Redshirt Gabe Next Year...... NOT SO FAST!!!

he's tough. and we don't really have many tough guys. getting there though. he's sticking with McCabe and JO. we'll see how much next year.

will also be really telling when we see how next year's recruiting class looks. that should give everyone a good idea on who might be getting looked over for minutes down the road.

Who cares that 15 is tough, what does he really contribute night in and night out, if the only thing you can come up with is hustle, he should be at UNI. That is not a knock really it isn't, it is just reality, he would be a good player for that program. He has had severe drop off in his numbers this year, but because he plays hard it has been far overlooked and I don't get it.

Why do people assume that Jok, Uthoff and Meyer (especially Meyer) are going to come in and get a ton of minutes? I can see minutes for Jok/Utoff if they live up to their shooting reputations, but Meyer is going to buried and not get a lot of playing time. Look younger guys like Ingram, Meyer and even Jok/Utoff if they aren't playing major roles or a ton of minutes it is not a bad thing.

Think about it folks, all starters return, all of them pre-Gesell injury. May is gone and the rest of the bench that has been a huge part for Iowa this season is back. That said, I do think Utoff/Jok play a lot, but maybe not the roles that people are already putting them on. It makes Iowa a deeper and scarier team for sure, but let the coaches work out the rest.

Olaseni, there is no need to redshirt him and a moth ago I was in favor of it. I want to see him and Woodbury play together, they did some today, yeah no rebounds for Nebby when they were in there. Olaseni has the athleticism to play the PF position and Woodbury is going to develop the jumper from the high post. What is great, Iowa is putting a lot of talent on its roster and isn't losing a lot of talent from this year.

he's tough. and we don't really have many tough guys. getting there though. he's sticking with McCabe and JO. we'll see how much next year.

will also be really telling when we see how next year's recruiting class looks. that should give everyone a good idea on who might be getting looked over for minutes down the road.

Also, if you don't think Woodbury, White and Basabe aren't tough then you haven't been paying attention to Iowa's inside player's performance this season. It is clearly why Iowa has been better and the re-emergence of Basabe and with Woodbury coming in playing as hard as he does makes a huge difference.

Iowa has more tough guys than you think. Woodbury plays harder than any player on the roster and is tough given his stature for a 7'1" guy and he does so many good things that other players his size don't.

Who cares that 15 is tough, what does he really contribute night in and night out, if the only thing you can come up with is hustle, he should be at UNI. That is not a knock really it isn't, it is just reality, he would be a good player for that program. He has had severe drop off in his numbers this year, but because he plays hard it has been far overlooked and I don't get it.

Why do people assume that Jok, Uthoff and Meyer (especially Meyer) are going to come in and get a ton of minutes? I can see minutes for Jok/Utoff if they live up to their shooting reputations, but Meyer is going to buried and not get a lot of playing time. Look younger guys like Ingram, Meyer and even Jok/Utoff if they aren't playing major roles or a ton of minutes it is not a bad thing.

Think about it folks, all starters return, all of them pre-Gesell injury. May is gone and the rest of the bench that has been a huge part for Iowa this season is back. That said, I do think Utoff/Jok play a lot, but maybe not the roles that people are already putting them on. It makes Iowa a deeper and scarier team for sure, but let the coaches work out the rest.

Olaseni, there is no need to redshirt him and a moth ago I was in favor of it. I want to see him and Woodbury play together, they did some today, yeah no rebounds for Nebby when they were in there. Olaseni has the athleticism to play the PF position and Woodbury is going to develop the jumper from the high post. What is great, Iowa is putting a lot of talent on its roster and isn't losing a lot of talent from this year.

this is why i feel a whole lot better about the improvement next season as opposed to '91-'92

every starter back plus two nice additions and further improvement from gesell and woody

Also, if you don't think Woodbury, White and Basabe aren't tough then you haven't been paying attention to Iowa's inside player's performance this season. It is clearly why Iowa has been better and the re-emergence of Basabe and with Woodbury coming in playing as hard as he does makes a huge difference.

Iowa has more tough guys than you think. Woodbury plays harder than any player on the roster and is tough given his stature for a 7'1" guy and he does so many good things that other players his size don't.

touched a nerve eh?

woody is a classic red-azz (with soft hands and technically sound)

20 pounds and he's going to be a monster

It seems to me that McCabe is the one player that somehow makes that shot that turns the game around when we are getting our bums kicked around the court. We definitely needed him against Minnesota.

There will definitely be a place on this team for Zach next season...he brings toughness, effort, heart and the occasional 3, board or garbage bucket whenever we seem to need one the most...besides, who else do we want on that wall next year when Sheehy makes one of his stupid "look at me, homeboy" faces and needs to accidentally have a tooth knocked out??? No one...

I doubt it but Fran seems to love McCabe for some reason.

I think Fran sees something that many fans don't. Zach is a good player and is valuable in his 15 minutes. Plays good D, rebounds, takes the charge and has become one of the better passers on the team. I like him off the bench and think he will hold on to his 15 min per game next year.

Zach has a role on this team. sportstalent may not like him, but i don't care. he's willing to be that scrappy, come off the bench guy. he might get only 10min a game next year, and while i doubt he'd be happy about that, he's a team player and will accept that role.

I doubt it but Fran seems to love McCabe for some reason.

Maybe it's because he stuck with the program when others jumped ship when McCaffery took over.

Maybe it's because he practices his azz off.

Maybe it's because he's a good teammate.

Maybe it's because whenever he gets into the game he gives 110% for as long as he's out there.

Agree Its sucks for them but, it needs to be a reality. If they dont take big steps this off season Caff needs to sit them down and say there might not be many minutes for you next season.

Why does the coach have to explain to the players "there might not be as many minutes"? These players see it in practice and in the games if another player is excelling beyond their ability.

Yep, forget Gabe's red shirt (I was one of them talking about it), Gabe has arrived! 3 more blocks today.

There will definitely be a place on this team for Zach next season...he brings toughness, effort, heart and the occasional 3, board or garbage bucket whenever we seem to need one the most...besides, who else do we want on that wall next year when Sheehy makes one of his stupid "look at me, homeboy" faces and needs to accidentally have a tooth knocked out??? No one...

This. He brings an edge that not many other players on the team have. Woody has it; he gets pushed around at times, but he's far from soft. Basabe has shown a lot more toughness than in his first two years. White could be that kind of player, but I don't think he is right now.

There's a role for McCabe next year, and it's not as a benchwarmer. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Zach has a role on this team. sportstalent may not like him, but i don't care. he's willing to be that scrappy, come off the bench guy. he might get only 10min a game next year, and while i doubt he'd be happy about that, he's a team player and will accept that role.

I didn't say I don't like 15, but look at how Iowa defends with him not playing a major role. He has had some decent games, but his numbers are way, way down and he gets a pass for playing hard and has a chip? Whatever.

I didn't say I don't like 15, but look at how Iowa defends with him not playing a major role. He has had some decent games, but his numbers are way, way down and he gets a pass for playing hard and has a chip? Whatever.

This all stems from the Oglesby ire. That's all it is.

It seems to me that McCabe is the one player that somehow makes that shot that turns the game around when we are getting our bums kicked around the court. We definitely needed him against Minnesota.

The reason Iowa is getting their bums kicked in the first place is usually Fran pulling all the starters.

Every good team has a guy like McCabe on it. He's a real tough hombre and makes plays others don't because of his hustle. Whether you like it/agree or not, there will ALWAYS be minutes for a guy like McCabe. I for one really admire his game and the way he plays.

Hell yeah zm gets recruited. Every team needs a player like him, tough, dies dirty work, unselfish, fundamental, can shoot....excellent guy to have on a team.

Latest posts