Sorry Kirk and Vandenberg haters....

It's sad how some people on here love to give credit to everyone but Kirk. Obviously they are too blinded by their hate to give him any of the credit for that win. The win bears out the fact that his decisions were the right ones. He used a philosophy that won a LOT of games for Jim Tressel by using his defense and playing a game of field position. We all knew that MSU had a legitimate defense and our offense was going to have a tough go of it, and they did. Kirk's getting all the blame for the offense not producing, but the defense bailed HIM out? You do realize that HE was the one making the decisions on when to go for it and when to punt and lean on a defense that was having success, right?

Too bad some people have to find fault in a win in spite of the fact that it was on the road (another reason KF gets ragged on), against one of the better defenses in the country and played under some crappy weather conditions. The defense played well, the special teams played well and the offense made just enough plays to keep them in it. It doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. It doesn't mean we will win out. It doesn't even mean we will win next week. It's encouraging, and I'll take that and enjoy it for a week.

Thing is though - Kirk Ferentz is an offensive line guru, so if you want to give credit to the defense that's not really his area.

I think Kirk did fine today (besides the timeout draw them offsides, timeout and try to draw them offsides gain and false start.. not sure I've ever seen such retardness before).

But ya Kirk did well today I thought - but lets see what happens the rest of the way.

According to Jon's rules I think a short time out would be in order.

th

Why all the time wasted and angst over coaching and QB play?

Hawkeye football is what it is - '60 full' minutes of you never know what will happen (and today 60+)

There will be good days (see a lot of today, 2009, 2002, etc.) and days that you pull your hair out (Cent. Mich., Minn '11, '10)... but they make you follow all of it!!

See you Sat night @ Kinnick, Go Hawks!!

Another showing like this and O'Keefe will start looking good. Vandy is like that car you sit behind at the stop sign that won't pull out in to traffic. Frustrating. You honk trying to get them to make a decision.

He has yet to prove he is a game winner. Despite JVB efforts to not win this game, Mike Meyer and the defense won this one His a** got saved on this one.

With all y'all about the frustrations with JVB... but from what I have heard about the young man and his work ethic, we really should trust Capt Kirk and continue to support him as our QB.

I figure as long as the kid does not give up on himself and continue to work hard to improve... he will come through in the end (crosses fingers)

JVB may be a good person and have a good work ethic, but he isn't getting the job done. 2 TD passes in 6 games? The opening series in yesterday's game showed the problem. Second play, he throws the ball into to double coverage strait at a MSU defender. And then the interception that led to MSU's TD. Comon..This is acceptable from a fifth year senior six games into the season?
At this point I would like him not to lose the games for the Hawks.

Thing is though - Kirk Ferentz is an offensive line guru, so if you want to give credit to the defense that's not really his area.

I think Kirk did fine today (besides the timeout draw them offsides, timeout and try to draw them offsides gain and false start.. not sure I've ever seen such retardness before).

But ya Kirk did well today I thought - but lets see what happens the rest of the way.
See end of the first half where MSU had some special teams players, some offensive players, one coach, and no QB on the field.

I understand what your getting at, but how do we hold Kirk responsible for a false start? I simply don't believe he drew up the false start during the timeout.

I simply don't understand how the defense bailed Kirk out... Did he not hire Phil as his defensive coordinator? Did he not hire the guy responsible for running the defense. As the head coach, Kirk is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the game. Phil is there because Kirk felt he was capable of running the defense, so how did KF's defense bail him out. When an offense is struggling the defense and special teams become much more important. Don't see how he can only be held responsible for an offense that is struggling and not the defense and special teams.

Then again, I'm glad they're winning and happy about getting away from East Lansing 2-0 in conference play so what do I know. Offensively we didn't play well, but played well enough not to lose. Fortunately MSU had one of the better defenses in the nation and our ground game can hopefully get back on track.

I simply don't understand how the defense bailed Kirk out... Did he not hire Phil as his defensive coordinator? Did he not hire the guy responsible for running the defense. As the head coach, Kirk is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the game. Phil is there because Kirk felt he was capable of running the defense, so how did KF's defense bail him out. When an offense is struggling the defense and special teams become much more important. Don't see how he can only be held responsible for an offense that is struggling and not the defense and special teams.

Then again, I'm glad they're winning and happy about getting away from East Lansing 2-0 in conference play so what do I know. Offensively we didn't play well, but played well enough not to lose. Fortunately MSU had one of the better defenses in the nation and our ground game can hopefully get back on track.

It is useless trying to explain this to the haters. The defense has been good at Iowa for a long time, so they don't want to give him any credit for that. Nevermind the fact that KF has used a ball control, field position, and defense to win at Iowa for the last 14 years....all that time he is only coaching the offense, and nothing else. :rolleyes:

JVB footwork is horrible. He rarely steps into his throws, which makes him horribly inaccurate. What happened to crossing patterns instead of short outs to the sideline?

What I don't understand is that KF and Greg Davis both feel JVB is their guy, so I trust their take on who gives us the best chance to win.

Think about it this way, if you were really looking at just the numbers and bonehead plays, Stanzi would have been benched his junior year. He led the country in interceptions and pick sixes. KF stuck with him because he knew he gave his team the best chance to win. It's no different now other than the fact that this is a totally new offense. I don't care what anyone says...this is a completely different passing scheme, reads, and strategy. The receivers are also struggling a bit.

I will tell you, and most won't believe this comment...I actually thought the offense played better the second half and the play selection was solid. I like the design of some of the plays in the OT also. If Cotton doesn't slip that's a first down...the play to KD in the flat where the slot receiver ran off the corner was beautiful. I think the execution is really close. That was a very, very good defense guys...top 10 in the country IMO.

I still think the O is going to start clicking and JVB gets more comfortable. To me, the accuracy issues are because they changed his throwing motion...and he just hasn't brought the accuracy from practice to the games under pressure. It will come IMO.

It's sad how some people on here love to give credit to everyone but Kirk. Obviously they are too blinded by their hate to give him any of the credit for that win. The win bears out the fact that his decisions were the right ones. He used a philosophy that won a LOT of games for Jim Tressel by using his defense and playing a game of field position. We all knew that MSU had a legitimate defense and our offense was going to have a tough go of it, and they did. Kirk's getting all the blame for the offense not producing, but the defense bailed HIM out? You do realize that HE was the one making the decisions on when to go for it and when to punt and lean on a defense that was having success, right?

Too bad some people have to find fault in a win in spite of the fact that it was on the road (another reason KF gets ragged on), against one of the better defenses in the country and played under some crappy weather conditions. The defense played well, the special teams played well and the offense made just enough plays to keep them in it. It doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. It doesn't mean we will win out. It doesn't even mean we will win next week. It's encouraging, and I'll take that and enjoy it for a week.

Thank you for one of the first cogent posts in this thread. A huge win on the road for the Hawkeyes, period.

I understand what your getting at, but how do we hold Kirk responsible for a false start? I simply don't believe he drew up the false start during the timeout.

Ferentz doesn't have much do with the defense - having coached, having family members that coach high school and college.... when coaches hire coordinators the coordinator does the coordinating. Some guys are offensive guys some guys are defensive guys ect ect.

Does Kirk have input on what kind of scheme he wants ect? sure but defense is not his area.

If you want to see Kirk's stamp on this team its the zone read and the great offensive line play and lineman we poor into the NFL.

Some of these posts show are a little naieve - often often times the defensive side and the offensive side even on the same team do not have great love for each other. It's a love hate thing. Too think that both sides control each other with compromise and brotherly love... I can't say I've ever seen that

It's often like Athens and Sparta - two completely different ideals and focuses fighting for the same country.

Last edited:
I think you have team issues (offensive side / defensive side) when you have a lack of leadership from the older players. I think 2010 was like that...the defense was blaming the offense and the offense was blaming the defense for giving up late leads. That team had issues if the locker room issues can be believed as none of us was there. Losing breeds frustration.

That being said, I get the impression this team and the leadership on this team is doing the job with young personnel to get them ready to play and there is no quit. CMU was a debacle that the "Gods" wanted to happen. For everything to go right...Hyde falling on the TD, the two onside kicks, Gags penalty, and the kick that never was more than 11 yards off the ground was truly unbelievable. Get this, Indiana was a lucky bounce away from having a field goal to tie OSU last night.

Latest posts