**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Dang it ... :)

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Alfonso Soriano has told Cubs he will not go to Giants in trade

Call me naive, but I just don't understand the Maholm/Johnson trade. I understand trying to trade Dempster, but Maholm is a 30 year old lefty just coming into his own and Johnson is their best utility player who is making a pittance. Even at this early point in the rebuilding, you need to hang onto the players that are going to be your building blocks and try to unload your deadwood and aging players who still have some value.

Last edited:
The Cubs won't be good for another few years. They need young pitching. I'm okay with the trade, but I likes Maholm

Vizcaino was one of the Braves' untouchables last year. Had TJ surgery in spring training. If he can regain form from that, it would be a helluva return for Maholm and Reed.

This trade could work out very well for Chicago in the long term.

Also looks like the Reds and Blue Jays are honing in on Garza. His injury didn't affect his trade value afterall it looks like, and a team in need of pitching will pony up to get him now.

Expect Dempster to get his wish and sent to LAD tomorrow. Unless that Nats swoop in on him and he accepts. Nationals were said to be zeroing in on him after laying back.

I know a lot of us hate to see Maholm go but let's put this into perspective this is a classic selling high. Even with Maholm's hot stretch he is still 17 games below .500 and an ERA of 4.30. Getting a top 40 prospect pitcher in return is huge!

Also Chapman the other pitcher in the deal was in AAA. So the Braves #4 prospect and a decent 25 yr. old arm to throw in the pen I think is a pretty decent deal for Maholm/Johnson.

Lets just hope the Dempster/Soriano can net Lee and a couple lower tiered arms and I honestly think that the Blue Jays could give us a pretty decent hall for Garza (maybe Gose or d'Arnaud and a few other top prospects

Call me naive, but I just don't understand the Maholm/Johnson trade. I understand trying to trade Dempster, but Maholm is a 30 year old lefty just coming into his own and Johnson is their best utility player who is making a pittance. Even at this early point in the rebuilding, you need to hang onto the players that are going to be your building blocks and try to unload your deadwood and aging players who still have some value.

Maholm and Johnson are not building blocks. Neither were signed to long term deals because of that. I like Maholm, but he's a 4 in the rotation at best and you don't build around that, especially if you get a kid who has great potential in Vizcaino. Johnson is one of my favorite cubs, but I doubt he would be a cub next year anyway. Got clear the way for younger outfielders. The actual building blocks.

I'm not too happy about maholm and Johnson to ATL either. But if you think about what you just said, these two guys fit the description of the deadwood a little bit. Don't let the cubs-fan man crush on Johnson (we all have it) fog your vision. IMO, he isn't one of those "building blocks". And maholm probably isn't either, but man is he pitching well right now. I think the guy they traded FOR, coming off tommy John, will be a building block. But who knows

Last edited:
Building blocks are young and have potential. Johnson, Maholm and Soto are aging and have peaked so to speak. maholm is at his best right now and I don't expect him to maintain that level. Was he a good pitcher, yes, but the cubs are a few years away and he would likely have either left in free agency or become "old" by the time that was going to happen. In Vizcaino they got a guy that could be a legit #2 starter if healthy or a good closer if he can't be stretched out as starter. Love the deal.

Also Chapman the other pitcher in the deal was in AAA. So the Braves #4 prospect and a decent 25 yr. old arm to throw in the pen I think is a pretty decent deal for Maholm/Johnson.

Lets just hope the Dempster/Soriano can net Lee and a couple lower tiered arms and I honestly think that the Blue Jays could give us a pretty decent hall for Garza (maybe Gose or d'Arnaud and a few other top prospects

Are you just thinking out loud? Or is that somethug with a little substance behind it? Because that catcher prospect would be sweet. And I haven't heard anything about toronto. Sounds a little dreamy for a deadline deal, that would be a great trade. Apparently that guy in unreal

I would not rule out "dreamy" deals just yet with this administration. In my mind the deal they pulled off last night getting Vizcaino was "dreamy". Here all the rumors were surrounding Dempster & Garza and out of no where players get yanked in the game last night and they land a top 40 prospect.

The Cubs desperately need upper level pitching prospects as most of their prospects are in the lower levels and so far that is what the Epstein/Hoyer are going out and getting.

Latest posts