**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

dude the cubs are the only team in baseball that would even have this guy on the roster. nobody's going to trade for him. he's probably not even above double a for anybody else in baseball.
You are probably right Duff..I have to admit I have a soft spot for Campana. My son plays HS baseball and he is almost a carbon copy of him in looks and plays the same position.
Obviously my son isn't as fast ,but he is an excellent base runner. Hits above avg and also hits for power.

You are probably right Duff..I have to admit I have a soft spot for Campana. My son plays HS baseball and he is almost a carbon copy of him in looks and plays the same position.
Obviously my son isn't as fast ,but he is an excellent base runner. Hits above avg and also hits for power.

If what you say is true, then he is not a carbon copy of Campana.

I do not understand the hate on Campana, he is young, fast, and is fun to watch. He had a bad game yesterday although his last at bat should have drove in a run but Listach failed to send Valbuena. A number of teams would love to have someone on the bench that has that kind of speed.

nobody hates campana. most of us just recognize hes an extremely flawed baseball player that has no place on a sucessful mlb roster.

Everybody loves Campana's defense. He gets to balls because he is fast, but he has no arm. He has great speed but struggles to get on base. At the moment he's a good bench player, can he develop maybe, but I don't know. time will tell, but right now he's not a player I would consider an everyday player or big part of the cub's future.

For the first time since I can remember when teh cubs were sellers they actually have something to sell that can bring back some value. Hendry always has waited too long on guys like DLee etc. or wouldn't part with them because he thought they would help long term. Also he never brought back a worthwhile prospect in a trade. Can anyone remember anyone of value that came through a trade at the deadline for the cubs?? (Not when the cubs were buyers like Aramis, but when they were sellers like with Ted Lilly and such)

Campana is a waste of a uniform.
I would not give up on him just yet.. He is a good defender and causes havac on the bases. If he can figure out the batting ,he is an asset. I bet he sticks in the majors,but the Cubs will likely trade him.
dude the cubs are the only team in baseball that would even have this guy on the roster. nobody's going to trade for him. he's probably not even above double a for anybody else in baseball.

duff if this is true than expect more and more yrs of losing because that would say a lot about the mlb, aaa, and aa teams in the cubs organization if campana can play mlb ball for the cubs but wouldnt make a double a squad for the other organizations.

campana is another version a theriot, fontenot, and barney...he is a back up that can have spot starts and bring some fire to the bench. the problem is the cubs are so looking for stars and wins that they grasp at guys like campana who are role players yet fun to watch and think they are a big star. he is a serviceable 4th or 5th outfielder but nothing more.

Look, I never said Campana would be an every day starter in center field, hopefully that will be Jacksons job soon. But he makes a damn good utility player off the bench and can be used as a pinch runner, players like Campana can help the team win games. So in my opinion since this season is a waste anyway, give Campana the experience. The Dodgers are starting someone every day that is a worse hitter than Campana at shortstop, Dee Gordon (.277 OBP).

Dee Gordon and Tony Campana are not comparable. Different skill sets entirely. They have one thing in common - they are fast.

Campana should be compared with players at the same position, not a friggin infielder. C'mon, you're smarter than that ssckelley.

The trades are starting. Marlins got Carlos Lee from the Astros for their #2 prospect (Matt Dominguez 3B) and #9 prospect (Rob Rasmussen LHP).

Lee is is the final year of his deal and is hitting .287/.336/.411 this season with 5 HR and 29 RBIs, not bad numbers, but not the great slugger he once was. To get that amount of prospects for those numbers is a really good sign for me with Dempster and Garza bringing a good return. Even provides some hope for me with Soriano and Soto, that they can get moved, maybe not on the return side, but at least get moved.

Dee Gordon and Tony Campana are not comparable. Different skill sets entirely. They have one thing in common - they are fast.

Campana should be compared with players at the same position, not a friggin infielder. C'mon, you're smarter than that ssckelley.

It is comparable, Dee Gordon is a worse hitter than Campana and he is not a very good shortstop. He is in the Dodger lineup mainly for his speed and the Dodgers are not rebuilding.

Dee Gordon and Tony Campana are not comparable. Different skill sets entirely. They have one thing in common - they are fast.Campana should be compared with players at the same position, not a friggin infielder. C'mon, you're smarter than that ssckelley.
It is comparable, Dee Gordon is a worse hitter than Campana and he is not a very good shortstop. He is in the Dodger lineup mainly for his speed and the Dodgers are not rebuilding.

Gordon has so much more potential than Campana. Its really not the same. Campana is below average all around (besides on the bases).

For those who think Campana has no place on an MLB roster, consider these numbers of a recently (4 years ago) outfielder:

BA: .266
OBP: .342
Slug %: .366
SB: 243

Those numbers came over 10 years for Dave Roberts. Roberts was never anything special, but his speed kept a spot warm for him on a roster. And his stolen base in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS sparked the greatest comeback in sports history.

Here's an except from a 2005 article about that play:

But it is Roberts, the journeyman outfielder, whose star shines a bit brighter in the storytelling than the other two (Kevin Millar, who drew the leadoff walk from Mo Rivera, and Bill Mueller). For, in theory, any position player on the roster could have done what Millar and Mueller did. But no one else on the roster could have done what Roberts did, and everyone knows it.

''When I was with the Dodgers," Roberts reflects, ''Maury Wills once told me that there will come a point in my career when everyone in the ballpark will know that I have to steal a base, and I will steal that base. When I got out there, I knew that was what Maury Wills was talking about."

Roberts has the edge on Campana in OBP and slugging, but Campana can improve his OBP simply by drawing more walks. That doesn't require some kind of drastic change in his physical ability, and it's something that could give him real value off the bench.

Bottom line: there is ALWAYS a place for the guy who you know can, and will, steal a base when you absolutely have to have it. There aren't many guys out there who can do that, and certainly not in Campana's price range. Everyday starter? Certainly not. But he's got a place in the future.

One of my favorite baseball cards from when I was young(er)... Gotta love Charlie Finley.

washington-herb.jpg

Unique back of the card

CA-hwashington-bk+75T+IMG_NEW.jpg

Latest posts