Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

1/2 game out of first. Unreal! These nest 6 games are going to be huge. It would be nice for a change to have the lead before the All Star break. I would feel much better if they would give Montgomery a starting job. Love flying the W.

I will have the chance to see Lester in action Saturday, can't wait......heading out tomorrow. I think we take the lead in the division and never look back. Gotta stay healthy. I agree on Chatwood, guys a train wreck.....no consistency

I will have the chance to see Lester in action Saturday, can't wait......heading out tomorrow. I think we take the lead in the division and never look back. Gotta stay healthy. I agree on Chatwood, guys a train wreck.....no consistency
I'm jealous! I haven't been to Wrigley in quite awhile in fact Big Z beat St. Louis that day. Had a whole row of St. Louis fans sitting in front of me and they didn't care for me to much. It was a payback for how I was treated in St. Louis!

Montgomery with the win over the P-Rats today 3-1. Mike only gave up 1 walk! Take notice Chatwood!

Chatwood has to be feeling the heat for sure. Thing is, you can't put a guy in the pen who has control issues because you can't come in and walk guys out of the pen either. Wonder if he has options left? We are paying him pretty decent too.

I liked the Chatwood signing before the season, but now all of a sudden he doesn't know how to throw a strike. I'd much rather see Montgomery in the rotation. He actually seems to pitch better out of the rotation than the bullpen.

Chatwood has to be feeling the heat for sure. Thing is, you can't put a guy in the pen who has control issues because you can't come in and walk guys out of the pen either. Wonder if he has options left? We are paying him pretty decent too.
I'm sure Theo has something in mind for him. This might turn out to be the worst deal Theo has made.

Because Maddon has to prove that he is the smartest in the room. Those people, whether it is Maddon, Tony Larussa, Cliff Clavin, or a fifth grader who names the capitals of every South American country at a birthday party, inevitably annoy us over time. He saved Baez for the right spot, though. It iced the game.

What drives me nuts is when a reliever blows the opposition away in his inning of work and isn't allowed to come out for the next inning. Especially if his replacement gets lit up. It's a sign of modern times, relievers like to start clean innings, not inherit someone else's mess. I'd prefer bringing back the days when starters went as long as they could. You'll never see another 300 game winner again, because the bullpen blows too many potential starter victories.

The other reason we'll never see another 300-game winner is because a starter has to go more than, oh, 2 1/2 innings before being "strategically" pulled. And when the next guy comes on, his seven pitches don't give him a chance for the win.

I really like the idea I saw, a proposed rule change limiting a team to four pitchers per game, and awarding a win as "Staff Win" if they use the full four and/or the starter doesn't go beyond the fourth winning with the lead. Exceptions can be made for injury/illness, especially if a game were to be suspended and continued later and the starter can't realistically take back up because of rotation, etc., at the time a game is resumed. (Example: game is suspended in fifth inning in May, gets resumed in July, but pitcher at time of suspension happened to pitch the day before game is resumed, or has been injured since the game was suspended).

This pitcher substitution crap is getting REALLY monotonous. In the "old" days, a guy got pulled, a new guy came on, and that was that. Now? Batting order flips, multiple position switches, catchers who only catch for certain pitchers, pinch runners who are only inserted when a left-handed pitcher is wearing a single-digit jersey number and is wearing an "away" uniform. Ridiculous.

I'm jealous! I haven't been to Wrigley in quite awhile in fact Big Z beat St. Louis that day. Had a whole row of St. Louis fans sitting in front of me and they didn't care for me to much. It was a payback for how I was treated in St. Louis!

it really is amazing, though, how "decent" a town St. Louis is, and how the airport experience there is rather pleasant, given the typical douche-level of the average Cardinals fan. Almost like the way Giuliani standing and applauding Arizona's WS a couple months after 9/11.

The other reason we'll never see another 300-game winner is because a starter has to go more than, oh, 2 1/2 innings before being "strategically" pulled. And when the next guy comes on, his seven pitches don't give him a chance for the win.

I really like the idea I saw, a proposed rule change limiting a team to four pitchers per game, and awarding a win as "Staff Win" if they use the full four and/or the starter doesn't go beyond the fourth winning with the lead. Exceptions can be made for injury/illness, especially if a game were to be suspended and continued later and the starter can't realistically take back up because of rotation, etc., at the time a game is resumed. (Example: game is suspended in fifth inning in May, gets resumed in July, but pitcher at time of suspension happened to pitch the day before game is resumed, or has been injured since the game was suspended).

This pitcher substitution crap is getting REALLY monotonous. In the "old" days, a guy got pulled, a new guy came on, and that was that. Now? Batting order flips, multiple position switches, catchers who only catch for certain pitchers, pinch runners who are only inserted when a left-handed pitcher is wearing a single-digit jersey number and is wearing an "away" uniform. Ridiculous.
When Rizzo hit his home run the other day, they cut away to the bullpen dancing like they always do. I don't know what was worse-the dancing or the fact that there were about nine relief pitchers doing it.

We're going to see a relief pitcher challenge 20 wins sometime soon. And it does get monotonous to watch the constant shuffling of relief pitchers game after game.

I liked the Chatwood signing before the season, but now all of a sudden he doesn't know how to throw a strike. I'd much rather see Montgomery in the rotation. He actually seems to pitch better out of the rotation than the bullpen.
Montgomery did well last season in the rotation too when .he filled in for Kyle Hendricks for about six weeks. But management seems to prefer him in the bullpen. It's a nice luxury to have but perhaps it wasn't necessary to sign two free agent starters one who can't find the strike zone and one who can't stay healthy. And they were worried about Arrieta's potential health because his velocity was down and he pitches across his body. It's a long season though and that may still come to fruition on someone else's watch.

Cubs beat the P-Rats 2-0. Lester tossed 7 innings and gave up only 1 hit. He's really rolling and I hope he can makes the All Star team. John sure deserves it.

Joe made 2 stupid moves today and the one is just stunning. Baez as the lead off? The guy swings at everything but a strike. Bryant needs to quit worrying about launch angle and stay away from the low ball. It's easy enough to strike out without these 2 chasing bad pitches. Ian Happ wouldn't even be playing if it wasn't for his fielding because he's just awful batting. Sooooooo let's take out our starting pitcher in the 5th. inning so we can hit into a double play anyway. Yes this game is all on Joe today. Should of sat Happ and played Tommy today for a change. Hell Tommy could of done the lead off thing a lot better!!!!! Ok I'm done ranting.

I'm sure Theo has something in mind for him. This might turn out to be the worst deal Theo has made.

The Heyward deal was looking pretty bad for quite awhile, he is owed big time money and years. Getting paid superstar money to play defense and ground out to 2nd. Chatwood's is nothing compared to it. Jason has picked it up a little lately which is needed big time.

As of right now, the YU Darvish signing is looking really bad. Lets hope he can do something 2nd half of the season, because IMO we need him to pitch at a high level to go a long ways in the postseason! We paid him ACE money to be an ACE.

As of right now, the YU Darvish signing is looking really bad. Lets hope he can do something 2nd half of the season, because IMO we need him to pitch at a high level to go a long ways in the postseason! We paid him ACE money to be an ACE.
It sure looks like he won't be back until at least after the break. Sure would be nice to have him backing clicking on all cylinders like he used to and to have Montgomery take Chatwoods spot in the rotation. Do you know what is wrong with Darvish? I thought it was his forearm?

It sure looks like he won't be back until at least after the break. Sure would be nice to have him backing clicking on all cylinders like he used to and to have Montgomery take Chatwoods spot in the rotation. Do you know what is wrong with Darvish? I thought it was his forearm?

Who knows at this point. Pretty frustrating. He's had tommy john once. Hopefully he'll be ok. I saw Ohtani is out for the year now with TJ, yikes.

Latest posts