Starting D next year?

If I were ranking the seasons relative to each other from stats and notes from those years I'd go:
1) '13 Hitchens

2) '11 Kirksey

3) '15 Fisher
4) '12 Hitchens

5) '16 Bower

6) '14 Jewell/Spearman

I really appreciate this kind of information/insight, I find it fascinating. If you have more time available, I would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1) Many have argued that Ekakatie (sp?) was underutilized in favor of less effective players early in the year. How have his snaps per game changed as the year has gone on, and how has effectiveness changed?

2) A related personnel question: how has late season Rugamba compared to early season Mabin? Do we have any reason to believe that early-season Rugamba should have been playing ahead of Mabin (as opposed to being the 5th DB)?

Last edited:
I really appreciate this kind of information/insight, I find it fascinating. If you have more time available, I would leave to hear your thoughts on the following:

1) Many have argued that Ekakatie (sp?) was underutilized in favor of less effective players early in the year. How have his snaps per game changed as the year has gone on, and how has effectiveness changed?

2) A related personnel question: how has late season Rugamba compared to early season Mabin? Do we have any reason to believe that early-season Rugamba should have been playing ahead of Mabin (as opposed to being the 5th DB)?

This post misses the point. Kirk has proved prior to 2016 that he misses from time to time on picking the best 24 starters. This is an 18yr ongoing problem and Kirk has never corrected it. And now with the new contract he has no incentive for introspection and self-improvement.

This post misses the point. Kirk has proved prior to 2016 that he misses from time to time on picking the best 24 starters. This is an 18yr ongoing problem and Kirk has never corrected it. And now with the new contract he has no incentive for introspection and self-improvement.

All coaches can be a bit myopic as they are trying to figure out the best players to put on the field. Does Coach Ferentz err more than his peers? It is certainly possible. In this particular case, I was curious to hear the opinion of a professional evaluator of talent, who may look at things differently than a casual fan.

I really appreciate this kind of information/insight, I find it fascinating. If you have more time available, I would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1) Ekakatie played about 200 snaps last year and what I remember is he was pretty erratic. He'd do his job 1-2 plays, make 1 good play and then turn around and get washed out by a double team on the next one. He clearly has physical talent and can disrupt inside but I think consistency, especially vs double teams limited his playing time. Ekakatie ended up playing 500+ snaps in '16, partly due to injury but I thought he did a pretty good job. Felt like he was limiting those big mistakes and still contributing with disruption vs run and got at least some pressure on QB.
Ekakatie '16 snaps:

2) Coaches will always be hesitant to put a true freshman out at CB, especially with Iowa's style heavily relying on no big plays outside. Mostly referring to mental mistakes here: eyes in the back-field & losing WR(King still had this happen to him in '16 once), missing a switch based on motion, or not defending outside in vs run & letting RB outside. Parker is pretty risk averse as a DC and I can see why Parker wanted to stay with a vet like Mabin.

As far as Rugumba goes, a lot of Rugumba's path reminds me of how King ascended on the depth chart. King ended up a true freshman starter mostly due to Lomax going down with a shoulder injury. Rugubma didn't get his shot until after Mabin went down; it just happened much later in the year. And what a way to open his career: against a couple of NFL caliber WRs vs #2 MICH. Rugumba did get beat over the top in that game but MICH failed to connect; Rugumba also made a key INT that helped set the table for that upset. With a FR CB you'll have a little feast or famine; imagine if MICH hits one of those deep shots on him early or if overturned TD by Darboh had stood.

Even if Rugumba didn't overtake Mabin on the depth chart I can't think of a good reason Iowa didn't use more nickel to try and get him to he field more often. There were weeks where the nickel wasn't as valuable(WIS etc) but games like NW and PSU were teams that spread the field out & stretched Iowa's D. If you've got a nickel CB you trust to support the run, you should be able to let the LBs stay in the box & focus their attn there.

A lot be excited for as far as Rugumba's future goes though, shows similar pattern reading instincts to Dez King and that's something you can't teach. Should be fun to watch him develop in '17 and '18.

Rugumba snaps:

We are also replacing the best DB we've had in 90 years

This. So much this. King didn't have the statistical year he had last year but watching games, you could see the impact he brought. Quite simply people didn't throw to his side of the field. He would get a play now and then, sometimes he make a play other times not. By overal offenses didn't take the chance. Going to miss that guy.

I'm waiting for Icke to come out and say, "Rugumba is going to make you forget all about King."...similar to his rant about Brandon Snyder making us forget about Lomax. Or the Bower is better than Jewell comments. What an idiot.

One thing I definitely feel is true, is that this 8-4 team has 10 win talent on it. If we have the talent to beat Bugeaters and Wolverines - then we have the talent to beat the two schools with North in their name.

I mentioned this the other day in a thread and asked why the coaches didn't have the pieces in place in Sept, and the fire in everyone's belly. That seems to be a staff failure and in NOvember a staff success.

I mentioned this the other day in a thread and asked why the coaches didn't have the pieces in place in Sept, and the fire in everyone's belly. That seems to be a staff failure and in NOvember a staff success.

It feels like Kirk has to lose games he shouldn't in order for "urgency" to set in. It goes back to that thing where Kirk doesn't understand why he doesn't have a winning record against Iowa State or Northwestern. He seems to value emotionlessness over champion emotion. He doesn't want the guys to get too high or too low. The problem is that makes them ripe for the killing on any given Saturday.

1) Ekakatie played about 200 snaps last year and what I remember is he was pretty erratic. He'd do his job 1-2 plays, make 1 good play and then turn around and get washed out by a double team on the next one. He clearly has physical talent and can disrupt inside but I think consistency, especially vs double teams limited his playing time. Ekakatie ended up playing 500+ snaps in '16, partly due to injury but I thought he did a pretty good job. Felt like he was limiting those big mistakes and still contributing with disruption vs run and got at least some pressure on QB.
Ekakatie '16 snaps:

2) Coaches will always be hesitant to put a true freshman out at CB, especially with Iowa's style heavily relying on no big plays outside. Mostly referring to mental mistakes here: eyes in the back-field & losing WR(King still had this happen to him in '16 once), missing a switch based on motion, or not defending outside in vs run & letting RB outside. Parker is pretty risk averse as a DC and I can see why Parker wanted to stay with a vet like Mabin.

As far as Rugumba goes, a lot of Rugumba's path reminds me of how King ascended on the depth chart. King ended up a true freshman starter mostly due to Lomax going down with a shoulder injury. Rugubma didn't get his shot until after Mabin went down; it just happened much later in the year. And what a way to open his career: against a couple of NFL caliber WRs vs #2 MICH. Rugumba did get beat over the top in that game but MICH failed to connect; Rugumba also made a key INT that helped set the table for that upset. With a FR CB you'll have a little feast or famine; imagine if MICH hits one of those deep shots on him early or if overturned TD by Darboh had stood.

Even if Rugumba didn't overtake Mabin on the depth chart I can't think of a good reason Iowa didn't use more nickel to try and get him to he field more often. There were weeks where the nickel wasn't as valuable(WIS etc) but games like NW and PSU were teams that spread the field out & stretched Iowa's D. If you've got a nickel CB you trust to support the run, you should be able to let the LBs stay in the box & focus their attn there.

A lot be excited for as far as Rugumba's future goes though, shows similar pattern reading instincts to Dez King and that's something you can't teach. Should be fun to watch him develop in '17 and '18.

Rugumba snaps:

Thanks, much appreciated.

I don't think Bower is terrible. In fact I thank him for his effort. But I have a feeling our best 3 LBers aren't on the field together.

Saw elsewhere Mends was practicing with red jersey. That COULD explain a lot. And frankly, Bower looked bad against PSU. Who didn't? The only other time I saw "glaring" issues with Bower was Miami/OH, which coincides with our starting Mike LB getting ejected. That caused an issue the D had much of this year, i.e., losing/leaving "task" to try and cover for someone else's inexperience. Last three games showed what can happen when each/every guy stays on-task.

I'm waiting for Icke to come out and say, "Rugumba is going to make you forget all about King."...similar to his rant about Brandon Snyder making us forget about Lomax. Or the Bower is better than Jewell comments. What an idiot.
OK, dipshit....For starters, Rugumba plays the opposite corner, which you are to dumb to know...so that would never happen....secondly, Snyder is WAY better than Lomax was as a sophomore (Lomax wasn't even playing safety yet as a sophomore YOU STUPID TWIT, he was still playing corner....but you never bother yourself with FACTS, LOL)....Thirdly, WE all hope we get better at every position, every year, and make us forget about everyone who's ever played here. But apparently, you hope no one is ever better than previous players?????? YOU are the biggest LOSER that has ever posted on a hawkeye fan site....seriously!!! And last but not least, I HAVE 'NEVER' SAID THAT BOWER IS BETTER THAN JEWELL YOU FUCKING TARD........Don't believe me? Find it and show it to me and all of the Nation, especially your 'crazies'........

Thanks, much appreciated.
They've played nickel with him (ragumba) on the field NUMEROUS times???? Where have you been 'pretender'. You are a complete 'clown', But you impress the ignorant 'crazies' and that's probably your goal............

It feels like Kirk has to lose games he shouldn't in order for "urgency" to set in. It goes back to that thing where Kirk doesn't understand why he doesn't have a winning record against Iowa State or Northwestern. He seems to value emotionlessness over champion emotion. He doesn't want the guys to get too high or too low. The problem is that makes them ripe for the killing on any given Saturday.
Man, you nailed it!!! That's the way he 'rolls'............bahahahaha!!! I'm sure 'gamefilm' agrees with you, LOL.....You and 'gamefilm' need to be 'fantasy football scouts', LOL....................you 'crazies' live in a delusional world and you should elect GF as your leader, LOL.........

OK, dipshit....For starters, Rugumba plays the opposite corner, which you are to dumb to know...(Johnson [according to gamefilm] plays right corner, lol) so that would never happen....secondly, Snyder is WAY better than Lomax was as a sophomore (Lomax wasn't even playing safety yet as a sophomore YOU STUPID TWIT, he was still playing corner....but you never bother yourself with FACTS, LOL)....Thirdly, WE all hope we get better at every position, every year, and make us forget about everyone who's ever played here. But apparently, you hope no one is ever better than previous players?????? YOU are the biggest LOSER that has ever posted on a hawkeye fan site....seriously!!! And last but not least, I HAVE 'NEVER' SAID THAT BOWER IS BETTER THAN JEWELL YOU FUCKING TARD........Don't believe me? Find it and show it to me and all of the Nation, especially your 'crazies'........

OK, dipshit....For starters, Rugumba plays the opposite corner, which you are to dumb to know...so that would never happen....secondly, Snyder is WAY better than Lomax was as a sophomore (Lomax wasn't even playing safety yet as a sophomore YOU STUPID TWIT, he was still playing corner....but you never bother yourself with FACTS, LOL)....Thirdly, WE all hope we get better at every position, every year, and make us forget about everyone who's ever played here. But apparently, you hope no one is ever better than previous players?????? YOU are the biggest LOSER that has ever posted on a hawkeye fan site....seriously!!! And last but not least, I HAVE 'NEVER' SAID THAT BOWER IS BETTER THAN JEWELL YOU FUCKING TARD........Don't believe me? Find it and show it to me and all of the Nation, especially your 'crazies'........

"Bo Bower is so much better than Jose' Jewell, and I like to spread honey all over Bo's body and lick it off while listening to my collection of Justin Beiber albums." Ickehawk.

There it is...you said it. Don't begin to tell me you don't remember. You never said Lomax as a sophomore...you said Snyder would make us forget Lomax. Poor Ickehawk...throwing tantrums these days.

"Bo Bower is so much better than Jose' Jewell, and I like to spread honey all over Bo's body and lick it off while listening to my collection of Justin Beiber albums." Ickehawk.

There it is...you said it. Don't begin to tell me you don't remember. You never said Lomax as a sophomore...you said Snyder would make us forget Lomax. Poor Ickehawk...throwing tantrums these days.
I said that?????? LOL! Well, I'm allergic to honey and I have no idea who Justis Beaver is, but OK...if you say so...That is actually kind of funny. I even snickered a little reading that. I've already forget Lorax. I know how you guys love stats and Snyder's stats were on par with Lorax's even though were not comparing apples to apples. And Snyder never got 'beat' like Lorax did and is a bigger hitter. So I've forgot him already. And wait till Snyder is a Senior so we can 'really' compare the 2 on an level playing field. You lost again, but I'll give you credit...you are a tenacious little monkey..........

They've played nickel with him (ragumba) on the field NUMEROUS times???? Where have you been 'pretender'. You are a complete 'clown', But you impress the ignorant 'crazies' and that's probably your goal............

He didn't say Rugumba was not used in nickel (he actually provides the # of snaps per game, which is what I was most curious about and have no idea how to find on my own), he only suggests the he could have been utilized more heavily by choosing to play MORE nickel.

It is probably time to drop the vendetta against Hawkeyegamefilm, I don't think it is helping you in any way.