Redshirt Gabe Next Year...... NOT SO FAST!!!

Well said.

I do disagree with the hockey line changes at times, and feel things should be a little more staggered (or at least at certain times). But there are long droughts with a wide range of different lineups.
Agreed...we all disagree with them, when they don't work...but Fran's dilemma is that he has confidence all of his guys, it's not just hyperbole to him, so he gives them time to work it out when most of us would like the changes and tinkering to happen at a faster pace.

Funny thing is, none of this is new to this style of play...it was before the internet and fan sites got going, but it was a common criticism of Mr. Davis as well.

Seems like the prevailing opinion about May before this season started is similar to the way some feel about McCabe here. McCabe's minutes will probably be down a little next year, but I think there's a good possibility that those minutes will be productive. Maybe not a lot of scoring, but rather doing the little things necessary to win.

It seems like the same people hating on McCabe/Ogelsby are the same ones who criticized May for being no good!

LOL, no its a general idea because that exactly what it is. And its not debatable because you cannot define it as any certain tangible thing.

Also, I was not complaining about substitution patterns but dividing up to few minutes between to many players. Different.

While the scoring droughts happen they happen more often when the better scorers are on the bench.

My argument is that the ten man rotation would be better to be trimmed down to 8 like most other teams do. It lets the players develop more of a rhythm without going to the bench constantly.
You can twist it and be wrong all night long...but it's still not going to work out for you. And substitution patterns are directly related to dividing up minutes...feel free to tell us which 2 guys are killing us to make your "trim it 10 to 8" argument the season turnaround you want it to be. I'll spot you one...Ogles3 shooting too much. Where's the other player you want trimmed out of the equation that would give Iowa 24 wins?

Are you going to bench everyone who F'd up down the stretch vs Wisconsin in Madison? Michigan State at CHA? Everyone but Darian Stokes at Nebby? Same at Purdon't...

Most of Iowa's "rhythm" problems happen because they only have 1 guy (Dev) who can create his own shot, no one who can drain the 3 consistently and 2 Freshman PGs (who improved greatly over the course of the season)...the 10 man rotation isn't Iowa's problem...it was inexperience, lack of a pure scorer and in some cases (at Madison) terrible luck.

Zach has a role on this team. sportstalent may not like him, but i don't care. he's willing to be that scrappy, come off the bench guy. he might get only 10min a game next year, and while i doubt he'd be happy about that, he's a team player and will accept that role.

If he gets 10 to 15 minutes a game, the guy playing ahead of him deserves it and we're winning...I think he will be very happy. He has been quoted as saying he hates losing.

I didn't say I don't like 15, but look at how Iowa defends with him not playing a major role. He has had some decent games, but his numbers are way, way down and he gets a pass for playing hard and has a chip? Whatever.

His numbers are down because his minutes are down. He doesn't mope and whine he just plays when he's asked to play and sits when he's asked to sit.

Not at all actually...I am and have been done with that...different player who hasn't progressed at all and has regressed more than any player in one year than I seen in a long time. He "plays hard and is tough" that isn't enough given the way he shot the ball last year compares to this year.

That was enough to get on the court for me when I coached. It won't get as much playing time as some other guys but it will get a guy on the court...absolutely without question.

Some of the offensive woes this year were due to youth. I think more of it was due to the emphasis from day 1 on defense. Fran is building a program and the glaring weakness coming into this season was defense. The current players should pass the importance of defense to incoming players. This now allows Fran to focus on offense, the fast break, the full court press, etc.

Side Note - I love Fran's out-of-bounds plays under our own basket. We get a lot of easy baskets and/or good looks out of those plays.

So that 25% decrease equals a 15% decrease in his shooting %...please explain. His pure stat numbers are going to be down with less minutes...big shocker there.

I don't get it. You go from crusading against all the Oglesby hate for weeks, to applying those haters' basic logic to McCabe at the drop of a hat? Yet the two aren't connected at all.

I don't get it. You go from crusading against all the Oglesby hate for weeks, to applying those haters' basic logic to McCabe at the drop of a hat? Yet the two aren't connected at all.

Why do you insinuate that I am hating on McCabe...I am just disappointed he has fallen off so much from last year to this year...nobody really talks about it. He has regressed a ton, but people appreciate that he tries hard and are content to ignore the fact that his shooting has took a huge nosedive. It isn't because he is playing less...what the hell happened?

I will say it again this has nothing to do with JO that ship has sailed dude...moved on...not worth it.

Also with everything Iowa added with the freshman I thought he would be a great bench player causing matchup issues and being a consistent scorer off the bench.

Why do you insinuate that I am hating on McCabe...I am just disappointed he has fallen off so much from last year to this year...nobody really talks about it. He has regressed a ton, but people appreciate that he tries hard and are content to ignore the fact that his shooting has took a huge nosedive. It isn't because he is playing less...what the hell happened?

I didn't say you were hating on him. But you've been fairly chippy in this thread. And not chippy because people think you hate McCabe, but chippy with regards to the general opinion on him (plays hard, etc.). Calling for less minutes rather than just wondering what happened to cause the dropoff (at least earlier in the thread). Certainly not in line with your post history, and it's throwing me for a loop. It would make sense if you hadn't let go of the Oglesby stuff and were just trying to make a point by applying the "hate" to a different player. I'll take you at your word that you've let that go, but that's why this is so confusing to me.

I didn't say you were hating on him. But you've been fairly chippy in this thread. And not chippy because people think you hate McCabe, but chippy with regards to the general opinion on him (plays hard, etc.). Calling for less minutes rather than just wondering what happened to cause the dropoff (at least earlier in the thread). Certainly not in line with your post history, and it's throwing me for a loop. It would make sense if you hadn't let go of the Oglesby stuff and were just trying to make a point by applying the "hate" to a different player. I'll take you at your word that you've let that go, but that's why this is so confusing to me.

Every now and then emotions of watching a player just regress with no hint of an issue cause someone to go a tad overboard initially. He has been the most disappointing player for me this year given the year and he proved to be a capable shooter something Iowa really needs. We all know he will never play defense, but he was the one proven shooter coming back and he has done just awful...maybe he is missing Gatens and trying too hard...

It doesn't change the fact that his % has dropped so much and nobody really has noticed...nobody else on the roster had proven to be a capable 3-pt shooter coming back except for McCabe.

Latest posts