Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

Cubs beat the Brewers 1-0 with the help of K. Schwarber home run. Hendricks gets the win and Morrow gets the save. Lots of great plays in this game. Almora is ridiculous out in center field. Glad he's a Cub! My flag is flying!

3-0 Cubs for 3 in a row! Q gets the win and Almora and Baez extend their hitting streak to 11 games. This is the 4th. time this season the Cubs have shutout the Brewers. Ben Z. and Bryant both were in the starting lineup today and the Cubs are starting to roll! Go Cubs Go!

Watching Yankees-Angels currently and the announcer/color commentator just said he likes Albert Pujols chances of getting his 3,000th hit soon.

Uh, I like the chances of the sun rising in the East tomorrow as well.

Watching Yankees-Angels currently and the announcer/color commentator just said he likes Albert Pujols chances of getting his 3,000th hit soon.

Uh, I like the chances of the sun rising in the East tomorrow as well.
That commentator really went out on a limb there! Lol

Cubs shut out the Brewers again! 2-0 for the 5th. shutout of the Brewers this season! Chatwood with the win and Morrow with the save! Go Cubs Go!

Cubs shut out the Brewers again! 2-0 for the 5th. shutout of the Brewers this season! Chatwood with the win and Morrow with the save! Go Cubs Go!

Great weekend for the Cubs! Offense didn't do a ton but it was wind blowing in and cold most of the time. Great pitching and defense. Unbelievable they have shut the brewers out 5 times already this year. I wonder what the record for one team shutting out another is in one year?

Well the first month of the season is finalized. The Cubs finish on a 5 game win streak and are finding ways to win games despite a lack of offense. Been a strange month. I look at it like this. We won 16 games which would put us over 90 wins if we averaged that over the next 5 months. We have been several games without Rizzo, Bryant and Zobrist, played in crap weather most of the month and have gotten zilch out of Rizzo so far in the lineup and very little out of Russel. We know the weather will turn finally, Rizzo is too good of player to continue his struggles so he'll turn it around. The bullpen has been pretty solid which was my big question mark entering the season. The starting pitching struggled early but in the last week has been phenomenal and is the key to our winning streak.
Overall, good solid start to the season and we are close to clicking on all cylinders. Health is key!

Well the first month of the season is finalized. The Cubs finish on a 5 game win streak and are finding ways to win games despite a lack of offense. Been a strange month. I look at it like this. We won 16 games which would put us over 90 wins if we averaged that over the next 5 months. We have been several games without Rizzo, Bryant and Zobrist, played in crap weather most of the month and have gotten zilch out of Rizzo so far in the lineup and very little out of Russel. We know the weather will turn finally, Rizzo is too good of player to continue his struggles so he'll turn it around. The bullpen has been pretty solid which was my big question mark entering the season. The starting pitching struggled early but in the last week has been phenomenal and is the key to our winning streak.
Overall, good solid start to the season and we are close to clicking on all cylinders. Health is key!
When the bats off Almora, Baez and Schwarber cool down the bats of Rizzo and Russel will hopefully heat up. And then in three or four weeks hopefully some else's will. Getting two or three guys hot at the same time over the course of 162 is what helps give a team staying power.

Contreras has had a quiet bat too. You know that bat will get hot.

You are seeing certain players go through the maturation process before our eyes. Guys who were striking out 150-180 times a year in 2015-2016 are cutting that down to hopefully around 100 per year. And that's the point when they will have truly arrived as bonafide hitters no longer susceptible to the prolonged excessive hitting slumps. In any case, the pitching and defense are certainly carrying day for the time being are they not!

Last edited:
In the past I've been very critical of Pedro Strop but I may have to eat my words because Pedro has been doing a pretty darn good job so far this season. Also J. Heyward has been on my bad side but is showing he's getting a handle on this batting thing. Lots of smashes that people are making some ridiculous snags on. Rizzo will turn it around. The pitching staff has been excellent and hopefully will hold on till the bats kick in. 5 in a row so let's keep it going! Go Cubs Go! Enjoying flying the W!

Was happy for Jorge Soler last night. He mashed a three run homer as Kansas City outlasted Boston in thirteen. I always liked him but I feel he may have been rushed to the majors ahead of schedule, he couldn't stay healthy, and Theo determined that Jorge was going to have to finish the maturation process on someone else's watch. Signing Jason Heyward spelled trouble for Soler; if Schwarber hadn't gone down with his knee Soler may have spent much of 2016 at AAA Iowa.

Anyway Soler is now a KC Royal and last year didn't work out too well either. He spent much of the summer at Omaha where he stayed healthy and did well. Now he is finally healthy, playing every day, hitting near .300 with walks, and hitting some home runs. Being a Cuban import, he was behind the curve when it came to nutrition, physical conditioning, etc. Now he is coming into his own and I'm happy for him.

P U ! The smell in Chicago is awful! OMGOODNESS I couldn't listen any longer but they did get their a$$ handed to them today! A butt whooping 11-2. Deep breath.............Friday Saturday and Sunday in St. Louis! Oh how I want to fly that flag all weekend just to pizz off the neighbor!

Was happy for Jorge Soler last night. He mashed a three run homer as Kansas City outlasted Boston in thirteen. I always liked him but I feel he may have been rushed to the majors ahead of schedule, he couldn't stay healthy, and Theo determined that Jorge was going to have to finish the maturation process on someone else's watch. Signing Jason Heyward spelled trouble for Soler; if Schwarber hadn't gone down with his knee Soler may have spent much of 2016 at AAA Iowa.

Anyway Soler is now a KC Royal and last year didn't work out too well either. He spent much of the summer at Omaha where he stayed healthy and did well. Now he is finally healthy, playing every day, hitting near .300 with walks, and hitting some home runs. Being a Cuban import, he was behind the curve when it came to nutrition, physical conditioning, etc. Now he is coming into his own and I'm happy for him.

We needed a closer, Soler was expendable and we got a stud closer last year which we desperately needed. Good trade for both. Soler is more of an AL player anyway, not a great Outfielder but could be a decent DH.

The offense is back to its old ways again. 3 runs or less in 8 straight games. I just scratch my head at our lineup as we have too good of lineup to struggle so mightily to score runs. Lucky for us, we won 5 straight in that span and got some bounces. We also miss Carlos Martinez this weekend I believe as he pitched today.

We needed a closer, Soler was expendable and we got a stud closer last year which we desperately needed. Good trade for both. Soler is more of an AL player anyway, not a great Outfielder but could be a decent DH.
All true but I still liked him. And we still have an expendable between Schwarber, Happ, Russell, Almora, and Baez. Five players fighting for four spots. I think Baez should have beaten out Russell for everyday shortstop and Happ should platoon with Russell at second and occasionally spell Schwarber or Heyward against lefties. I think Russell is more effective when you spot his at bats.
But maddon doesn't want to mess with the DP combo up the middle and that makes perfect sense too. In that scenario Happ backs up the three outfielders.

All true but I still liked him. And we still have an expendable between Schwarber, Happ, Russell, Almora, and Baez. Five players fighting for four spots. I think Baez should have beaten out Russell for everyday shortstop and Happ should platoon with Russell at second and occasionally spell Schwarber or Heyward against lefties. I think Russell is more effective when you spot his at bats.
But maddon doesn't want to mess with the DP combo up the middle and that makes perfect sense too. In that scenario Happ backs up the three outfielders.

Yeah someone was expendable, but Schwarber had proven more and that he could do it on the big stage. Plus he's lefthanded. A LH Hitter who has 35-40 HR potential is a commodity they don't give away usually. Almora is a premium defender. You hit the nail on the head, Russell is too good of defender and we'd see a big gap in range with Happ or Zo at 2b vs. Baez. I love Russell at SS, just need his bat to get going. I love Javy, but he can get careless and too flashy for me at SS sometimes. I think he's getting better at that. I like the guy who does it by the book there. Drives me nuts when Javy goes down to one knee to field a ground ball, cardinal sin. It's a good thing to have the depth we have, when we have an injury we don't miss a beat usually.

Kind of like saying bomb on an airplane.

And a lot of cardinal fans post on these boards.

Get south of Iowa City and you run into cardinal country on a hurry.
I'm surrounded by St. Louis fans but my Cub friends hold their own! Took a lot of crap over the years but we've been able to throw it back at em the last 3 or 4 years!

Latest posts