Slightly OT - Best quick tacos in Iowa bracket

Dude, I've been in the kitchen of a John's (don't ask, not that great a story I was franchise shopping). Fresh ingredients..beats the hell out of Bell. The 2-3 game is definitely the Championship game. Could go either way...the winner takes the title game in a blowout of either Bell or Tico.

Who are your picks and what franchise did you buy?

I worked in a TJs for 6 years and basically ate that place daily. IMO they are far and away #1. You have to ask but adding onions and tomatoes is key for me. No charge for that in mtown.

Tico over Bell in one semi (Bell's soft zone defense of pre-packed preservative loaded ingredients gets undressed)

John's over Tasty in a barn burner (lots of pure tacoball... nice ingredient-handling and fresh moves)

John's over Tico in the final.

On a side note, Panchero's knocked out in the first round of the NIT nacho classic

Didn't go with a franchise, invested in real estate instead.

Unfortunately, I've never had Tasty Tacos yet. I have had Taco Tico's (Mason City)

Game #1 Taco Ticos takes the game by 25 pts. No challenge there.

Game #2 Tasty Tacos takes the game just on reputation alone. Sounds to be a little more authentic than John's.

C-Ship Game: Taco Tico's vs Tasy Tacos in what should be a slug fest.

Dude, I've been in the kitchen of a John's (don't ask, not that great a story I was franchise shopping). Fresh ingredients..beats the hell out of Bell. The 2-3 game is definitely the Championship game. Could go either way...the winner takes the title game in a blowout of either Bell or Tico.
Right but beating Taco Bell out isn't really much to brag about.
Some friends and I used to do Taco Tuesday years ago. Nothing like ordering 40 tacos. Lol
My biggest thing is with most "fast" food tacos is they skimp so bad. I really don't do fast food anymore, but I'd rather pay a little more and have more than two little pieces of tomato on them.
They are messy anyway, so load them bad boys up!!
The only other thing is grease, some places are so greasy the shells fall apart in a few minutes.
Taco Bell used to have this steak thing that was browned in some contraption and it wasn't bad.
Otherwise TJ's street tacos are their best, but I avoid the potato Oles. To many times of grease grease grease.

3SixPack__t670.jpg
Potato Oles are fantastic, their Taco Bravos are delicious

e877558926b343885c70d09847e3dc94.jpg

^^^^ lol^^^^^
When have you ever had TJ's that looked like that?
It's like 99% of women's fb pictures. False advertising.

^^^^ lol^^^^^
When have you ever had TJ's that looked like that?
It's like 99% of women's fb pictures. False advertising.

Yeah, there's a lot of makeup work and a few filters running on those pictures. The lettuce is too green. The tomatoes are too red. The cheese, lettuce and tomatoes are never interspersed like that.

Right but beating Taco Bell out isn't really much to brag about.
Some friends and I used to do Taco Tuesday years ago. Nothing like ordering 40 tacos. Lol
My biggest thing is with most "fast" food tacos is they skimp so bad. I really don't do fast food anymore, but I'd rather pay a little more and have more than two little pieces of tomato on them.
They are messy anyway, so load them bad boys up!!
The only other thing is grease, some places are so greasy the shells fall apart in a few minutes.
Taco Bell used to have this steak thing that was browned in some contraption and it wasn't bad.
Otherwise TJ's street tacos are their best, but I avoid the potato Oles. To many times of grease grease grease.

The problem with the lowest end TB tacos is that you need to combine the innards of three tacos into one shell to actually have a passable taco. When I get a bite of lettuce and shell I get almost as enraged as Orenthal did when he saw his wife with Ron Goldman. But the shells lack the tensile strength to easily combine them. It's not like Arby's where you could get the 5 for $5 deal and toss buns to consolidate your purchase into one or two delicious Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches.

Give me the #1 vs. #3 matchup.

Taco shells made out of Doritos was a stroke of genius. Also, 5 dollars goes a lot farther(further?)at TB than it does at TJ. Best thing about TJ isn’t the Tacos, but it is the potato oles that wonderful seasoning they put on those tater tots should be used for the actual cuisine.

I am with Mroylmpia I am not going to Ft. Dodge unless I have to. That’s equivalent to going to Hickory Park for barbecue.

Tasty Taco speaks for itself. Nothing better than cheap authentic Mexican food. That’s my shit.:)

Last edited:
Give me the #1 vs. #3 matchup.

Taco shells made out of Doritos was a stroke of genius. Also, 5 dollars goes a lot farther(further?)at TB than it does at TJ. Best thing about TJ isn’t the Tacos, but it is the potato oles that wonderful seasoning they put on those tater tots should be used for the actual cuisine.

I am with Mroylmpia I am not going to Ft. Dodge unless I have to. That’s equivalent to going to Hickory Park for barbecue.

Tasty Taco speaks for itself. Nothing better than cheap authentic Mexican food. That’s my shit.:)

The Doritos Locos Taco was the single greatest innovation in fast food bince the advent of the McDLT or possibly the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger at Hardee's that used to come on that oblong oval shaped bun. No single menu item has revolutionized a chain like that in decades. And I agree with you, the $5 fill up box at TB is just an absurd amount of food for the price - in a world where businesses have pushed stealth price hikes through shrinkflation, Taco Bell doubled the hell down and took a package of food that would have cost $8 ten years ago and priced it at $5 today. And it's just the right amount of food because had you crossed that $8 threshold ten years ago, 30 minutes after eating it you would have inevitably asked yourself "why did I spend $10 to feel like this?"

It's truly unfortunate that you don't want to go to Fort Dodge to try Taco Tico. In addition to Taco Tico, there are many other attractions in Fort Dodge like Tom Thumb Burgers, which made me puke once, a Hy-Vee, a Wal-Mart and a Pizza Ranch restaurant that has an all you can eat buffet. It's a truly remarkable town with a vibrant and diverse mix of niche retail and restaurant businesses. You might be surprised that you can also get a glimpse into the future by visiting Crossroads Mall, which is down to almost no stores, so you can see what the mall of the future will look like!

Jesus, just looking at that 6 pack and a pound makes me sick. I can't believe I used to eat one of those things solo and could still put down and additional taco or two.
but the standard hard shell tacos are light and not very filling, that is why I always get a few taco bravos with 2 hard shells.