Slightly OT - Best quick tacos in Iowa bracket

Big news in the taco world. Bell is trying to invalidate John's trademark of the phrase "Taco Tuesday." They registered for it in 1989. Sorry dudes, 34 years is too damned long to wait. There is a statutory objection period in the trademark statute.

I hope they win. I hate having to send Taco John's a royalty check every time I say "Taco Tuesday". DAMMIT! I JUST SAID IT AGAIN!

Rudy's Tacos in Davenport Iowa and one in Waterloo. Based out of Davenport. One of my family run go to's. Had last weekend which was the first in a while. Yum.

We ussed to got to Rudy's Tacos in Davenport - late night. When I go back, everthing tastes like it did in 1980. The thing is..... I've moved on and had better since then. Same goes for Happy Joe's

We ussed to got to Rudy's Tacos in Davenport - late night. When I go back, everthing tastes like it did in 1980. The thing is..... I've moved on and had better since then. Same goes for Happy Joe's

I was never a Happy Joe's fan, to be honest. It was never a "cult" thing to me. I do enjoy Rudy's beef enchiladas. Something about the beef in those things.

Also, not a fan of Harris's Pizza, another "legendary" place in the Quad that seems to have a cult following. They cut up the toppings too much, IMO.

I was never a Happy Joe's fan, to be honest. It was never a "cult" thing to me. I do enjoy Rudy's beef enchiladas. Something about the beef in those things.

Also, not a fan of Harris's Pizza, another "legendary" place in the Quad that seems to have a cult following. They cut up the toppings too much, IMO.
BAN THIS MAN. Happy Joe's is amazing. Have you ever had their taco pizza? Lord have mercy.

Rudy's Tacos in the Quad Cities is equivalent to Tasty Tacos in the Des Moines area. Really good cheap food, but can be overrated. If you buy into the hype, you are going to be disappointed, if you are a first timer trying it out.

I'm a Harris pizza fan. If you are going "fast food pizza" that is the way to go. IMO, it taste better than the shit you get from Dominos, Little Ceasars, or Pizza Hut.

Happy Joe's is the ultimate relic stuck in the 80's. Casey's Taco pizza taste just as good as anything Happy Joe's has ever put out.

BAN THIS MAN. Happy Joe's is amazing. Have you ever had their taco pizza? Lord have mercy.
I have. Meh.

If a taco is really good...why would you want to put average pizza crust underneath it.

"Taco Pizza" became popular because good tacos or pizza weren't easy to come by in the late 70s in Iowa. Throw them together (even in mediocre fashion) and you can win a lot of small town minds with clever sleight of hand. Happy Joe's did just that.

Marketing genius. Culinary blasphemy.

Last edited:
I have. Meh.

If a taco is really good...why would you want to put average pizza crust underneath it.

"Taco Pizza" became popular because good tacos or pizza weren't easy to come by in the late 70s in Iowa. Throw them together (even in mediocre fashion) and you can win a lot of small town minds with clever sleight of hand. Happy Joe's did just that.

Marketing genius. Culinary blasphemy.
Ban this clown. "Culinary blasphemy?" I think not. Iowa invented the entire category of "fusion" with this brilliant strategy of combining two of the greatest foods ever. Now like half the restaurants are "fusion."

Casey's pizza beats everything in Iowa. I don't care if it's a regionally mass-produced gas station grease vessel.

I've had New York, Detroit, and Chicago style pizza in all three of those cities.

I've had Neapolitan pizza in too many joints to mention.

They all have their place. But Casey's is ours and it stands up with the rest of them because it's not fake. It's unapologetic. It's Iowa-style pizza that unifies us just like the Tigerhawk and we should wear it like a badge. Gotta feed 25 coworkers quick after an 11:30 meeting that ran long through the noon hour? I need 5 large pepperonis, 3 large tacos, and 3 large all meats, please.

All your buddies end up at your place after 27 holes in 92 degree weather and a twelver of Busch Lattes a piece? We're calling Caseys.

Hungover and running late to work on that Saturday morning you weren't supposed to be working anyway and then halfway there you realize you left your employee badge in that heavy chick's car who kept trying to sit really close to you and telling you about her kid and now you have to ask someone for her number? You grab a slice of Casey's sausage breakfast and a 20 oz Dew and it'll take the edge right off of that situation.

Got an end-of-the-year party for your 3rd grader's baseball team? You know where you're going.

Everyone finished with the brisket you smoked for lunch on Saturday and now your peeps are hungry again and buzzin as the Hawks are about to kick off at 7PM against Penn State? Bingo.

It's us, folks. It's as much a part of our identity as Tigerhawks, hog farms, corn fields, and HyVee mac salad. Get the hell over yourselves.

Casey's pizza beats everything in Iowa. I don't care if it's a regionally mass-produced gas station grease vessel.

I've had New York, Detroit, and Chicago style pizza in all three of those cities.

They all have their place. But Casey's is ours and it stands up with the rest of them because it's not fake. It's unapologetic. It's Iowa-style pizza that unifies us just like the Tigerhawk and we should wear it like a badge. Gotta feed 25 coworkers quick after an 11:30 meeting that ran long through the noon hour? I need 5 large pepperonis, 3 large tacos, and 3 large all meats, please.

All your buddies end up at your place after 27 holes in 92 degree weather and a twelver of Busch Lattes a piece? We're calling Caseys.

Hungover and running late to work on that Saturday morning you weren't supposed to be working anyway and then halfway there you realize you left your employee badge in that heavy chick's car who kept trying to sit really close to you and telling you about her kid and now you have to ask someone for her number? You grab a slice of Casey's sausage breakfast and a 20 oz Dew and it'll take the edge right off of that situation.

Got an end-of-the-year party for your 3rd grader's baseball team? You know where you're going.

Everyone finished with the brisket you smoked for lunch on Saturday and now your peeps are hungry again and buzzin as the Hawks are about to kick off at 7PM against Penn State? Bingo.

It's us, folks. It's as much a part of our identity as Tigerhawks, hog farms, corn fields, and HyVee mac salad. Get the hell over yourselves.

This is a taco thread, bud. I'll allow your post to stand because you mentioned taco pizza, but let's try to get back on topic here.

Ban this clown. "Culinary blasphemy?" I think not. Iowa invented the entire category of "fusion" with this brilliant strategy of combining two of the greatest foods ever. Now like half the restaurants are "fusion."

Let's not forget loose meat sandwiches.

My wife likes Taco pizza. After reading this, I may have to surprise her with a Happy Joe's taco pizza some night. Damn you!

Solid. Nicely done.

The bold goes into the Hall Of Fame section.

Let's not forget loose meat sandwiches.

My wife likes Taco pizza. After reading this, I may have to surprise her with a Happy Joe's taco pizza some night. Damn you!
Get freaky and try a Nacho Joe pizza instead. It's like a taco pizza, but the sauce is nacho cheese instead of refried bean pizza sauce.

I respect your passion, O'Keefe. I'll leave it at that.

I have been eating Tasty Tacos in Des Moines since 1960 if not before. I have eaten Taco Tico and the other two types of Tacos and I vote for Tasty Tacos and another reason is their hot sauce is really good.

It has been awhile since I ate at the other three places not Tasty Tacos but Taco John's is # 2 in this list to me.

But there are a whole lot of taco hispanic food trucks in Des Moines that are really good as is Abelardos which is maybe best for the money.
Right on! Tasty tacos and the hot sauce.
Abelardos has the Adobado Buritto. Napkins please!

Latest posts