Slightly OT - Best quick tacos in Iowa bracket

The Doritos Locos Taco was the single greatest innovation in fast food bince the advent of the McDLT or possibly the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger at Hardee's that used to come on that oblong oval shaped bun. No single menu item has revolutionized a chain like that in decades. And I agree with you, the $5 fill up box at TB is just an absurd amount of food for the price - in a world where businesses have pushed stealth price hikes through shrinkflation, Taco Bell doubled the hell down and took a package of food that would have cost $8 ten years ago and priced it at $5 today. And it's just the right amount of food because had you crossed that $8 threshold ten years ago, 30 minutes after eating it you would have inevitably asked yourself "why did I spend $10 to feel like this?"

It's truly unfortunate that you don't want to go to Fort Dodge to try Taco Tico. In addition to Taco Tico, there are many other attractions in Fort Dodge like Tom Thumb Burgers, which made me puke once, a Hy-Vee, a Wal-Mart and a Pizza Ranch restaurant that has an all you can eat buffet. It's a truly remarkable town with a vibrant and diverse mix of niche retail and restaurant businesses. You might be surprised that you can also get a glimpse into the future by visiting Crossroads Mall, which is down to almost no stores, so you can see what the mall of the future will look like!
I believe the state prison might give tours, as well. It appeared on one of those primetime prison tv shows.

Dude, I've been in the kitchen of a John's (don't ask, not that great a story I was franchise shopping). Fresh ingredients..beats the hell out of Bell. The 2-3 game is definitely the Championship game. Could go either way...the winner takes the title game in a blowout of either Bell or Tico.

I just had Taco Johns today after many years and it does not hold a candle to Tasty Tacos for taste.

Seeding is based on number of locations nationally and primary burrito restaurants like Panchero's and Chipotle have intentionally been excluded from this tournament:

#1 seed Taco Bell versus #4 seed Taco Tico (Fort Dodge)
And in what will certainly be a Battle Royale between two titans in the Iowa fast food taco scene:
#2 seed Taco John's versus #3 seed Tasty Tacos

Please pick your first round winners along with your rationale and our proprietary algorithm will announce the winners in the coming days.

OK4P, have you ever been around Des Moines and had Tasty Tacos?? If not I will say they are 50 times better than runner up Taco Johns. The deep oil fried/cooked thick soft flour shells are awesome and not greasy and with much more filling, cheese and lettuce, and super hot sauce.

If you ever get around central Iowa there are about 6 or so Tasty Tacos around Des Moines.

I had Tasty Tacos a couple of weeks ago and Taco Johns today, on purpose after not eating there in many years, Tasty Tacos wins by a mile.

Hey all you central Iowans who have had Tasty Tacos, give OK4P the real dope on this. We might have to ship him some with a lot of hot sauce.

Does anyone know if TJ's started making their hot sauce hotter? It's seemed noticeably hotter the last few times I've had it.

Does anyone know if TJ's started making their hot sauce hotter? It's seemed noticeably hotter the last few times I've had it.

They have a buffet of hot sauces to choose from. If you decide to eat in or carry out you have at least 5 options.

there are no Tasty Tacos in E. Iowa, so your argument is irrelevant and is now "officially" thrown out of this conversation.

Haha, your loss, I introduced two coworkers from Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities to Tasty Tacos and they were blown away with how great they are. They would try to invent business reasons to work with me in Des Moines just to get Tasty Tacos. Gotcha as TTacos are still in play the the very clear winner

Yeah, there's a lot of makeup work and a few filters running on those pictures. The lettuce is too green. The tomatoes are too red. The cheese, lettuce and tomatoes are never interspersed like that.

Lol, Fake taco, fake taco................ we going to make tacos great again and Mexico is going to pay for them.

OK4P, have you ever been around Des Moines and had Tasty Tacos?? If not I will say they are 50 times better than runner up Taco Johns. The deep oil fried/cooked thick soft flour shells are awesome and not greasy and with much more filling, cheese and lettuce, and super hot sauce.

If you ever get around central Iowa there are about 6 or so Tasty Tacos around Des Moines.

I had Tasty Tacos a couple of weeks ago and Taco Johns today, on purpose after not eating there in many years, Tasty Tacos wins by a mile.

Hey all you central Iowans who have had Tasty Tacos, give OK4P the real dope on this. We might have to ship him some with a lot of hot sauce.

As the man running the algorithm in this bracket, I'm not going to make a qualitative assessment here, but to answer your question, yes, pal, yes, I lived in The U and Neck Moines for a long time and if it weren't for Tasty Tacos, Paul Revere's Pizza, Home Team Pizza, B-Bops, Embers and Hostetlers (the place in the U that used to sell Hickory Park product until the tasteless schmucks who live in Neck Moines all started to go to Famous Daves and Hostetlers went under), I would be dead. Those places provided probably 70% of the non-alcoholic calories I consumed that kept me alive during my later high school and college years.

Haha, your loss, I introduced two coworkers from Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities to Tasty Tacos and they were blown away with how great they are. They would try to invent business reasons to work with me in Des Moines just to get Tasty Tacos. Gotcha as TTacos are still in play the the very clear winner

A Tasty Tacos in the ped mall would put every other place there out of business. The Iowa City elite are lobbying hard to keep them out because without the Panchero's Big Burrito Lift the University won't be able to bankroll Kurt's contract.

I believe the state prison might give tours, as well. It appeared on one of those primetime prison tv shows.

I want everyone on here to take notes - this level of content is why I keep coming back to HN. Excellent post, sir. Absolutely excellent.

Personal anecdote here - my cousin was married to a guy who "failed" the test to become a guard there. He had no ambition to move elsewhere. She asked me what she should do and I said "get a divorce immediately and find another man." Well, she took my advice and the guy who failed the test is now on his second DUI, has multiple domestic violence arrests and is a total loser and the guy she married is a pretty senior guy in a local bank and they seem happy and have three great kids. Bullet. Dodged.

The true face of Tasty Tacos.............................

carlos-pepe-s-17th-st.jpg

As the man running the algorithm in this bracket, I'm not going to make a qualitative assessment here, but to answer your question, yes, pal, yes, I lived in The U and Neck Moines for a long time and if it weren't for Tasty Tacos, Paul Revere's Pizza, Home Team Pizza, B-Bops, Embers and Hostetlers (the place in the U that used to sell Hickory Park product until the tasteless schmucks who live in Neck Moines all started to go to Famous Daves and Hostetlers went under), I would be dead. Those places provided probably 70% of the non-alcoholic calories I consumed that kept me alive during my later high school and college years.

Oh B-Bops is the best and yes Hostetlers was great, I forgot about them but when I worked out by Johnston that was a great bbq to eat.

I cant believe my arteries have survived this food so long. Maybe beer helps clean out the arterial plaques.

They have a buffet of hot sauces to choose from. If you decide to eat in or carry out you have at least 5 options.

I'm talking the same red packet hot sauce I've always gotten has been hotter the last few times. I'm hoping they changed it to that and its not just random.

anyone like Taco Casa in Des Moines? The owners are the same as The Taco House in Okoboji. Both are just "ok" in my mind, but talk shit about Taco House to someone from that part of the state and it's like you called their mother a whore. I dunno if Taco Casa is busy or has the same appeal to DM residents.

Also, I've had Tasty Taco's twice in DM. I was super underwhelmed with both experiences. 1. took forever both times (tacos should be quick am I right?) 2. The Taco's were literally so greasy that the bottoms of the shells leaked out grease. Now, I love all taco's... they were "ok" as well, just didn't live up to the hype for me. I will definitely give it another shot.

Because of this thread, I have been craving tacos, so I went to Taco Johns today. I had three hard shells, two taco bravos and a small Oles. Now I feel like Chunky McFatty.

Latest posts