half a play made behind the LOS. Fewer than Jewell and Neimann. Could Mends or Jones had that kind of production or better than Bower? Remember he surpassed the projected starter Mends in the last weeks and ended up with few impact plays and a half a tackle behind the LOS. We'll never know because players like Mends & Jones were kept off the field even when the second teamers were in during a blow out. Coincidence?

I also never said anything about Neimann's performance being worthy of all B1G consideration because it was not. As I mentioned before did you not post earlier this year that Bower would be all B1G? You never confirmed or denied that?

Proof of good players riding the pine I gave you one in Gair that you never commented on. How about Rumgamba?

I think you make some really good points, and it is possible that other players may generate more "impact" plays. But on defense especially, while the 2 yard gain is better than the 5 yard gain, the 5 yard gain is way better than the completely blown assignment resulting in a 20+ yard run. I can understand how you can talk yourself into the safe pick when the consequences for a mental error can be so high.

I also think weighing the benefit of a big play vs. the cost of a mistake changes depending upon position. For a WR you probably weigh more heavily upon playmaking, for a LB or DB I think you have to be confident that mistakes will not happen that lead to 6 against you.

Revisionist history??? You make some delusional claim that I just now thought of moving Nelson to DT because I read it 250 times and I corrected you. How is that revising history? Wouldn't you have to establish the 'history' (with evidence) in order to revise it you stupid twit? You lose again. But, you are a tenacious little twit who just keeps coming back for more.....but you keep bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Unlike you, my ego doesn't compel me to spend hours searching for a post to prove I'm right or denigrate someone else's opinion. The reality is that I'm sure you aren't able to buy a gun in the first place...you have to be on some sort of mental instability list somewhere. Do you ever wake up and the walls in your room have padding? Do you ever wake up and another man's penis is wedged in your butt cheeks? By answering these questions, I'll be able to figure out if your problem is psychological or criminal and point you in the direction of getting help.

Reactions: trj
'17 Iowa starting D will have a lot of experienced guys but will lose it's two most talented guys and best play makers to the NFL. Returning Jewell helps a lot. Fairly sure Rugumba & Jackson will work themselves into excellent starting CBs but will likely have some growing pains. Snyder appears to be on the upswing of his development curve and hopefully Taylor can reboot himself for '17. If not Hooker will have a full year under his belt & hopefully at least push'm for reps.

All 3 LBs return and Niemann looked worlds better when he was healthy in 2nd half of the season. WLB w/Bower is still not a strength and I see him more as a solid backup and ST guy but apparently the other options must have been worse. Depth at LB is a big question mark, only really saw Ward and Hockaday in '16 and it was pretty clear each guy only saw the field when absolutely necessary.

DL development will be the crux of the '17 D I think, especially DT. 99 is capable of giving you solid reps there but seems better served to be in a rotation with some other active bodies. Iowa really needs 95 to develop in Bowl prep, spring ball and roll into fall camp ready to play significant snaps. Seems like they're looking for answers at DT having moved Newborg back to DT and trying Reiff out on the inside as well. JUCO isn't a route Iowa likes to go but man it'd be nice to have at least one more semi-proven rotation level player in the mix.

98 is already a very good pass rush threat but needs to be more consistent vs run. 96 doesn't seem to have pass rush tools to get the edge consistently but seemed to hold up vs the run well. 40 is a solid contributor at DE and has played pretty well down the stretch in '16. Gholson and Simon both impressed me in brief viewing in fall camp and both seem to have pass rush skill-sets and could factor int here in '17. If the Epenesa kid can come in and contribute right away that'd be a bonus as well; HS highlights show a blend of power and speed Iowa could definitely use.

Last edited:
'17 Iowa starting D will have a lot of experienced guys but will lose it's two most talented guys and best play makers to the NFL. Returning Jewell helps a lot. Fairly sure Rugumba & Johnson will work themselves into excellent starting CBs but will likely have some growing pains. Snyder appears to be on the upswing of his development curve and hopefully Taylor can reboot himself for '17. If not Hooker will have a full year under his belt & hopefully at least push'm for reps.

All 3 LBs return and Niemann looked worlds better when he was healthy in 2nd half of the season. WLB w/Bower is still not a strength and I see him more as a solid backup and ST guy but apparently the other options must have been worse. Depth at LB is a big question mark, only really saw Ward and Hockaday in '16 and it was pretty clear each guy only saw the field when absolutely necessary.

DL development will be the crux of the '17 D I think, especially DT. 99 is capable of giving you solid reps there but seems better served to be in a rotation with some other active bodies. Iowa really needs 95 to develop in Bowl prep, spring ball and roll into fall camp ready to play significant snaps. Seems like they're looking for answers at DT having moved Newborg back to DT and trying Reiff out on the inside as well. JUCO isn't a route Iowa likes to go but man it'd be nice to have at least one more semi-proven rotation level player in the mix.

98 is already a very good pass rush threat but needs to be more consistent vs run. 96 doesn't seem to have pass rush tools to get the edge consistently but seemed to hold up vs the run ok well. 40 is a solid contributor at DE and has played down the stretch in '16. Gholson and Simon both impressed me in brief viewing in fall camp and both seem to have pass rush skill-sets and could factor int here in '17. If the Epenesa kid can come in and contribute right away that'd be a bonus as well; HS highlights show a blend of power and speed Iowa could definitely use.

Hey Icke, try to emulate this type of post. Maybe people wouldn't think you are such a douche.

You are going off the depth chart...lol. you don't know Ferentz. LTF
The depth chart may not always be accurate as to who is truly 2nd team, but they don't list WR's at RB or LB's at SS or DT's at DE, etc...The position someone is playing is normally correct, especially late in the year when they have things sorted out. But a couple people said he played DT against Nebby and that is totally false.
Unlike you, my ego doesn't compel me to spend hours searching for a post to prove I'm right or denigrate someone else's opinion. The reality is that I'm sure you aren't able to buy a gun in the first place...you have to be on some sort of mental instability list somewhere. Do you ever wake up and the walls in your room have padding? Do you ever wake up and another man's penis is wedged in your butt cheeks? By answering these questions, I'll be able to figure out if your problem is psychological or criminal and point you in the direction of getting help.
Something that can be proven wrong or right is NOT an opinion you dumb ********. Good grief, where do you ignoramuses come from? You run your mouths off without a CLUE what you're talking about and call it an opinion. You and the other 'crazies' on this site are the unstable ones.......Oh, and I've woke up with my own penis wedged between my butt cheeks....what does that tell you Dr. Phil??? That was your best attempt at an insult? And the post you're responding to wasn't directed at you and wasn't insulting.......You lose again! Do yourself a favor and shut the hell up and try to learn something, ok......................

Hey Icke, try to emulate this type of post. Maybe people wouldn't think you are such a douche.
Why would I want to emulate someone who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about? What corner do we have named Johnson? And he's going to stand by his guns about Bower? Lol... What a clown. And most of what he's saying is just repeating things that I've posted in the past.....And I've already shown in the past that gamefilm is nothing but a wannabe with a good vocabulary.......

I think you make some really good points, and it is possible that other players may generate more "impact" plays. But on defense especially, while the 2 yard gain is better than the 5 yard gain, the 5 yard gain is way better than the completely blown assignment resulting in a 20+ yard run. I can understand how you can talk yourself into the safe pick when the consequences for a mental error can be so high.

I also think weighing the benefit of a big play vs. the cost of a mistake changes depending upon position. For a WR you probably weigh more heavily upon playmaking, for a LB or DB I think you have to be confident that mistakes will not happen that lead to 6 against you.

Good post and yes I agree that all of these aspects come into the evaluation coaches have to make. It's completely fair that hard stats alone especially on defense may not tell the complete story of a player's performance or value to the overall unit.

That's why it's also interesting to see who the other league coaches vote for all B1G as they watch our film for scouts & building game plans as well as review the actual games played for teaching & evaluation. They notice performance both good and bad. They know which of our players present a challenge to what they want to get done.

Why would I want to emulate someone who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about? What corner do we have named Johnson? And he's going to stand by his guns about Bower? Lol... What a clown. And most of what he's saying is just repeating things that I've posted in the past.....And I've already shown in the past that gamefilm is nothing but a wannabe with a good vocabulary.......

Guys, I think we have found the real life Neidermeyer from Animal House. Icke fits the bill. "Killed in Vietnam, by his own troops." This douche thinks he's the root of all knowledge. Is there a team of physician's studying you at this point? I'd love to put you and Trump in the same room...so you can rain your narcissistic behavior on each other.

Guys, I think we have found the real life Neidermeyer from Animal House. Icke fits the bill. "Killed in Vietnam, by his own troops." This douche thinks he's the root of all knowledge. Is there a team of physician's studying you at this point? I'd love to put you and Trump in the same room...so you can rain your narcissistic behavior on each other.

Why respond to him with any thing other than LTG?

Congrats on really nailing me there, Jackson, not Johnson.

Objective data says Bower hasn't been a highly productive starter at WLB in Iowa's system compared to past starters:

All you've shown in the past is your subjective opinion of Bower is higher than mine. Bower wan't a malignant problem on the D most games but a team with Iowa's history of recruiting and developing LBs, they should be able to get better production out of the spot.

Last edited:

Objective data says Bower hasn't been a highly productive starter at WLB is Iowa's system compared to past starters:

All you've shown in the past is your subjective opinion of Bower is higher than mine. Bower wan't a malignant problem on the D most games but a team with Iowa's history of recruiting and developing LBs, they should be able to get better production out of the spot.

He's not worth your effort hgf

Objective data says Bower hasn't been a highly productive starter at WLB is Iowa's system compared to past starters:

Excellent post! It really shows production from the purely statiscal side.

What's interesting is the side-by-side comparison with Fisher from last year with both Bower playing the same spot with essentially the same DL on his side (Bazata/Faith + Hesse). Fisher had 5.5 TFLs and 6 pass break ups not to mention the much higher solo and assisted tackles (which again can be deceptive stats). Bower's production looks to be amomg the lowest over the last 5 years.

We lost 2 close games that we should have won against NDSU & NW where the D gave up big running yards much of which was inside. Makes you wonder doesn't it? A little better production from his spot & Gair in for Taylor and this might be a 10 win team right now. Little things make a big difference.

By the way... wow ... look at Hitchens again with 13.5 TFLs... Dang!

What's interesting is the side-by-side comparison with Fisher from last year with both Bower playing the same spot with essentially the same DL on his side (Bazata/Faith + Hesse). Fisher had 5.5 TFLs and 6 pass break ups not to mention the much higher solo and assisted tackles (which again can be deceptive stats). Bower's production looks to be amomg the lowest over the last 5 years.

We lost 2 close games that we should have won against NDSU & NW where the D gave up big running yards much of which was inside. Makes you wonder doesn't it? A little better production from his spot & Gair in for Taylor and this might be a 10 win team right now. Little things make a big difference.

If I were ranking the seasons relative to each other from stats and notes from those years I'd go:
1) '13 Hitchens

2) '11 Kirksey

3) '15 Fisher
4) '12 Hitchens

5) '16 Bower

6) '14 Jewell/Spearman

Most people probably forget that Hitchens got benched a few times in '12; primarily for blowing coverage/assignments based on what I was told. Spearman/Jewell combo was by far and away the worst year at WLB I recall; blown assignments, poor run fits, ton of missed tackles. Despite being physically over-matched, you could see Jewell slowly emerging as a player but Spearman was a mess.

Looking at what Iowa asks of their WLB, it's pretty clear they ask a lot of them week to week as far as being extremely decisive on reading keys. Iowa doesn't come out of base personnel very often and as a result, LBs have a very big menu of formations/motions to master week-to-week. Think that's what took Hitchen's awhile to fully grasp. It also might help explain why Mends/Jones were both non-factors this year.

Hitchens really became a complete player in '13; have wondered how much of that to credit to adding Reid to the staff that year. That D was an extremely fun unit to watch overall, all 3 LBs were tremendous fits in their role and played at at a very high level.

If Iowa can't develop one of the younger guys hopefully they can get a '15 Fisher type year out of Bower in '17. Fisher was a total question mark heading into '15, he may have had results like '15 Bower had he been forced into a starting role in '14.

One thing I definitely feel is true, is that this 8-4 team has 10 win talent on it. If we have the talent to beat Bugeaters and Wolverines - then we have the talent to beat the two schools with North in their name.

Objective data says Bower hasn't been a highly productive starter at WLB in Iowa's system compared to past starters:

Statistics are for losers................

Latest posts