Slightly OT - Best quick tacos in Iowa bracket

Apparently most of you amateurs have never been to La Juanita's in the Dirty Sioux.

I understand if you've avoided SC based on the Tyson smell of the 90's, but it's gone now and Ashton Kutcher's breakfast cereal has always smelled worse.

I'd comment on Fort Dodge's tacos, but no way am I going to wear a bullet hole for a taco. I worked construction in that shit burger back in my youth and you couldn't pay me enough to go there now. It makes Storm Lake look like North Liberty.

anyone like Taco Casa in Des Moines? The owners are the same as The Taco House in Okoboji. Both are just "ok" in my mind, but talk shit about Taco House to someone from that part of the state and it's like you called their mother a whore. I dunno if Taco Casa is busy or has the same appeal to DM residents.

Went there once. Not bad or anything, just bland and uninspired. I could see how that would be popular in Okoboji.

Conesville used to have the best Mexican restaurant in the area when I was a kid. My whole family got food poisoning there one night and I had a soccer game the next day. Was tough but I made it through! We never went there again after that and I'm pretty sure it closed down soon after.

Apparently most of you amateurs have never been to La Juanita's in the Dirty Sioux.

I understand if you've avoided SC based on the Tyson smell of the 90's, but it's gone now and Ashton Kutcher's breakfast cereal has always smelled worse.

I'd comment on Fort Dodge's tacos, but no way am I going to wear a bullet hole for a taco. I worked construction in that shit burger back in my youth and you couldn't pay me enough to go there now. It makes Storm Lake look like North Liberty.

Why you going after Dodge, bruh? I do like your last sentence. LOL.

Went there once. Not bad or anything, just bland and uninspired. I could see how that would be popular in Okoboji.

yes, bland is a perfect word. Both locations are shit holes too and have horrible dine in options. I don't get the NW Iowa infatuation with Taco House, but I think it's basically the Tasty Taco's of the lakes area up there as TT is to DM. If you ask someone from those parts where a good place to get food is, Taco House always comes up.

When I had Tasty Taco's - it was decent, it was just drowning in a pool of grease both times and it made it soggy, which is sometimes the story of my life. :)

yes, bland is a perfect word. Both locations are shit holes too and have horrible dine in options. I don't get the NW Iowa infatuation with Taco House, but I think it's basically the Tasty Taco's of the lakes area up there as TT is to DM. If you ask someone from those parts where a good place to get food is, Taco House always comes up.

When I had Tasty Taco's - it was decent, it was just drowning in a pool of grease both times and it made it soggy, which is sometimes the story of my life. :)
If you’re from Omaha and get to the lakes frequently you need to hit La Jua’s on your way sometime.

Why you going after Dodge, bruh? I do like your last sentence. LOL.
The company I worked for at the time had a contract replacing power lines and updating a bunch of street lights back in 1999-2000. We were down in Gangland and had people come out and yell at us when we pulled up. Apparently in their crack induced minds they thought the photo cells were cameras out there to watch them. Came back the next morning and 5 lights were shot out. I remember the exact number because it was such a fucked up situation.

Oh, and we parked our trucks in a fenced in construction yard that was lit up like a Kiss concert, and mine and two other guys’ tools got stolen from a locked utility truck box. Mind you it was all climbing gear and power line tools that would be of zero street value unless it was sold on ebay with our names engraved all over it. They left two Snap-On roll outs full of air tools and a generator alone.

The City of Fort Dope is apparently used to that shit happening though, because they cut all 3 of us a check and never even took a police report. I’d imagine going house to house asking a bunch of Gangster Disciples where our tools were would have been a good way to get shot.

Fort Dodge? Uhh no, I’ll pass on that.​

Last edited:

I fish at the Lakes probably 30 weekends a year and I love Taco House. It's trendy so the rich whiteys like it, but not authentic.

I do think it's good though.

That's a funny post. La Juanita's doesn't sound like fast food tacos but sounds like a sit down restaurant. If is, NOT qaualified!!

That's a funny post. La Juanita's doesn't sound like fast food tacos but sounds like a sit down restaurant. If is, NOT qaualified!!
It’s faster than Taco John’s and you order standing up at the counter. No wait staff. When you order a soda or a water you pay and then go grab it out of the cooler right behind you. It qualifies.

Come on over to the left side of the state and I’ll even buy you La Jua’s to prove it ;-)

The true face of La Juanita's.............

o.jpg

It’s faster than Taco John’s and you order standing up at the counter. No wait staff. When you order a soda or a water you pay and then go grab it out of the cooler right behind you. It qualifies.

Come on over to the left side of the state and I’ll even buy you La Jua’s to prove it ;-)

Ok. My bad.

A former Taco Bell employee who posted this photo of himself on Face Book

6c7712300-tdy-130603-taco-bell-shell-1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

The Algorithm has spoken. Taco John's has been disqualified from the tournament and due to the consensus that the 2/3 game was the 'ship, Tasty Tacos is hereby declared the winner of the bracket. Thanks all for your contributions.

The Algorithm has spoken. Taco John's has been disqualified from the tournament and due to the consensus that the 2/3 game was the 'ship, Tasty Tacos is hereby declared the winner of the bracket. Thanks all for your contributions.
Its Taco Bell in that photo NOT Taco Johns you Dolt! Taco John's is still National Champion

Latest posts